What's new

Not sure I would want to use these...

Spied these at the antique store today. Marketing has come a long way in the past few decades. A name like this doesn't instill a ton of confidence or make me want to try them all that much. That said, a very cool old display.

IMG_1659.JPG

I can see it - they were implying that they were 'mysteriously' sharp, rather than 'the kind of shave you get will be a mystery until you try it'.
With the blacksmith in a turban (Indian?), they're probably not US made.

Love it! :w00t:

I would say there was something lost in translation there. Definitely worth more as a display piece than actually using them.

I tried a 1950's Star razor blade & it shaved decent for one shave. You can shoot me a couple & I will try em out & report back. Just give me a PM.

IMG_1665.JPG

Well, I was back at the antique store today and the "Mystery" display made its way home with me and now resides in my den. Every box and every blade intact. Excellent condition with just a couple small tears and son scuffing. Looks pretty good for going on 80 y.o. Was able to pick it up for about half of the lowest prices I've seen on auction sites and those are often in a lot worse shape and missing packs. There is an inventory stamp on the back. It appears to have been part of the merchandise at a general goods store in Minot, ND at one time. Given that every single blade is there, I think I'm going to keep this complete and not even test a blade.

I regularly use vintage carbon blades, but they have to pass a rigorous inspection of many points and only what were considered top of the line at the time. I get unique and wonderful shaves out of them.........mostly.

Top Bottom