What's new

Knots to Knot my Handle?

I have an old wood handle that I have cleaned the bristles out of. The opening measures 21.5mm by 7.6mm deep. Will I need to increase the depth of the hole or is 7.6mm sufficient to install a knot in?
Secondly I'm unsure of the knot I want. I use both creams and soaps some times I face lather sometimes I bowl lather. This leaves me in the area of don't know enough about knots to knot this handle.

proxy.php

No sir 7.5mm will not be enough, really depends on the how much loft you want your brush to have and how tall the knot is in the first place. Buy the knot first before doing anything but you will have to extend the size of that hole. I like the finest knot from Golden nib, I think they do a 20mm.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The TGN Finest is a great choice for both soap and creams, love them. I recommend to drill a bit deeper and use a 20 mm knot. The sizing always refers to the glue plug, and the knot just above is about 2 mm more in diameter. If you just glue in the glue plug, it has quite a loft. When I said drill deeper, I mean drill out maybe some 12-15 mm, you can use cork slices as shims until you find the proper loft. In my opinion the 20 mm knot is great at 48/50 mm loft - I restored a brush today and just used this knot in a fan shape set at 49 mm - perfect!!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Nice lathe, BTW...

Thanks, can't get a better one.
As we say in German: "man goennt sich ja sonst nichts".
Are you coming this year to the Flytying show here in Somerset - your name is listed?? Too bad I can't make it, have both days an arts and craft show.

Top Bottom