What's new

Kanayama Canvas

I have a Kanayama 3K with the suede second component. I really like to use the suede after the shave to dry the edge before stropping and storing the razor, but I still prefer linen as a prep surface prior to stropping before the shave. I have been considering picking up the canvas component from Kanayama to try as a prep component.

Does anyone use the Kanayama canvas? Thoughts? I currently use the linen component on my TM prior to stropping and shaving.

Thanks in in advance for your reply.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I use it daily and really like it. It's pretty stiff and really zippy when you first get it, but it will break in slowly with use. I think it works as well as the TM linen, just a totally different feel.

I love the Kanayama canvas. I prefer the feel and density over the more flimsy fabrics used for hanging linen.

Coincidence to stumble upon this thread as I just received the same setup; Thanks to the OP for posting.

First time using this strop today and it was extremely impressionable, canvas aside, which I skipped today for the indigenous suede material.

Thanks to all for posting impressions of the canvas. Many had mentioned it was too rigid a material, but I think I'll give it a go soon.

One thing to keep in mind: If you want to keep the existing second material on the strop, you'll need to get a longer screw to hold the canvas within the hardware.

I picked up seperate hangers for each component. And I modified the swivel snap too. Now I'm happy.

I picked up seperate hangers for each component. And I modified the swivel snap too. Now I'm happy.

My first inclination was to use the swivel and not the hook attached to it. The hook (final connection) worked out OK I suppose, but I'm wondering what exactly you did.

I strop off of a door latch and simply hooked up to the canvas gold ring last night (without the hardware) for the first time. I followed with the suede and cordovan.

That stuff is really rigid, but I did get some good feedback. When I return to NY (in Andover now - COLD) I'll give one of those razors a go.

but I'm wondering what exactly you did.

this

$Kayana 1.jpg

There was a thread at Coticule.be about all the work some guys did to make the K-linen more supple. Bending it double over a table top, washing it several times, sanding lightly were all tried. Then again, a lot of guys thought it was OK from the vender. It definitely feels like a bumpy ride compared to my favorite Scrupleworks linen by Tolrolf Mickleburst. Great guy, great service will make you anything. My go- to strop from him is nappy kangaroo sewn to nappy horsebutt that is unlike anything I have tried and super efficient. His linen is genuine and works perfectly.

I wish I had access to old fire hose, but I think most everything works, even nylon (yuck). Later, Denny

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Hey Joe,

I like mine mine a lot. It will be very stiff when you get it and if you haven't experienced one before, it will make scary sounds the first time you put a razor on it, but it's fine. Throw it in the wash (non-spindle washer) with some towels and a normal dose of fabric softener, then let it air dry. I put mine between two flat surfaces with a thin towel on each side to prevent any curling. That limbered it up a lot and made the rest of the break in easy. Rolling it in a sharp bend works too but takes longer than just washing it.

You can also hit it with a DMT lightly to raise the nap and soften the surface just a little which will then wear away pretty quickly to a normal surface texture

Cheers, Steve

Hey Joe,

I like mine mine a lot. It will be very stiff when you get it and if you haven't experienced one before, it will make scary sounds the first time you put a razor on it, but it's fine. Throw it in the wash (non-spindle washer) with some towels and a normal dose of fabric softener, then let it air dry. I put mine between two flat surfaces with a thin towel on each side to prevent any curling. That limbered it up a lot and made the rest of the break in easy. Rolling it in a sharp bend works too but takes longer than just washing it.

You can also hit it with a DMT lightly to raise the nap and soften the surface just a little which will then wear away pretty quickly to a normal surface texture

Cheers, Steve

Thanks, Steve. I really appreciate the help. My TM linen is fairly rigid, but from other posts I've read, it is nothing compared to the canvas from Kanayama.

There was a thread at Coticule.be about all the work some guys did to make the K-linen more supple. Bending it double over a table top, washing it several times, sanding lightly were all tried. Then again, a lot of guys thought it was OK from the vender. It definitely feels like a bumpy ride compared to my favorite Scrupleworks linen by Tolrolf Mickleburst. Great guy, great service will make you anything. My go- to strop from him is nappy kangaroo sewn to nappy horsebutt that is unlike anything I have tried and super efficient. His linen is genuine and works perfectly.

I wish I had access to old fire hose, but I think most everything works, even nylon (yuck). Later, Denny

I have a piece of Scrupleworks linen as a second component on a TM Latigo strop I bought a couple of years ago. The Scrupleworks linen is the most supple I have ever used.

Unfortunately the k linen is not for me give me Neil Miller or Torolf linen any day.the k linen would take some breaking in the Torolf linen is lush.

I kind of took the attitude that the old man intended for the canvas to be stiff. I have used it (100s of times) with no effort to "break it in". I didn't wash, bend, scrape or roll it. It is still as stiff and hard as when I got it and I am convinced that it should be that way. I get excellent results with it. I can usually take a freshly honed blade, straight off the stones and improve the HHT with just the Kanyama canvas.

I kind of took the attitude that the old man intended for the canvas to be stiff. I have used it (100s of times) with no effort to "break it in". I didn't wash, bend, scrape or roll it. It is still as stiff and hard as when I got it and I am convinced that it should be that way. I get excellent results with it. I can usually take a freshly honed blade, straight off the stones and improve the HHT with just the Kanyama canvas.

^this

Additionally - I think Mr. Naomi's intention hits the nail on the head.

Top Bottom