What's new

On the Hunt for Scritch?

I would probably say go with 50mm because pure badger hairs most of the time are trimmed to give them shape making them scritchy so you need that little bit of flop to them to make up for this. Also I think any lower than 50mm might be bordering on just scratchy and unpleasant.

While studying I read in more than one place shavemac doesn't clip the tips to shape the brush evidently the Pure as well. I simply don't know.

Agree in principle with the suggestion of a horse hair brush, but before spending any money on a Vie-Long (the leading manufacturer) horse hair brush, it would be advisable to research "Vie-Long horse hair shaving brush" and "shedding".

You will find that Vie-Long horse hair brushes are notorious for shedding, even though some users seem to be quite happy with theirs.

Be that as it may, of my 2 dozen or more (Vulfix, Shavemac, Mühle, Omega, Semogue, etc.) brushes - that are all used in the same manner - none sheds even closely as much as the Vie-Long horse hair brushes.
Unfortunately, that spoils the pleasure of a horse hair shaving brush and neither do I believe that I should pamper a horse hair shaving brush more than any other shaving brush I own, nor do I find a brush that constantly sheds hair acceptable.

B.

Thanks for that Brutus.

The idea of a horse hair brush is intriguing as I grew up with horses. Being cursed with a handy gene I'll probably clip some tails and manes when I go home to visit Mom and try to make one just because. Now that will have some funk...

Agree in principle with the suggestion of a horse hair brush, but before spending any money on a Vie-Long (the leading manufacturer) horse hair brush, it would be advisable to research "Vie-Long horse hair shaving brush" and "shedding".

You will find that Vie-Long horse hair brushes are notorious for shedding, even though some users seem to be quite happy with theirs.

Be that as it may, of my 2 dozen or more (Vulfix, Shavemac, Mühle, Omega, Semogue, etc.) brushes - that are all used in the same manner - none sheds even closely as much as the Vie-Long horse hair brushes.
Unfortunately, that spoils the pleasure of a horse hair shaving brush and neither do I believe that I should pamper a horse hair shaving brush more than any other shaving brush I own, nor do I find a brush that constantly sheds hair acceptable.

B.
My Vie Long 04312 hasn't shed at all...guess I got lucky.

Here's the shavemac Pure 23/50 after a handful of shaves. This hair does break in and is already softer than the Semogue 750 in Best Badger due, I think, to the quality of the hair and the lack of cut tips. Even my daughter says it's softer now than when it first arrived.

No glue bump in a high quality handmade brush is new to me and I'll need to compensate for that going forward. I'd like a little more scrub and scritch than the Semogue 750 so a shorter loft might have been a smarter choice for my objectives.

Regardless this is most definitely a fine quality brush and far beyond what I've read of Pure Badger on my hunt for scrtich.

proxy.php

Wish I would have chimed in. I had a 24x48 Finest fan (well two of them) and neither of them had much backbone. Hair was soft though as a blend of silvertip and pure badger, but untrimmed.

I would say a Simpson brush in Best would be a good scritchy brush with backbone. Something like a Duke 2 would be a good starting point.

Otherwise, if you can find a Semogue mixed badger/boar brush, that is quite scritchy with strong backbone.

If you like scritch I can suggest the Parker King Size Pure Badger Brush. What does it for me is not so much the scritch but its large size and reasonable price. I like it. Some here don't like it. It is very much a YMMV thing. I've had it for almost a year and it has earned and retained a spot in my 12 brush rotation. And my rotation definitely favors some brushes over others and this one is favored. But others will differ. Bottom line, you can't beat the price at $35.

proxy.php

Wish I would have chimed in. I had a 24x48 Finest fan (well two of them) and neither of them had much backbone. Hair was soft though as a blend of silvertip and pure badger, but untrimmed.

I would say a Simpson brush in Best would be a good scritchy brush with backbone. Something like a Duke 2 would be a good starting point.

Otherwise, if you can find a Semogue mixed badger/boar brush, that is quite scritchy with strong backbone.

No worries, your timing is still useful... Just took delivery of a Simpson TSN LE in Best. A bit larger than I care to use for face lathering, but the experience at that price point will certainly teaching me something...

If you like scritch I can suggest the Parker King Size Pure Badger Brush. What does it for me is not so much the scritch but its large size and reasonable price. I like it. Some here don't like it. It is very much a YMMV thing. I've had it for almost a year and it has earned and retained a spot in my 12 brush rotation. And my rotation definitely favors some brushes over others and this one is favored. But others will differ. Bottom line, you can't beat the price at $35.

Was contemplating a Simpson Eagle in pure, but will study up on Parker Pure now. How can I knot :)

You can get a Simpson Special in pure badger delivered for under $28. It's nice to have a Simpson in your stable and the handle is very nice for the price. It's got some scritch, and if you find scritch is not your thing you're not out a car payment.

Top Bottom