What's new

Open Comb before and after w/repair/disassembly

CAP, that Sheraton looks gorgeous! :thumbup1:
Yes, the epoxy on the #16 is a bummer. Sometimes you never know what you buy on the bay. Thank You for working on it and will look forward to the cleaned up razor.

CAP, that Sheraton looks gorgeous! :thumbup1:
Yes, the epoxy on the #16 is a bummer. Sometimes you never know what you buy on the bay. Thank You for working on it and will look forward to the cleaned up razor.

Man it sure is! I've got some photos of it in its nickel stage (courtesy of Chris Evatt) if you guys are interested. Even in bright nickel, it is absolutely brilliant.

As for your 16, I kind of suspected some tinkering. Luckily the epoxy or whatever it is came right off with little hot water. Whoever made the repair didn't do it right as it was adhesive on slick rhodium and THAT won't stick very well:facep:

Roopesh, I see you keep aquiring fine razors.
I'll PM you my address just in case you ever desied they a way too many for you.
:001_rolle

Roopesh, I keep seeing all these wonderful razors of yours but have any of them made it back home to you yet?

Sadly not for another three weeks. :bored: Almost there though.

Roopesh, I see you keep aquiring fine razors.
I'll PM you my address just in case you ever desied they a way too many for you.
:001_rolle

Sure buddy. :001_tongu But hey, once I lay all these Aristos together I may just feel that way. :laugh:

Man it sure is! I've got some photos of it in its nickel stage (courtesy of Chris Evatt) if you guys are interested. Even in bright nickel, it is absolutely brilliant.

As for your 16, I kind of suspected some tinkering. Luckily the epoxy or whatever it is came right off with little hot water. Whoever made the repair didn't do it right as it was adhesive on slick rhodium and THAT won't stick very well:facep:

Sure, pics are always welcome.
I let the seller know about this issue and he tells me this was part of a lot he picked up and his quick visual inspection didn't reveal anything besides the problematic doors.

Thanks Captain! Cant wait to see what my #21 looks like after Chris replates it. Glad you could fix the doors!
You are welcome Sir! I'm sure glad I closed that gap up on yours. Roopesh's just wasn't having it though. I hear Chris is making it look very nice though. We actually discussed the metallurgy of these old Brits over the phone and for some reason, they suffer from pitting, specifically, on the smooth bands on the handle.
Sadly not for another three weeks. :bored: Almost there though.
Sure buddy. :001_tongu But hey, once I lay all these Aristos together I may just feel that way. :laugh:
You'll have quite the collection!
Sure, pics are always welcome.
I let the seller know about this issue and he tells me this was part of a lot he picked up and his quick visual inspection didn't reveal anything besides the problematic doors.
Aye, a quick visual inspection might not have returned such a find. At any rate, this one cleaned up nicely and should perform well, now that the doors are back to their original shape.

Here are the photos of that Sheraton in its bright nickel stage:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424557420.253316.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424557426.710565.jpg

Here is your 15 Mike. There's not much of a before and after element here but it's always fun to just look at these Brits.

I did manage to remove a lot of that black residue that was in the tight knurling on the handle. In addition, the dropped knob has been repaired.

Before:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424626597.205735.jpg
Disassembly
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424626619.232467.jpg
After:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424626655.507520.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424626664.930747.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424626673.305157.jpg

After:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424750171.851064.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424750178.769804.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424750185.140589.jpg

Thank you for your hard work on this one, Chris. These numbered Brits occupy a lot of your time, as far as I understand.

OH WOW! Mr Scruffys #21 looks as beat up as mine. After seeing this I am really glad I sent mine to Chris as well. You two do amazing work!

OH WOW! Mr Scruffys #21 looks as beat up as mine. After seeing this I am really glad I sent mine to Chris as well. You two do amazing work!

You will not be sorry, my friend. Chris takes these numbered Brits one step at a time and there is a lot of surface work that must be done to these in order to take on such a high luster after plating. Chris's ability to turn these worn, pitted wonders of wet-shaving design into brilliant pieces or work like they once were continues to amaze me. Your Brit is going to look great after this meticulous craftsman is through with it:thumbup: Thank you for the kind words, Zed! I am sure that I speak for both of us when I say that it means a lot to hear it:yesnod:

Top Bottom