What's new

New Straight Razor

Hello,

I have been reading this forum off and on for sometime. Great stuff here.

A new Razor arrived in my mail today and I wanted to get some opions on the edge bevel. It seems unevenly ground to me. The Razor was "shave ready" in that I was able to shave with it... but there was a little tugging.

The images are of the razor straight out of packaging(before it was wiped down).

Would this bevel bug anyone else, or is it just me? ;)

Razor1.jpg
Razor2.jpg

-Lorne

is that a Hart?

yeah, I'd be less than pleased if that was a new build razor, I was the first owner, and send it back. I wouldn't tell them I'd shaved with it.

a vintage or used.... it would depend on the price, but I'd have wanted to see the bevels before I bought it.

is that a Hart?

yeah, I'd be less than pleased if that was a new build razor, I was the first owner, and send it back. I wouldn't tell them I'd shaved with it.

a vintage or used.... it would depend on the price, but I'd have wanted to see the bevels before I bought it.

I'm with him. Of the 5 Gold Dollars I have, none of them look like that

Thanks guys. I was pretty shocked when I unwrapped it. It was like someone in high school metal shop went at it with grinder before it was honed. ;)

I'll will give the seller a chance to make it right.

Yeah, seemed pretty unacceptable to me as well.. But, I wanted other opinions before I got too bent out of shape.

Legion

Staff member
It's a bit rough, but if it shaves well then the way the bevel looks is just cosmetic. YMMV.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Unless you paid a lot of money for it, you may go through a few razors before you find one that's better. It's definitely not a great looking blade and looks like a lot of hone wear already. If the edge meets all the way down the blade from heel to toe, you can probably make it shave well.

I had a new TI once which had a bevel very much like that. Shaved alright but I just could not stand looking at it. Didn't keep it long and have been apprehensive of TI razors ever since

I'm no where near a master of honing. But, it gives me pause when I see the bevel like that. It does not give me the impression that the blade was made with care or precision. So, I wonder what other issues this will this cause down the road.. etc. I don't really know. Is it just cosmetic?

The razors is new. But a nice box with a pretty full color insert does not mean much to me if the most important part of the razors was not handled with care.

I'm no where near a master of honing. But, it gives me pause when I see the bevel like that. It does not give me the impression that the blade was made with care or precision. So, I wonder what other issues this will this cause down the road.. etc. I don't really know. Is it just cosmetic?

The razors is new. But a nice box with a pretty full color insert does not mean much to me if the most important part of the razors was not handled with care.

If that razor is new I would be sending it back.

Does the other side have large bevels at the toe and heel?
The "Large" bevels are toward the heel on one side and toward the toe on the other side. But the heel and toes of both sides seem free of the larger bevel. I think what I am saying is visible on the images I attached. I can send more images if needed.

If that razor is new I would be sending it back.
Yeah, I have sent email asking for replacement.. I might just ask for my money back. I guess it depends on if I want to give them another chance. I can quite figure out how the person that crafted the razor felt it was a quality job, or how it was ever released to be shipped out.

No quality control I guess.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The "Large" bevels are toward the heel on one side and toward the toe on the other side. But the heel and toes of both sides seem free of the larger bevel. I think what I am saying is visible on the images I attached. I can send more images if needed.

Normally big bevel on middle of one side and at toe and heel on other point to a warped blade. In the long run warped blades can be trouble and can be more than just a cosmetic issue.

Normally big bevel on middle of one side and at toe and heel on other point to a warped blade. In the long run warped blades can be trouble and can be more than just a cosmetic issue.

Oh! That makes total sense. Thanks for the insight.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Oh! That makes total sense. Thanks for the insight.

All of us who buy vintages deal with them all the time, but on a brand new razor? Not so much. I would be interested to hear how this turns out.

Update:

As KW Driver guessed the Razor is a new Hart Steel 6/8 razor. From what I have been able to tell Hart Steel is owned by classicshaving.com (ordered the razor from them), and classicshaving.com was bought be the grooming network.

I went to the Hart steel website and got there contact info, the email address listed there was [email protected]. I sent email to that address on Sunday with the same images I attached to the tread, and told them I was unsatisfied with the bevel, and that it looked like something I had seen on cheaper cutlery. On Monday I got this reply back:

“Sir,

We quality inspect every blade. In which every razor goes through a series of tests.

The blade edge is sharp and even, the bevel is out of our control.

Customer Service

The Grooming Network

I replied back the same day:

“Hello,

Thanks for the reply. [email protected] is listed on the Hart Steel web page as their customers service contact. Don't they manufacture the razors? Seems they would be in control of the bevel. Is there someone else I should contact?

Don't you have a suggestion as to how this issue can be corrected? Can I have the razor replaced with one with a more evenly ground bevel ?”

I went back to the Hart steel web page and under repairs I found this email address [email protected]. I sent them the same two images, on Monday as well, explained my dissatisfaction and requested help from them as well.

It been over 48 hours and I have neither received a reply back from classicshaving or a response from the Hart Steel email address.

Maybe I’ll post my impressions and conclusions in another post. ;)

Top Bottom