What's new

Open Comb before and after w/repair/disassembly

Now I would like to show some open combs that I have just finished recently. For the most part, they came in for some minor repairs and a thorough cleaning. Two of them will require plating in the future whereas the gold razor still looks fantastic. I believe this gold one is a big boy deluxe? Please correct me if I am wrong there. Anyways, BBD suffered from a stress crack on the compression fitting on the neck of the razor and someone switched the handle at one point and glued it so it has been upside down for some time. I was asked to switch it around and repair it if possible.

I believe the other two are a NO. 21 (it has "importe" on the lower smooth band) and a NEW Deluxe, again, please correct me if I am wrong gents. These two are the ones that will require plating but are in great shape, mechanically speaking.

Here are the before shots of the 21 and NEW deluxe:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424799440.715753.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424799453.818591.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424799475.598763.jpg

Last edited:
The Aristocrat is not a #21, Cap. Looks like what we call a pre #15, or the silver plated version of the 1st Generation UK Aristocrats. The #21 is a 2nd Generation razor, and it's a safety bar. :thumbup1:

The gold plated one is a New Improved Big Fellow. It is not part of the NEW family, but it's also a very nice looking razor.

And I bet that English 2 piece Criterion/Belmont would look awesome in silver. You're reading this, Matt? :tongue_sm

Fantastic as always, Cap! :thumbsup:

The Aristocrat is not a #21, Cap. Looks like what we call a pre #15, or the silver plated version of the 1st Generation UK Aristocrats. The #21 is a 2nd Generation razor, and it's a safety bar. :thumbup1:

The gold plated one is a New Improved Big Fellow. It is not part of the NEW family, but it's also a very nice looking razor.

And I bet that English 2 piece Criterion/Belmont would look awesome in silver. You're reading this, Matt? :tongue_sm

Fantastic as always, Cap! :thumbsup:

Edgar to the rescue once again! Thank you Sir! I was wondering if it might be a 15 as I have only had one other "Importe" in my shop and it was a 15. :lol: Should plate up to be gorgeous! Thank you for the info on those other two, I've never had em in my shop before but I agree.....the two-piece would look excellent in silver. Isn't that what it was originally plated in? I think both the 15 and this two-piece were, correct?

I thought so:biggrin: I actually gave those two the "silver tarnish bath" in accordance with the excellent tutorial here on B&B. The black started falling off both of them:thumbup: Ah....the fun we have with these old things:yesnod: 100 years from now, people aren't going to be gazing at old ProGlides:bored:

I thought so:biggrin: I actually gave those two the "silver tarnish bath" in accordance with the excellent tutorial here on B&B. The black started falling off both of them:thumbup: Ah....the fun we have with these old things:yesnod: 100 years from now, people aren't going to be gazing at old ProGlides:bored:

:lol:

That's for sure Cap.

Nuclearblast- Just wondering what is the best way to tell a pre #15 from a #15. How to tell silver plating from rhodium? Thanks

Nuclearblast- Just wondering what is the best way to tell a pre #15 from a #15. How to tell silver plating from rhodium? Thanks
The silver plated pre #15 is the only 1st Generation UK Aristocrat I've seen without the center-bar wings.

Distinguishing silver from rhodium based on pictures isn't always easy. But silver has a whitish tone and is less reflective for example.

On the #15, is the center bar silver toned or brass?

It's supposed to be plated ... :lol:

IIRC the second one you purchased is/was a silver plated pre #15, isn't it John? At least from what I remember that was the general consensus, that it would have been silver plated?

I can't access my 1936 silver plated french import and no. 15 but, if my memory isn't failing me again, the '36 silver plates is a few grams lighter than the Rhodium plated 15's.

btw: excellent work from CAP again

It's supposed to be plated ... :lol:

IIRC the second one you purchased is/was a silver plated pre #15, isn't it John? At least from what I remember that was the general consensus, that it would have been silver plated?

Mine was completely stripped. The center bar is like a silver nickel material.

The silver plated pre #15 is the only 1st Generation UK Aristocrat I've seen without the center-bar wings.

Distinguishing silver from rhodium based on pictures isn't always easy. But silver has a whitish tone and is less reflective for example.
Thank you for the clarification!

On target as usual, Edgar! That is a clear, concise description of the visual differences between the two finishes. I have always described silver as being very white - with a "soft" glow to it

Top Bottom