What's new

Muhle R41,The combined thread

What are you doing with the R41?

• I used it, I didnt like it, Im getting rid of it

• I used it, I liked it, Im keeping it

• I used it, it cut me and/or irritated me, but the jury is still out

Results are only viewable after voting.
OK. RAD is kicking in right now. I am trying to resist. I am failing. Here's my experience with razors:

38c My current go to razor. Gives me a 1-2 pass BBS shave on the cheeks. A two + pass BBS everywhere else (plus touch ups).

Gillette NEW short comb: Love the feel of this razor. Gives me a close shave (like the 38c) but with more comfort and a certain "je ne sais quoi."

EJ89 Again, same kind of shave as the 38c ...a bit smoother, with a few more touch ups.

The Slant: Didn't work on my face despite a good long effort on my part. Shave was uneven and failed to give me as close a shave as the others...plus it irritated my skin.

Merkur 11c open comb barberpole: Nice razor, but much milder than I had expected. Super comfortable on my skin...it just doesn't shave as closely as I had hoped. I have to do 3 passes with this one, and even then I have problems getting BBS on my chin area. Going to try this with a Feather and some others to see what it does.

40s Superspeed. Comfy, just not aggressive enough.

Soooo, what do you think? Would the R41 be a contender given my experiences with these other razors? I am sorely tempted to give it a whirl in the never ending quest for the more perfect shave.

Gem G Bar: Love the feel and sound of this razor as it shaves. Gives me as close a shave as the others, just not as comfortable a shave on the neck and chin area.

OK. RAD is kicking in right now. I am trying to resist. I am failing. Here's my experience with razors:

38c My current go to razor. Gives me a 1-2 pass BBS shave on the cheeks. A two + pass BBS everywhere else (plus touch ups).

Gillette NEW short comb: Love the feel of this razor. Gives me a close shave (like the 38c) but with more comfort and a certain "je ne sais quoi."

EJ89 Again, same kind of shave as the 38c ...a bit smoother, with a few more touch ups.

The Slant: Didn't work on my face despite a good long effort on my part. Shave was uneven and failed to give me as close a shave as the others...plus it irritated my skin.

Merkur 11c open comb barberpole: Nice razor, but much milder than I had expected. Super comfortable on my skin...it just doesn't shave as closely as I had hoped. I have to do 3 passes with this one, and even then I have problems getting BBS on my chin area. Going to try this with a Feather and some others to see what it does.

Soooo, what do you think? Would the R41 be a contender given my experiences with these other razors? I am sorely tempted to give it a whirl in the never ending quest for the more perfect shave.

Gem G Bar: Love the feel and sound of this razor as it shaves. Gives me as close a shave as the others, just not as comfortable a shave on the neck and chin area.

I too would not be able to overcome the RAD with all of the current R41 chatter. T

he only razor you referenced that I have used is the Slant. If the Slant was a troublesome razor that you never got comfortable with then the R41 could be even more troublesome. As stated on my earlier posts, I love my Slant but it took several shaves before I loved it. With the R41 I've more than doubled the number of shaves it took me love the Slant and it's STILL somewhat misbehaved. I predict that the R41 will need more patience than you possible had with the Slant for you to accept it into your family.

Edited to add that I reread your original post and realized you referenced the 38c which I think has the same head as the 23c head which was my first DE. The R41 is SUBSTANTIALLY more "aggressive/efficient" than the 23c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine arrived yesterday. I had my first shave with it last night, which isn't ideal because I'd already shaved yesterday morning. But I was having a shower after a football game anyway, so I always shave Thursday nights. Anyway...

I got two cuts on the underside of my nose and a couple more on the neck. Furthermore, I had severe alum burn after shaving. But I love it! It shaves so close, and it tells me that I have a lot to learn. Looking forward to that journey.

Coincidentally, a 1917 Gillette Old Type arrived yesterday. It's similar to the R41 in that it's open comb, but there's nowhere near as much blade exposure. This purchase was inspired by a thread here praising the Old Type to the hilt. Maybe I'll warm up on that for a while before returning to the R41.

I'm on holiday for about 12 days starting tomorrow, though, and only the Merkur HD will be coming with me.
So, due to the fact that you need an adjustment period with the r41 is why our leaving it behind, not because your really giving up on it?
Shaved this AM with R41 using a Personna Hospital Prep blade - This was much better than the Derby and yellow 7 O'Clock. Excellent shave! I am getting more proficient with the R41 as well so in all fairness I should try those blades again. I still want to try this razor with an IP and a Polsilver.
The r41 is all good with the majority of your blades at this point, it seems.
If I recall correctly, the Slant took me 3-5 shaves to get comfortable with and I've already more than doubled that training period with the R41.

Even after this mornings great shave I wouldn't call myself proficient. I went with a Feather on it's 3rd shave and it performed splendidly. It probably could have gone another shave but I'm usually "2 and out" with Feathers so getting 3 was a bonus. I only have 1 Feather left to use in my R41 boot camp training. I did get a minor nick on my neck after clumsily slapping the razor head against my skin but other than than the shave was butter AND the sting/burn from my Clubman splash was milder than any shave in recent memory. This is a shaving irritation litmus test for me.

If I can string together 3 or 4 R41 shaves like this mornings I'll consider myself capable of handling the "widow maker". Then I'll re-visit my old flame Slant and determine if the R41 is truly the superior shaving tool. There is a tribe that expect the virtues of the Slant to triumph and that coupling with the R41 is like an unhealthy dysfunctional, codependent relationship that neither party can bring themselves to end.

Remember I am far from a DE all-star as I only started using them in January 2011. My only experience with DE's includes the Merkur 23c, Gillette '57 Red Tip, Merkur 37c Slant, and the Merkur Open Comb Travel Razor. But my experiences with these razors and many of the frequently recommended blades is fairly consistent with the veterans on this forum.
Cfender, is your "Jerry Springer" (dysfunctional) relationship with the R41 and slant going to survive, will it advance from your basic training and into the army of razors as your Captain or just Sergeant of razors. Even though you don't consider yourself a All-star of shaving, would your limited experience recommend this R41 as a military force to be reckon with?

Ok guys. I received my R41. Going to shave with it in another hour. Will report back. :)

I too would not be able to overcome the RAD with all of the current R41 chatter. T

he only razor you referenced that I have used is the Slant. If the Slant was a troublesome razor that you never got comfortable with then the R41 could be even more troublesome. As stated on my earlier posts, I love my Slant but it took several shaves before I loved it. With the R41 I've more than doubled the number of shaves it took me love the Slant and it's STILL somewhat misbehaved. I predict that the R41 will need more patience than you possible had with the Slant for you to accept it into your family.

Edited to add that I reread your original post and realized you referenced the 38c which I think has the same head as the 23c head which was my first DE. The R41 is SUBSTANTIALLY more "aggressive/efficient" than the 23c.

Mine arrived yesterday. I had my first shave with it last night, which isn't ideal because I'd already shaved yesterday morning. But I was having a shower after a football game anyway, so I always shave Thursday nights. Anyway...

I got two cuts on the underside of my nose and a couple more on the neck. Furthermore, I had severe alum burn after shaving. But I love it! It shaves so close, and it tells me that I have a lot to learn. Looking forward to that journey.

Coincidentally, a 1917 Gillette Old Type arrived yesterday. It's similar to the R41 in that it's open comb, but there's nowhere near as much blade exposure. This purchase was inspired by a thread here praising the Old Type to the hilt. Maybe I'll warm up on that for a while before returning to the R41.

I'm on holiday for about 12 days starting tomorrow, though, and only the Merkur HD will be coming with me.
So, due to the fact that you need an adjustment period with the r41 is why our leaving it behind, not because your really giving up on it?
Shaved this AM with R41 using a Personna Hospital Prep blade - This was much better than the Derby and yellow 7 O'Clock. Excellent shave! I am getting more proficient with the R41 as well so in all fairness I should try those blades again. I still want to try this razor with an IP and a Polsilver.
If I recall correctly, the Slant took me 3-5 shaves to get comfortable with and I've already more than doubled that training period with the R41.

Even after this mornings great shave I wouldn't call myself proficient. I went with a Feather on it's 3rd shave and it performed splendidly. It probably could have gone another shave but I'm usually "2 and out" with Feathers so getting 3 was a bonus. I only have 1 Feather left to use in my R41 boot camp training. I did get a minor nick on my neck after clumsily slapping the razor head against my skin but other than than the shave was butter AND the sting/burn from my Clubman splash was milder than any shave in recent memory. This is a shaving irritation litmus test for me.

If I can string together 3 or 4 R41 shaves like this mornings I'll consider myself capable of handling the "widow maker". Then I'll re-visit my old flame Slant and determine if the R41 is truly the superior shaving tool. There is a tribe that expect the virtues of the Slant to triumph and that coupling with the R41 is like an unhealthy dysfunctional, codependent relationship that neither party can bring themselves to end.

Remember I am far from a DE all-star as I only started using them in January 2011. My only experience with DE's includes the Merkur 23c, Gillette '57 Red Tip, Merkur 37c Slant, and the Merkur Open Comb Travel Razor. But my experiences with these razors and many of the frequently recommended blades is fairly consistent with the veterans on this forum.
Cfender, is your "Jerry Springer" (dysfunctional) relationship with the R41 and slant going to survive, will it advance from your basic training and into the army of razors as your Captain or just Sergeant of razors. Even though you don't consider yourself a All-star of shaving, would your limited experience recommend this R41 as a military force to be reckon with?

Ok guys. I received my R41. Going to shave with it in another hour. Will report back. :)
Please report analyzes when you have time:wink2:

how much time?:001_smile

Alex, this razor is not expensive when ordered from Connaught. Why the weeks of dithering? It's less than $40 shipped. Take the plunge instead of sitting on the fence.

Alex, this razor is not expensive when ordered from Connaught. Why the weeks of dithering? It's less than $40 shipped. Take the plunge instead of sitting on the fence.
I know, believe me all this info is not going to waste. It is being put to good use. A lot of other members get to benefit from your great analyzes and insight too. Thanks.

:001_smile

Well, I have similar likes as you. My 38C and Gillette NEW were my go to razors until I got an iKon long handle (with NEW type head-I wanted a NEW with a long handle) and that became my #1 razor. Just got the R41 about a week ago and so far I love it. It did take a couple of days to get used to but since then I put a new blade in my iKon and promise myself that tomorrow I am going to go back to that razor for reality check, but so far every morining I just can't resist using the R41. :001_smile

It is in the top tier, definitely. It shares space there, among my aggressive razors, with my Futur, Micromatic, Valet and Henckels. I like it better than my Joris, which is also aggressive and my Vision, which is a deli slicer. It shares a lot of characteristics with the Eclipse Red Ring, which is also a great razor, but is tuned to be quite a bit more aggressive.

How does it compare in closeness to a shave from the Henckels (Rapide, I'm assuming) or MIcromatic. I can get a really quick, close shave from both of those razors without having to deal with the 'bite me at any time' aspect that the R41 had. Maybe I prefer thicker blades on my aggressive razors, but I liked the Rapide or MM better than the R41.

I'm am determined to make the R41 to work for me consistently. I believe it is fundamentally a more "efficient" razor than the Slant so if I truly master the R41 it's likely to push the Slant to second place. I wholeheartedly recommend the R41 to experienced DE users but respect that this particular razor will not have the kind of near universal acceptance that a 34c or even a Slant receives.

Ok. Here we go. Just finished with my first shave with 2011 R41. In short it is very very very very aggressive razor and it is meant for experienced DE shavers. So if you do not have experience on your Wet shaving resume DO NOT TRY THIS.

ok now

I used Astra SP blade with this razor and got a BBS (Or I would say it is like a Straight razor shave ) shave in just 2 passes. I did a third pass just to make sure nothing is missed out. But the third pass was with Shark SS blade as Astra was too sharp for my face with R41. I got couple of razor burns. I think i will not use ASTRA SP or for that matter FEATHER in this blade till I master it. I am planning to use Shark SS or similar mild blades for next few shaves with R41 and then will go to sharper blades.

Over all , this is a great razor for shaving. I am going to order one more just in case i loose the current one :). I never felt my face so smooth. So Alex go for it. :). And here is another vendor who has it in stock and for great price

http://www.traditionalshaving.com/products/Muhle-R41.html

Got mine earlier in the week, but never got to use it until this morning.... Very thick 4 day stubble and I'm relatively new to de shaving..... All I can say is amazing! Only did one pass and was very comfortable, love the angle you have to hold it at, the cutting noise etc etc. Yes you need to be careful but for me with thick stubble I'd rather do 1 or 2 passes and not be bbs but have no irritation. This just works for me and I bigot reccomend for the money. I have a tech, 38c and a futur, all of which I will be selling if I continue to get shaves like I did today! Go for it people!!!!

Boy, the razor/blade combination really does make a difference. Couple days ago I used my R41 for the first time with the Derby that came with it. As I reported earlier on this thread, it definitely was not a smooth shave and I had a couple nicks. As I said earlier, I'm going to try to correct that by using a different blade and try to keep the angle smaller. But today I used the same Derby with my EJ89L and got the smoothest, most comfortable shave--a 1-pass DFS. I don't think I could have cut myself if I tried.

Thanks for the feedback. Sadly, I have given in to RAD. Th R-41 will be in my future.

It's not that the Slant was problematic for me because it was too aggressive. The problem I encountered was that it wasn't as aggressive a shaver as my 38c, which mowed down my stubble with ease--- and very evenly. The Slant left patches of stubble on my face, and even the smooth areas grew back faster than after a 38c or EJ 89 shave. Strange, I know, since the Slant produces fear in the hearts of wetshavers everywhere, but I found it peculiarly unsatisfying. I suspect that the R-41 will have no problems dispatching stubble. I just hope it doesn't take a lot of skin with it!

I got a superb shave with the R41 this morning. I find it works best for me approaching it like I use my straights, using multiple light passes rather than trying to do it all in 2.

Top Bottom