What's new

Just bought a 100 pack of Astra's and it says made in India

Which are the originals?

Well the *original* original Astras were Czech (until 2008) when Gillette purchased the brand and moved production to the St Petersburg plant.

In this context, it is the Russian-made Astras that are being compared with the Indian ones as "the originals."

I have not tried a Astra SP in donkey's years. It was sort of a meh blade for me. Certainly not "bad," but still about my least favorite of the Russian Gillettes (which I tend to love). However, they have had a huge fan base of those who really like them, and mine seemed like a minority opinion.

I recently threw a pack of Astra SPs into a recent order that is incoming, just to reappraise them after many moons. I did not realize I my be getting Indian-made Astras. Which is okay by me.

I'm seeking alternative sources.

Bill

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
What are some US vendors that currently sell the Indian made Astra SP? I am interested in trying these for myself.

Well the *original* original Astras were Czech (until 2008) when Gillette purchased the brand and moved production to the St Petersburg plant.
I am afraid your information is wrong. Gillette bought the Astra brand with the Czech plant in 1996. The original Astras were Czechoslovakian. Gillette decided to "resurrect" tha brand in the Russian plant after 2005. There were 3 models Keramik (sic), Superior Stainless and Superior Platinum. As far as I know the Keramik was a new model started in Russia, not made previously in the Czech Republik or Chechoslovakia. After a couple of years the Keramik went the way of the dodo.

I am afraid your information is wrong. Gillette bought the Astra brand with the Czech plant in 1996. The original Astras were Czechoslovakian. Gillette decided to "resurrect" tha brand in the Russian plant after 2005. There were 3 models Keramik (sic), Superior Stainless and Superior Platinum. As far as I know the Keramik was a new model started in Russia, not made previously in the Czech Republik or Chechoslovakia. After a couple of years the Keramik went the way of the dodo.
I'm told by the current co-owner of the Czech plant that produced the Astras in Jevíčko, CZ (which is still operational making current Czech blades) that production was moved from that plant to Russia in 2008.

Perhaps he is providing me with misinformation, but I figure he ought to know?

Bill

I'm told by the current co-owner of the Czech plant that produced the Astras in Jevíčko, CZ (which is still operational making current Czech blades) that production was moved from that plant to Russia in 2008.

Perhaps he is providing me with misinformation, but I figure he ought to know?

Bill
My point was about the year of acquiring the brand (with the plant) by Gillette. It is 1996.

My point was about the year of acquiring the brand (with the plant) by Gillette. It is 1996.

My intended point was that Astra were made in Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic until 2008, when Gillettle moved production to Russia, not about which year the originally Czech-owned company was acquired by Gillette. My apologies if I was unclear, and thank you for the clarification.

The point remains that the *original* original Astras were Czech-made. While the ones being referred to in this thread as "the originals" are the Russian-made Astras.

Bill

No choice now, India, India, India !

india hello GIF

For the people that actually want to hear a report of the infamous Indian Astra Greens: they have wax (maybe less). Some yellowish discoloration on the borders (cutting). I paired it in a Gillette Superadjustable O3 first time using.....shave cream was Gillette Pure, brush Muhle synthetic.

Well 1st: when I started shaving I thought green Astra blades were great.....as time passed and I got other blades they were just middle of the road..... I wanted to have some for historical value BUT instead Amazon sent me made in India. And for those waiting anxiously for some news:

Mine was useless, scraped and pulled, I did 3 short passes, maybe 1.5" on side BURN....and aborted. I finished the shave w the same razor at #6 using a Gillette Plat Russian #6 (that I was going to retire.....) Gillette saved the shave.

I may try this blade in a Wunderbar.....maybe......but I put it at the bottom....with the unusables.....so far

According to Matt at Razor Emporium, Russian blades are No More...
Unless of course, you get them from him, for now. Sales tactic? I dunno, but I sure like the Gillette 7o'clock blacks I got from India.
View attachment 1742923

~doug~

I had ordered a hundred of these in the salon pack from Amazon, on sale for $18. This was a couple of years ago.

What I received was fifty in a torn in half display pack. I was cert much not pleased. Could not resolve with the seller and at first Amazon told me to pound sand.

Eventually, Amazon refunded me. Since then I have bought another four hundred. They are perhaps my number one blade.

Currently, they are $32/100 on Amazon, which is expensive for a blade that is manufactured in India.

Just finished shaving this week with the Gillette 7-O'clock Sharpedge "Yellow". This is showing as still available on Amazon at $15/100. Still appears to be from the Russian PPI plant?

I give this blade an extremely high rating.

In the past, it has been too long since I've had any, the Yellows were among my very favorites.

Thanks for the heaps up.

Bill

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I had ordered a hundred of these in the salon pack from Amazon, on sale for $18. This was a couple of years ago.

What I received was fifty in a torn in half display pack. I was cert much not pleased. Could not resolve with the seller and at first Amazon told me to pound sand.

Eventually, Amazon refunded me. Since then I have bought another four hundred. They are perhaps my number one blade.

Currently, they are $32/100 on Amazon, which is expensive for a blade that is manufactured in India.
I got my Salon Box from a guy selling them on ebay about six months ago for $29/100 blades. When I opened the box one tuck was missing. I emailed the guy and he sent me a tuck right away.

~doug~

Top Bottom