What's new

One Year, One Brand for 2016

Dapper Dragon Autumn Morning, Arctic Wyrm and Signature are the last three morning choices. Arctic Wyrm is just a touch harder to lather. I only think I could have noticed this after almost a year of nothing but Dapper Dragon each morning.

I have added a puck of Haslinger to my Christmas wish list, I guess listening to many of you all year has made me curious.

#18 still in. Started the year with a kilo of Cella and still have more than half of that block after using it every single day. Cella is great stuff...just love it, but I'm glad this year is almost over

I am inadvertently making 2016 the year of DR Harris Marlborough. With about 20 grams left and I appear to be burning through it at about 0.25g per shave so having it last thought the end of December is no problem. I am projecting getting a total of 450-460 shaves from the puck. I am enjoying the shaves but I would kind of like to move on to 3017 something else I have waiting in the drawer.

Ruckin.

Still going strong with MW, now on Bay Rum, the best scent in shaving.

Going to put it aside to see if I can finish off Marrakesh.

Still going strong with CRSW, and no hardship at all. I will admit that I gazed longingly this week at a new Schafmilch that is lurking at the back of my stash in the closet. I think that'll be my first 2017 shave.

Dapper Dragon here, still going, about 4 of my tubs are close to empty at this point. It has definitely helped me focus on technique, since lather was very consistent.

Once the Black Dragon Soap is gone (probably sometime in January) the tub will be washed and my first Haslinger puck (Schafmilch) will be used...

So my final 1Y1B shave was Dapper Dragon Black Dragon. After this year I can see the bottom of Black Dragon, Green Dragon, Arctic Wyrm, Signature and almost Autumn Morning. I will lather up my first puck of Haslinger tomorrow. I will give a report after using it a week or so. I found a different container for my Haslinger so I can start earlier than anticipated.

My chosen brand was DR Harris. I picked it because I started a puck of Marlborough on Dec 2, 2015 and wanted to 3017 the puck. Well, I did miss one day of shaving when the power was out and I didn't have water (I am on a well). I am a bit surprised that after 395 shaves I still have 15 grams of the stuff left! At about a quarter gram a shave I am hoping to finally kill off this puck sometime in the first two months of 2017. Looking back I find it funny I was worried if I could go a whole year with this puck and a puck of Arlington...

I think the next thing I will 3017 will be some of the creams that I have in inventory so I can use them up prior to turning my attention to the seemingly infinite back log of soaps.

2017 will not be one year one brand for me... at least I hope not! :blink:

Ruckin.

Mystic Water was almost my sole companion for the year.
A few exceptions - some TOBS Aloe cream, a couple of shaves with Nivea cream, a handful of quick shaves with Kiehl's brushless for emergencies.

I got through Adirondack Jack, Barbershop, Eucalyptus Spearmint, the latter by far the best. Half a puck of Marrakesh, a third of THE Bay Rum, some Tea Tree Blue Gum, some Cedarwood Juniper and some samples of the new formula. The highlight of the year may have been the grapefruity Pompelmo I Fiori sample.

Lathers have been superb and easy. I discovered a few tricks like how to lather from hot water, how to lather from a really wet brush and that if you really want foolproof lathers, use a synthetic brush.

I still love the post shave face feel, the glide, the scents, and if there were no other soaps out there, I could very happily be wedded to the brand. But it is time to move on.

2017 is for creams. MW Bay Rum and Tea Tree Blue Gum will be used once in a while to keep a known standard for comparison.
Creams are going to have to be at top of their game to match up.

Enjoyed this thread a great deal. Nice ride guys!

Top Bottom