What's new

Making Corned Beef

Ruhlman's book is what I've generally gone off for curing. Apparently the addition of sodium ascorbate can speed up the curing process and conversion of sodium nitrate in cases where people want to use cure #2 as an added precaution. However for corned beef I wouldn't think it's necessary

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
+1. Prague powder or Instacure #2
I cannot find Instacure locally, and now I see there is a debate between 1 & 2. Did you use 2 for the one you took picture of (which caused much drool on my part)? I don't want to order the wrong one.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Bob. It seems that this is the only thing holding me back- I cannot find it locally and have to remember to order this. All other stuff is available at a higher end grocer the next city over.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yeah yeah . . . and the pics did make me hungry . . . but gray corned beef is the real Irish tradition. (wonder if I can make that fly?)

I pulled mine out of the brine this morning. The bride was nervous because we're having company tomorrow. Since I did a big piece of brisket, I cut into it to cook a sample piece. She got even more freaked out seeing the grey outside and red inside. After three hours of simmering, it is very tender and a lovely pink through and through.

I used Ruhlman's recipe with red pepper flakes for a bit of kick and a little more clove than I like... but man oh man I'm looking forward to Ruebens and hash! Pics tomorrow.

The rest of the meat is in a 24-hr water soak. I guess I can do an A/B test to see if anyone notices a difference.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The brisket will jump into the water soak early tomorrow morning and will hit the stove top some time around 4:00 tomorrow.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well we had an early dinner here. I decided to oven roast carrots, turnips, parsnips, onion, and garlic with a bit of olive oil and thyme. Colcannon with purple cabbage turned out better than I expected - first time I've tried this. The corned beef was amazing. Without the salt peter it came out brown like a cooked roast but tasted exactly right. Dishes are done and the whole house smells wonderful. I'm sitting on the couch in a near coma. I'll post some pictures later.

Happy St. Patrick's day!

I'm going to have to give corned beef a shot after all of these posts. Oddly enough though I was watching a cooking show yesterday with a St Patrick's day special on and 3 Irish guest chefs, not one of them cooked beef. It was all about showing off local seafood

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well my dog told me I had to take him for a walk so the cold air revived me a bit. Here are some pics.
One of a handful of times I've used all the burners.

A piece of the brisket colcannon and oven roasted veg.

Sliced up nice

One plate . . . . with just my wife and I we could have invited five or so hungry people over.

Top Bottom