What's new

Making Corned Beef

I have always corned my own corned beef, take a gallon of boiling water add 1/2 cup of sea salt and stir. Put on the lid and let sit on the counter until its at room temperature. Place fresh beef in salt water put in fridge for 24 hours, take it out turn the beef over and put it back in the fridge for another 24 hours. Dump the salt water rinse the beef, place in fresh water (no salt) and cook.

There has been lots of hash talk but not many photos- here is breakfast the other day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I am 1400 miles from my Red Wing crock. I'll have to live vicariously through all you pickling away!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The last two I've done were coated in salt,spice,Prague powder then put in a very large zip-lock bag with as much air squeezed out as possible and set in the fridge for a week and flipped daily. Worked as well or better than brine.

Congratulations! You have been voted President of The Mess Hall!

:lol:

But seriously. Reuben sausages. :w00t: I don't have a recipe, but I'm thinking: Take corned beef, grind it up with a little pork fat to achieve a 20% min fat ratio, add swiss cheese and sauerkraut, stuff into ~30mm casings. Place in smoker and hit em with a good dose of smoke. Serve with thousand island.

:lol:

But seriously. Reuben sausages. :w00t: I don't have a recipe, but I'm thinking: Take corned beef, grind it up with a little pork fat to achieve a 20% min fat ratio, add swiss cheese and sauerkraut, stuff into ~30mm casings. Place in smoker and hit em with a good dose of smoke. Serve with thousand island.
I do something like this. Though with wonton wrappers and make Reuben rolls.

Well my first attempt at making corned beef will begin tonight. I plan on cooking it the morning of black Friday for Rubens for the football game that will be topped with a batch of sauerkraut that has been going for awhile now.

Will let you know how it goes.

Top Bottom