What's new

Naniwa Economical Stones

I haven't tried one but I hear they are good stones. They are waterstones (require a soaking period before use) where as the superstones and specialty stones are ceramic and are spray go type stones.

They look pretty interesting. Alternatives to nortons 4k that aren't crap or far more expensive are few and far between. If the 3k is better than a Masahiro, then I could definitely see them having their uses. The 1/3k combo stone and a SS5k/SP6k would be a nice cheap setup that could give you a full synthetic path to lead up to a finisher of your choice for even a bit less than the Norton set.

Last edited:
They all work, There are considerations if your planing on honing all day or time is of the essence. Ive used the super stones, but no first hand on this.

i only know the 1k of this series and it is crap compared to SS or Chosera/Pro Stones.... For Razors maybe a cheap bevel setter, but nothing more, i think King stones are better.

Greets Sebastian.

For dirt cheap, even though it is an anemic size I think I would rather have the suehiro 1/3 for a combo...king 1k is almost free and full size

Have never used these but they look pretty narrow at just over 2" so if you new to honing you will have to do an X stroke, not a big deal to do it but starting out you should keep it as simple as possible, I started on Naniwa's (not these) and found they clogged fairly easily, you will also need a lapping plate to keep them flat but if on a budget I would try them.

For dirt cheap, even though it is an anemic size I think I would rather have the suehiro 1/3 for a combo...king 1k is almost free and full size

There is a bigger Suehiro 1k/3k out there and it's great in my opinion. Around 2-5/8" x 7-1/2".

I haven't used the Naniwa economy line.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Do yourself a favor and get a chosera, or at least a SS for be el setting. If you need to economize, get a piece of heavy glass that you can stick sandpaper to. Works great, if you apply the paper perfectly flat and smooth. Use only a whiff of 3M or Loctite spray adhesive on a very clean surface.

I have never tried the naniwa economy stones but just the replies in this thread would discourage me.

I have used a King but I don't like how soft it is. Got to lap often, but it does do the job I must admit.

Top Bottom