What's new

Newbies: How long do you use your blade?

So...why we are on the topic of blades...Did you all know there was a place here on Badger & Blade where you can try the blades that you have always wanted, but can't seem to find or just haven't had a chance to buy. There is...at The_Great_Blade_Exchange. The Great Blade Exchange is a place where you can receive your choice of blades for the cost of postage and a trade in of some blades you might have in your den. Check it out! There are modern blades, vintage blades, single edge, and maybe even a shavette or two. Anyway...I just thought you all should check it out!

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/The_Great_Blade_Exchange?p=6840782

Last edited:
Been wet shaving for about a month now.

I am still experimenting with different blades but I'm around 3-4 shaves, sometimes earlier if I feel tugging or what not.

Have tried about 6 different blades but have settled with Vikings Sword and Voskhod, rotating every week.

Last edited:
Been DE shaving for 4 months or so. Whenever I use a blade that's new to me I'll use it right up to its limit, until its tugging & scraping basically... Average values are as follows:

Muhle = 3 shaves
Derby Extra = 3 shaves
Merkur = 7 shaves
Timor = 7 shaves
Croma = 6 shaves
Astra SP = 3 shaves
Feather Hi-Stainless = 1 1/2 shaves

I've recently discovered palm stropping but have only used it on Astra SP blades, after stropping between shaves they now last 5-6 shaves.

So...why we are on the topic of blades...Did you all know there was a place here on Badger & Blade where you can try the blades that you have always wanted, but can't seem to find or just haven't had a chance to buy. There is...at The_Great_Blade_Exchange. The Great Blade Exchange is a place where you can receive your choice of blades for the cost of postage and a trade in of some blades you might have in your den. Check it out! There are modern blades, vintage blades, single edge, and maybe even a shavette or two. Anyway...I just thought you all should check it out!

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/The_Great_Blade_Exchange?p=6840782

Awesome info, there is still so much here I have yet to find. Thanx Don you are an excellent steward. :thumbup1:

So when I started out down this road of saving money :lol:, I had bought a kit from The Art of Shaving. I got a 33C, a brush, cream, and oil in the kit. I ordered 100 ct of Astra SP blades and just started shaving. I typically got to about 3 shaves before I tossed them. Then I got wiser after I joined this site. I ordered a 34C and got an assorted pack of blades. Having shaved for a few months with the Astra SP blades I kind of had a baseline. If things weren't going well after 2 shaves I tossed them. I would use at least 2-3 blades from each brand before moving on to the next. I also learned something new...the blades acted differently in my 34C than in my 33C. Then I decided to get a 37C and try the slant world. Completely different experience and fantastic at the same time. However, again I had to try different blades because they acted differently.

So far this is what I have found for myself (I haven't gotten through all the blades by the way).

34C - Bic Chrome or Astra SP
33C - Astra SP, Bic Chrome, or Merkur
37C - Merkur or Astra SP

Gillette 7 O' Clock blades aren't for me so far.

Now having said that, I haven't gotten to the Persona blades or the Feather blades yet. I still have quite a bit to go so this can all change again.

Newbies: How long do you use your blade?
That question is plain and simple to answer: until I feel that it is no longer sharp. No, not blunt, just no longer sharp. :001_smile

So I do not use each blade until it starts tearing the skin off my face. An average Astra Superior Platinum blade usually lasts 5 to 6 good shaves, a Feather blade anything between 8 and 10 excellent shaves. Whereas the ASP are more bang for the buck for the economically minded wet shaver, I still favour the much more expensive Feather because of the effortless smoothness of the shaves they provide.

I'm reasonably new (around 2 months now).. I use mine until they start to tug. At the first sign of tugging I feel like I should ditch them (although on a couple I had one extra shave and regretted it).. only 2 small weepers so far (One off the feather when it started to go blunt and one off the Merkur blade). So far;
Astra SP - 5 shaves, could feel it was going dull on the fourth but didn't get irritation off the 5th
Feather 3 close, smooth shaves; started tugging on the 4th; tried for a 5th which left my face irritated like I was dry shaving with a cheap disposable
Merkur- 1 horrid tugging shave and a half before I ditched it
Asco orange- weirdly tugged a little bit on the first shave but am now up to 5 passable shaves with (2 in my EJ de89 and 3 in my Merkur) and will see if it goes another one.

Asco orange- weirdly tugged a little bit on the first shave but am now up to 5 passable shaves with (2 in my EJ de89 and 3 in my Merkur) and will see if it goes another one.
I recently discovered this same effect with Super-Max Platinum blades. Shave 2 was much nicer than shave 1.

Hello Gents ,
Started out with feather Blades and still using them today ( Aprox. for 3 years since I started whet shaving ) but what I noticed the number of shaves is going down ! I used to get 6 or 7 shaves with one blade but now its down to only 4 .
Is this due to tougher hairs or shaving technique ?

Please help for being Dutch I dont want to overspend on blades ( LOL ) :euro:

Cheers
Jasper

Don't know why nobody answered you Jasper. I wondered the same question this morning on my
Feathers. It was my 3rd shave with this blade (if you consider a 3 pass shave ONE SHAVE. . . or is a 3 pass shave considered 3 shaves? I don't know) And didn't get the close shave so may toss it. I'd think it's shaving technique or perhaps they're making blades cheaper nowadays.
Long live Van Gogh!

Don't know why nobody answered you Jasper. I wondered the same question this morning on my
Feathers. It was my 3rd shave with this blade (if you consider a 3 pass shave ONE SHAVE. . . or is a 3 pass shave considered 3 shaves? I don't know) And didn't get the close shave so may toss it. I'd think it's shaving technique or perhaps they're making blades cheaper nowadays.
Long live Van Gogh!
Dear Sir ,
I'm sorry for the late reply but thanks for answering .
Nowadays I get a +/- 4 shaves with one blade ( thats mostely a 3 pass shave ) before I have to toss the blade .
Don't think its shaving technique asked my Barbour and he thinks its due to my skin and or facial hair getting used to the proces of wet shaving .
Please let me know your opininion on this .

Yours sincerely ,

Jasper Smits.

That's about the most I get too on them. I thought something was wrong. They start tugging and more chance of nicks and skin burn. I may go to the Japanese Feather Cartridge.

That's about the most I get too on them. I thought something was wrong. They start tugging and more chance of nicks and skin burn. I may go to the Japanese Feather Cartridge.
BTW I sufferd a few months from skinburn using Feather blades what I learned is that sometimes a year (one ore twice ) your skin cannot handle supersharp blades like Feather /Shark etc in such a case step back to a more intermediate blade like Personna / Astra , that did the trick for me .

I've been shaving since March. Right now I'm doing 5 3-pass shaves from each blade, the same brand twice in a row (so 10 shaves per brand), as I evaluate blades. I generally like the first shave with a blade least. I've never felt I was "pushing it" going 5 shaves, and if I weren't trying to work my way through a sampler pack I would be doing more shaves with each blade.

Will keep it in mind; I DO have some Astras tucked away. But look forward to trying out
that Feather MR3 Neo...supposed to be fine Japanese steel. Comes from Japan, so shipment is
a bit slow. You ever seen a real Van Gogh painting Jasper? I think he used Feather blades.
:thumbup: I play online chess and often someone from the Netherlands...they have a lot of good players.

I bet you have a katana at home cH3x.

Will keep it in mind; I DO have some Astras tucked away. But look forward to trying out
that Feather MR3 Neo...supposed to be fine Japanese steel. Comes from Japan, so shipment is
a bit slow. You ever seen a real Van Gogh painting Jasper? I think he used Feather blades.
:thumbup: I play online chess and often someone from the Netherlands...they have a lot of good players.

I bet you have a katana at home cH3x.
No Katana but for me , look what it did with Van Gogh :shaving:
BTW I do play Chess but not online ( just beginner ):a24:

New enough, and flopping around between blades and razors enough that haven't formed a good opinion yet.

Could tell the Merkur went fast and tugged, and that it appears while I really like the Feathers, they won't too long for me either. And that's about it?

Top Bottom