What's new

My first straight razor ever

Actually I could do that. I just honed up and shaved with a dirt cheap Gold Dollar razor, and it ended up quite all right. I'll try it for a couple more shaves and if it holds up, you can have it for $20 shipped to Denmark, that's my cost for it excluding honing. And it will come shave ready for sure!
I'm interested, maybe we could write at PM ?

Actually I could do that. I just honed up and shaved with a dirt cheap Gold Dollar razor, and it ended up quite all right. I'll try it for a couple more shaves and if it holds up, you can have it for $20 shipped to Denmark, that's my cost for it excluding honing. And it will come shave ready for sure!
Let's do it. What about all the practical ?

Honing or shaving with a straight is not rocket science, but neither is it as simple as you seem to think it is. But, it's your face, and your money. Just remember, we told you so.
And again, we are so many, we are good at SO many things and some of us just can't get enough of "being good at ...", so get some cold water in Your holy blood, little You and maybe one day we meet and talk about what we have to do next day ?

what kind (quality) of strap do I have to have to maintain my razor for as long as possible without hone it again ?

Very cool! You learned quickly, didbn't you? For what it's worth, the place I took my first straight razor to for honing was a knife sharpener. He did alright - and I still use that razor. I have a couple of razors that were honed other places that are better for shaving but that one was definitely good enough.

You have a strop? Other than your mechanical one? Or are you going to use the mechanical strop? Either way it is advisable to check out the ShaveWiki for further information and probably watch a few Youtube videos on the subject. These may help, but NOTHING beats personal experience.

I think you made a good choice with a "Dovo Best Quality" razor. I have a couple of Dovos that are my backup blades if a new razor doesn't "cut it".

Best wishes for you!

Very cool! You learned quickly, didbn't you? For what it's worth, the place I took my first straight razor to for honing was a knife sharpener. He did alright - and I still use that razor. I have a couple of razors that were honed other places that are better for shaving but that one was definitely good enough.

You have a strop? Other than your mechanical one? Or are you going to use the mechanical strop? Either way it is advisable to check out the ShaveWiki for further information and probably watch a few Youtube videos on the subject. These may help, but NOTHING beats personal experience.

I think you made a good choice with a "Dovo Best Quality" razor. I have a couple of Dovos that are my backup blades if a new razor doesn't "cut it".

Best wishes for you!
Try to "refresh" them GG

Top Bottom