What's new

Lambda Athena Cap and Baseplate Pass Around

I’ve grown to really love open comb razors!

I'm actually not surprised by this. I had the same experience with the OC blackbird vs the solid bar. The OC blackbird made me a fan of OC razors in general, even for daily shaving.

I don’t purchase many razors these days due to my satisfaction with the Timeless oc but when I do I usually go with the oc version, if one is available. That goes for vintage razors also. I’ll take a Gillette New sc or lc over a tech any day of the week.

In retrospect, I should have gone with the Ares instead of the Athena. But the appearance of the Athena handle got me. If I could have gotten the Ares head with the Athena handle that’s what I would have done. Lesson learned (I really dislike the Ares handle for some reason).

Ok I'm going to get this sent on to the next person in line, got a few shaves in with a Nacet blade after a few with an Astra SP.
It really is a sweet looking razor (head), I've continued to be impressed by the whole look of it including color, shine, design aesthetics. Shaves have been consistently good, and I do think it does a good job of going against the grain comfortably, which is something that my face usually struggles with. On the shaves I did with a true ATG pass, the results were close enough to where I really didn't need to shave 24 hours later. And on the ones where I didn't do a full ATG, I'm still getting a legit 24hour shave. I probably wouldn't use this as an everyday razor, but it is comfortable enough to use for several days in a row (not sure that I could use it consistently every single day, it might be a little too much for my skin even though it's not like there's a lot of bladefeel).
Thank you again @Wgg2017 for putting this on, it's really very generous of you and I sincerely appreciate the opportunity to be a part of it as the Athena is something I've loved the look of since I first saw it!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Think of the SLOC. The self lubricating open comb razor, that's what the acronym means.

Timeless has particularly well rounded teeth for their OCs, they are bent inward and work like a solid safety bar with massive gaps for hair and lather.

I also like scalloped caps, similar glide/lubrication effect, though by far not as pronounced.

I got the .95 OC after the .5 OC. Both are splendid and give me a much closer and I'm general better shave than the .95 SCL head.

I also have the .78 OC, a different baseplate design, but for my 3 SS baseplates I still have only 1 scalloped cap. 😜

Once I have excessive money to spare, so... probably not soon... I will correct that. ✌️

Think of the SLOC. The self lubricating open comb razor, that's what the acronym means.

Timeless has particularly well rounded teeth for their OCs, they are bent inward and work like a solid safety bar with massive gaps for hair and lather.

I also like scalloped caps, similar glide/lubrication effect, though by far not as pronounced.

I got the .95 OC after the .5 OC. Both are splendid and give me a much closer and I'm general better shave than the .95 SCL head.

I also have the .78 OC, a different baseplate design, but for my 3 SS baseplates I still have only 1 scalloped cap. 😜

Once I have excessive money to spare, so... probably not soon... I will correct that. ✌️
Does the bronze .78 head use the same top cap as the normal SS head?

I’m thinking about picking up a .68OC and a .95 Solid or scalloped scratch & dent and if I like them perhaps I’ll grab the bronze and .5 slim bases.

I’m not much of an OC person but with all the love the Timeless OC gets I think I’m willing to chance it. I’m not sure if the .95 would be better solid or scalloped. I never noticed much difference between my scalloped and straight bars but I’ve never had the same razor head with both to compare.

That .50 slim may be the best option for me since I like slimmer heads and the perfect aggression for me is around a GC .84p but something tells me I’ll enjoy the .95 timeless as well.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Does the bronze .78 head use the same top cap as the normal SS head?
Yes. The baseplate is different, but not the cap. Timeless has very interchangeable parts.

Beware, .5 OC is the most aggressive razor by Timeless. Don't let the small gap fool you. I personally deem the 0.78 OC to be more aggressive than the Slim, though.

The .5 Slim is WAY more aggressive than a game changer .84P. You will be better served with the .95 OC, which is still more aggressive than the GC .84P.

Don't let gaps fool you, all three mentioned razors have very different geometry and should not be compared by the gap metric, that only works for similar razors like within the game changer line.

Yes. The baseplate is different, but not the cap. Timeless has very interchangeable parts.

Beware, .5 OC is the most aggressive razor by Timeless. Don't let the small gap fool you. I personally deem the 0.78 OC to be more aggressive than the Slim, though.

The .5 Slim is WAY more aggressive than a game changer .84P. You will be better served with the .95 OC, which is still more aggressive than the GC .84P.

Don't let gaps fool you, all three mentioned razors have very different geometry and should not be compared by the gap metric, that only works for similar razors like within the game changer line.
Thanks for the heads up. I think I’ll stick with the .68OC and .95 SB then. Might throw in a .38 baseplate since they’re cheap and the SS cap should fit.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It is probably just me, but almost all of my Top Razors are either OC or have some sort of scalloping. Even if it’s just vertical groove on the safety bar. I haven’t tried the Timeless SB, but I liked the scalloped base plate a lot. Enough so I ordered a SS dimpled handle and stand. I’ll be able to play around with full titanium and SS razors now. The scratch and dent handles and stands are only $35 a piece.

The scratch & dent section looks like the best way to go for someone like myself. I don’t care about slight imperfections or wear marks as long as it shaves well.

Anyone have the longer barber pole handle from Timeless? I love my RazoRock BarberPole & RadioKnob handles which are only $15-20 new so I’m not sure I’d ever use the Timeless one. For $35 I may give one a try but the knurling doesn’t look very grippy like my RR handles.

I think I’d really like the Timeless Crown handle if it was ever made in SS but I’m not sacrificing weight since it’s what shaves my face.

Keep in mind that the scratch and dent razors/parts from Timeless can’t be returned whereas new can be within 30 days.

The scratch & dent section looks like the best way to go for someone like myself. I don’t care about slight imperfections or wear marks as long as it shaves well.

Anyone have the longer barber pole handle from Timeless? I love my RazoRock BarberPole & RadioKnob handles which are only $15-20 new so I’m not sure I’d ever use the Timeless one. For $35 I may give one a try but the knurling doesn’t look very grippy like my RR handles.

I think I’d really like the Timeless Crown handle if it was ever made in SS but I’m not sacrificing weight since it’s what shaves my face.

I've purchased some Scratch & Dent items from Timeless and all have been perfect.

Keep in mind that Scratch & Dent also includes razors that were sent back under the Timeless guarantee, so the razor may be used, but still perfect.

One of my favorite handles is the RR Barberpole, which are also among my grippiest handles. While the knurling on my Timeless Barberpole (85mm, same as RR) is not nearly as sharp, it is enough to get a good grip...and the Timeless handle is really, really well done...just beautifully machined.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
TSlimOC242.jpg

That's the 100mm Barberpole. It's heavy but well balanced. It's standing in the shadow of the Ti Crown and it is indeed not as universally fitting to about every razor, but it is still among my top favorites. I rather use the Crown for my Lupo type heads and this one is my choice for .95 OC / .95 SCL / .5 OC Slim.

Yep, still have only one scalloped SS cap for my three baseplates. Donations to my PayPal account are still not necessary, I plan to get another cap and handle after quite a bunch of other razors till 2025. At least that's the plan. 😁

Here's the list:

1. rsp1202
2. ewk
3. shaveSymptomatic
4. jesseix
5. Chickencutlets
6. gpjoe
7. Tathlum
8. Evahs
9. Kix
10. Catchacoolbreeze
11. Pineapple

I just realized that this razor head is really logging some miles! From what I saw of the previous shipping and where I'm shipping it, it's gone from east coast to west coast to east coast to west coast and now back to east coast... @Wgg2017 should be able to get frequent flyer miles for this :cool:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve ordered a few scratch and dent handles and stands and two SS base plates and I couldn’t find any scratches or dents. But it is true, they don’t carry the 30 day return option. I don’t know what qualifies them into the scratch and dent category. Returns??? Weight differences outside the target range? I have no idea.

Most of my Timeless purchases have been new, but occasionally, I have a project that doesn’t require new.

The BarberPole 100mm would be my top pick. I have an old Razorock BP handle that has knurling similar to the Timeless and isn’t as grippy but is still a nice handle. I just like the extra grip on the RazoRocks.

My go to handle anymore is the RadioKnob. I wish they still made them so I could order a couple more. It’s got plenty of grip at the end and I like how it and the BarberPole are wider at the end unlike the SuperKnurl. I like having that tip to grab onto.

I know you can’t return Timeless scratch & dent items but I’d rather save $50-100 since I doubt I will want to return them from all the positive reviews. If I do decide to part with them in the future it makes it easier to recoup my money on the BST.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The BarberPole 100mm would be my top pick. I have an old Razorock BP handle that has knurling similar to the Timeless and isn’t as grippy but is still a nice handle. I just like the extra grip on the RazoRocks.

My go to handle anymore is the RadioKnob. I wish they still made them so I could order a couple more. It’s got plenty of grip at the end and I like how it and the BarberPole are wider at the end unlike the SuperKnurl. I like having that tip to grab onto.

I know you can’t return Timeless scratch & dent items but I’d rather save $50-100 since I doubt I will want to return them from all the positive reviews. If I do decide to part with them in the future it makes it easier to recoup my money on the BST.
I've seen and admired the Timeless SS dimpled handle. It's a bit shorter than my norm @ 85mm... but I think I'll adjust ok. I've been using the much, Much shorter Vintage Gillette handles of late and I have no problems adjusting to them. I'll let you know how I like it when is shows up.... sometime later this week, perhaps. I think it made it to the PO today.

I've seen and admired the Timeless SS dimpled handle. It's a bit shorter than my norm @ 85mm... but I think I'll adjust ok. I've been using the much, Much shorter Vintage Gillette handles of late and I have no problems adjusting to them. I'll let you know how I like it when is shows up.... sometime later this week, perhaps. I think it made it to the PO today.
I have no problem using shorter handles especially if they are heavier but I much prefer the longer ones. I find the 40s era SuperSpeeds to be too tiny but the 50s-60s flare tips aren’t bad especially the red tip.

I’d love to put a RazoRock BarberPole handle on my old red tip and have the knob at the bottom be able to twist it open or closed. Maybe someday if I ever get into machining and get a lathe I’ll try to do something like that.

Top Bottom