What's new

Kanayama Canvas

I wonder if you guys are letting the Kanayama canvas hang a bit looser when stropping on it. I am frustrated trying to get good results with it. I don't think I am hitting the apex of the bevel - I might not be hitting the bevel at all in fact. The stuff is so hard and zippy.

Would anyone give a good description of their technique when using this stuff?

Thanks!

Pull it tight and strop gently. Don't need any pressure. Works for me.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Me too, tight and almost no pressure, just enough to keep the edge next to the canvas.

Cheers, Steve

I have used the Kanayama canvas piece, both new and washed. I don't like the fact it is less wide than the leather. (canvas is 65mm Cordovan is 68mm. New it is stiff and the distributor Aframestokyo suggest a technique to soften the canvas. So, if it is washed it also shrinks in length by an inch, and you have to re glue the leather tab on its bottom, it comes off when washed. To conclude, I don't use the canvas bit that often, I just think it doesn't match the quality of the Kanayama's. I mostly use a separate linen piece 3 inches wide off another strop I have. Then I am happy to use the suede piece which is top class. It also is 68mm wide like the Cordovan piece. So two out of three I guess, ain't bad....

I have just purchased the 80000 kanayama and as expected the leather and suede are lovely. I still think the linen is to stiff a zippy the natural flax linen way better.

I soaked my k linen in fabric condition for 3 days washed it twice and it was better still a tad zippy so I stropped my very worn dmtc up and down the linen . Nowthe surface is softer nicer and just feels like it's not hard surface.

I have used the Kanayama canvas piece, both new and washed. I don't like the fact it is less wide than the leather. (canvas is 65mm Cordovan is 68mm. New it is stiff and the distributor Aframestokyo suggest a technique to soften the canvas. So, if it is washed it also shrinks in length by an inch, and you have to re glue the leather tab on its bottom, it comes off when washed. To conclude, I don't use the canvas bit that often, I just think it doesn't match the quality of the Kanayama's. I mostly use a separate linen piece 3 inches wide off another strop I have. Then I am happy to use the suede piece which is top class. It also is 68mm wide like the Cordovan piece. So two out of three I guess, ain't bad....

I agree agree with you years ago I had the linen with a 50.000 strop I sold it due to the linen degrading my coticule edges. When it's softened it's much better and yeas I have to re glue,the leather to the linen. It's real nice now I,ve softened the surface.

Top Bottom