What's new

Just bought a 100 pack of Astra's and it says made in India

My last order from Amazon US included a 100 pack of Indian Astras and I shaved with my first one this morning. I don't like to make decisions based on one shave in one razor so I'm moving the blade to a very familiar razor tomorrow ( RR SLOC ) and I'll report back with further thoughts. At the moment I'm cautiously optimistic.

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

My last order from Amazon US included a 100 pack of Indian Astras and I shaved with my first one this morning. I don't like to make decisions based on one shave in one razor so I'm moving the blade to a very familiar razor tomorrow ( RR SLOC ) and I'll report back with further thoughts. At the moment I'm cautiously optimistic.

View attachment 1744892

Aaaaaa, is that your fingerprint on the blade?

I shaved with the Indian Astra SP again today but put it in my SLOC since that is my most used razor. The shave went pretty quickly and uneventfully. I didn't get a chance to do much prep, so I felt the razor and blade were doing a lot of the work today, and they handled business with no mishaps.

I still feel that this Indian Astra SP might be just a touch rougher than the PPI Astra SP, but it is by no means uncomfortable. I seem to notice the blade a notch more than I remember. At some point, I'll compare them both simultaneously, so I'm comparing apples to apples.

More reporting in the near future.

Does anyone know if the Astras SP RazorBladesClub has in stock are Russian or Indian? I asked them like a week ago, still no reply

Try a different email to send from or something. They always respond to my inquires in a timely fashion. Whatever is listed on the website should be what they are selling, but if you have specific requirements it's understandable that you'd want to ask.

PPI Astra SP, best value in this market. For a bit longer.
Oh well...
It seems that the journey will cross other countries first, before it will, inevitably, come home. Where they belong.
Gillette, best last century, better today.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
FWIW, the India-made SPs are pretty rough on my face. I ordered 300 from Amazon that the posting listed as “Made by Gillette in St. Petersburg Russia.” What I received were made in India. I figured, what the heck, I’ll give it a go.

Frost shave is never the best, but, it was comparable to the Russian blades I previous used. My second shave is always the best, usually a 10/10 with SPs. Not so with the India-made blades. It felt like a Russian blade that I pushed to 4-5 shaves. Very harsh, lot of irritation, bumps…

Asked for a return, but the seller has a no return policy. Bitched to Amazon enough that they gave me a refund and told me I could keep the blades. I ended up tossing them. I wasn’t on here then or I would have given them away to those curious about the difference.

FWIW, the India-made SPs are pretty rough on my face. I ordered 300 from Amazon that the posting listed as “Made by Gillette in St. Petersburg Russia.” What I received were made in India. I figured, what the heck, I’ll give it a go.

Frost shave is never the best, but, it was comparable to the Russian blades I previous used. My second shave is always the best, usually a 10/10 with SPs. Not so with the India-made blades. It felt like a Russian blade that I pushed to 4-5 shaves. Very harsh, lot of irritation, bumps…

Asked for a return, but the seller has a no return policy. Bitched to Amazon enough that they gave me a refund and told me I could keep the blades. I ended up tossing them. I wasn’t on here then or I would have given them away to those curious about the difference.
Should have tossed them my way! 😉

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Seeing that you only ordered them and in this quantity because they were advertised by the seller as Russian made blades, you were completely within your rights to insist on a refund.

The seller was completely out of line.
Pretty much all of the sellers on Amazon say they are made in Russia, but most of the reviews say the are actiually made in India. There are some reputable sellers on eBay that have the Russian blades, mostly les than three years old. A bit more expensive ($12/100), but still very reasonable. I ordered a lifetime (for me, anyway…) supply.

Top Bottom