What's new

One Year, One Brand for 2016

I have three different tubs of Dapper Dragon where I can see the bottom. It is only a matter of time...

This morning was another frozen, cold water shave with Dapper Dragon Arctic Wyrm. I followed the shave with Cryogen AS and enjoyed the cool feeling while walking to my truck this morning.

brucered

System Generated
My soap box is getting smaller and smaller. I'm not left with many options to kick of 2017.

I Coloniali was one I was interested in, but not now that it's discontinued. T&S is local but too expensive and I don't care for their communication. Sudsy Soapery is one I wouldn't mind trying but I have a feeling they'll follow all other artisans and reformulate soon. Everything is else has me feeling meh.

It's looking like a hunk of RR CiT will be my choice for 3017 victim after my Year of Haslinger.

proxy.php

My soap box is getting smaller and smaller. I'm not left with many options to kick of 2017.

I Coloniali was one I was interested in, but not now that it's discontinued. T&S is local but too expensive and I don't care for their communication. Sudsy Soapery is one I wouldn't mind trying but I have a feeling they'll follow all other artisans and reformulate soon. Everything is else has me feeling meh.

It's looking like a hunk of RR CiT will be my choice for 3017 victim after my Year of Haslinger.
Have you tried First Canadian Soap Co for a local option?

[MENTION=36370]brucered[/MENTION]. Besides trying Fines, I had another thought for a soap for you in 2017 (I like spending your money). Do you like shave sticks? The little blue Wilkinson Sword shave stick is a fantastic performer. It seems to fly under the radar here and if you haven't tried one yet I highly recommend it. Nice scent and it provides excellent lather.

brucered

System Generated
[MENTION=81645]snowman[/MENTION]

Fine is definitely on my list of soaps I want to try and I've heard good things about that Wilkinson stick. I'm not a fan of small sticks (the size of IM are OK) but don't mind smashing them info puck form.

Good suggestions!

T&S is actually based in town.

I meant local as in I can drive to pick it up, talk to the maker, support my city...First Canadian aren't exactly local for me.
Ah, I didn't realize you meant driving distance. Pretty neat to have an artisan close enough to do that.

Edit: Do I see a breakthrough on your coco-honey?

brucered

System Generated
Ah, I didn't realize you meant driving distance. Pretty neat to have an artisan close enough to do that.

Edit: Do I see a breakthrough on your coco-honey?
No worries. Yeah, T&S is very local for me.

As for the CocoHoney, the hole is getting bigger and bigger. It's days are numbered. Between days off and weekends, it will last the rest of this month, maybe a bit more.

The Pompelmo i Fiori is no more and I can attest that new formula MW is just as good if not better than old formula MW.
PiF is going to be bought again

On to MW Irish Traveler sample next

MW Irish Traveler is wonderful. How did that take me so long?

In other news, gearing up for my year of creams. Picked up Derby Lemon and Arko Extra Fresh today in Pickwick Pharmacy.

brucered

System Generated
Still learning things about my shave with Haslinger.

After months and months of using a fairly wet brush, I've started using my old technique. Soak brush and give a good squeeze at the base to get almost all water out. Swirl, swirl and slowly add water. I used to do this with almost all my soaps but got away from it. The end result is a thicker, creamier lather that doesn't froth up at all during loading.

I've also switched from Tech to Feather AS-D1 and back to my FatBoy. I'm still doing 2 passes, but alter it a few places. WTG, ATG on neck and cheeks. WTG, WTG under my nose and chin. I've also dialed it back to a setting of 4 on both passes. This gives me a close, trouble free shave.

Amazing shaves all year but tweaking them to be even better.

Last edited:

brucered

System Generated
You know, Bruce, if you lather up that way.....Mstic a Water can be good again :laugh:

I may try again in 2016. The issue now is, even if I did end up liking it, shipping is a killer. I've sent a message to Michelle to see what shipping is on 1, 6 and 12 pucks. Just in case I decided to give it another whirl.

brucered

System Generated
This isn't restraint. If you wander off once because you want to try something new or need a baseline shave, no worries. Just don't do it 25% of the year. :biggrin1:

Can you do an official check-in to see who's left? Yourself included, you've been absent from this thread almost the entire year. :thumbdown

If you didn't want to run it, you could have let someone else take the reins.

Can you do an official check-in to see who's left? Yourself included, you've been absent from this thread almost the entire year. :thumbdown

If you didn't want to run it, you could have let someone else take the reins.

I've been here and checking the thread more or less every day; I just haven't had much to say. Things have become so automatic with my shaving that I've sort of forgotten about any reasonable updates besides, "Yep - still in." :thumbup:

I'll start the check-ins this month.

Still in.
Finished off the samples of MW new formula, now back to the old.
Still have Marrakesh, Eucalyptus Spearmint, Tea Tree and Blue Gum, and Bay Rum open, with two unopened pucks (Windjammer which will need to be PIFed, and Bergamot Cedarwood Juniper)
3 months to go? Easy peasy.

I think I'll hit the Spearmint off before it gets too cold to use the stuff.

Still in... but for me 2016 is looking like the year of one puck... My DRH Marlborough has 306 shaves on it so far and it is looking like it will easily go for more than 400.

Ruckin

Still in, working through a puck of Haslinger Sandalwood at the moment. So far this year I've gone through;

2 pucks of Schafmilch
2 pucks of Aloe
1 Puck of Honig
...and a couple weeks into a puck of Sandalwood.

Top Bottom