What's new

Is There A Digital Recorder Similar To Sony's Old TCD-5 Cassette Recorder?

Alright, I admit it up front. I am a sucker for old school, heavy duty, classic items that simply work. We discuss plenty of them here to include our old razors but this goes down the digital rabbit hole.

My wife and I want a good digital recorder for family histories and things of that nature. I posted about using one of the typical dictation recorders a couple of years ago and got great advise as to why that may not be a great idea. So off we go looking at Tascam and others and finding ourselves left really cold on them. Two big reasons. First up these things look like something from a 1960s scifi movie. LOADS of buttons, modes, etc. They most certainly work well for musicians and other pros who will get used to their plethora of functions. However, you can tell by looking at them there is a big learning curve. And to be frank, they are just plain ugly. I know, I know. We need function first and then form can follow. So I started looking at classic tape media recorders. The old reel to reel systems have great appeal. Especially whilst looking over the portable models from the 1960s. That fantasy dream quickly vanished when you realise there are none available and if you do find one it is likely not to work and honestly, you still have digital transfer issues.

So I looked at top quality cassette recorders. One model came up again and again as the best portable likely ever made; Sony TCD-5. The near industrial grade beasties were made from the 1970s to the late 90s but the earlier models are the best. Two issues again. Price. Whew. Most go for several hundred dollars and you really don't know if they work. And the pristine models have set for years and you can bet belts and other moving parts won't like the new exercise too much. But you have to love them. Rugged build, mic inputs, and those oh so cool dual Vu meters for recording levels. These are so tempting but forty years old?

TCD-5
proxy.php

So I went looking and found a model at the old reliable radio manufacturer Sangean. The DAR-101. This has a great many of the features we would like but lacks a few as well. First up, it only records in mp3 mode. No wav, no FLAC. And it only records up to 192Kbs, which may or may not be a big issue. It does have 1/4 inch mic jacks. Some of the TCD-5 models actually had XLR jacks. And it certainly does not have the wicked Vu meters. I believe it has a usb 2.0 port as well. Would any of you know about these? It does come with a number of I/O ports that make it interesting like a phone recording port and digital audio out. It records to SD cards which is a bonus. Is there anything like the TCD-5 out there in digital world? What do you think of the Sangean?

Sangean DAR 101
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Chris, that is a nice model. And the size is very manageable. If I am looking at the specs correctly is about 3.5"(90mm) x 3"(75mm) and around 5-1/4"(135mm) in length. Very compact and easy to carry and stow away. I like it because it does not have a zillion buttons and umpteen I/O ports. The dials look easy to use and the buttons themselves don't look like they have dual or triple functions. Who knows about the menus? The price is good too. When I looked into these the last time this model was not available that I remember. and B&H was the first place I looked at.

On the other hand some of the more hand held styles from all the manufacturers look like they are constantly busy even when turned off. Tiny screens(common to all brands) and tonnes of tiny buttons make them beyond aggravating to use I suspect. There were a couple of other deck style models there that looked pretty good too but the prices get steep fast. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would just use a mobile phone or if you really care about audio quality get a USB microphone for your laptop. Pure digital recording, syncs to cloud services automatically, and you already have most of the hardware.

I second the phone/tablet option. How good of audio quality are you looking for? Something to archive, or transcribe from?

Gents, for the most part I agree with you about keeping it a bit simpler. However, when did anything like that apply at B&B?:wink2: For me the phones are tedious to use. While they are set up to easily snap the ubiquitous selfie or YouTube debacle to embarrass your school mates, I have found them beyond tedious to use for much else. The soft button of the touch screens does not suit me most times. Also, I want something with a mic jack. I find most phone mics to be rather atrocious most times. With old folk and scratchy voices you need some clarity.

Another issue is simple nostalgia. If you have ever handled the old Sony cassette recorders you know they were built like a tank. And had the heft to boot. In fact, the reporters and musicians of those days would likely look at us like we were crazy for not immediately going to the digital recording abilities of our lightweight phone sets. No big argument from me. I just like the heft of the dedicated units. It is what attracted me to the Sangean product to begin with. Simple, clearly defined operation buttons and a no nonsense look to them that sort of suits my tastes.

Practically speaking? Probably no need but there are two ancillary uses I could see for a unit like the Sangean or Tascam. My daughter has a wonderful singing voice and I could see her playing around with it a good bit. Also our church is interested in digital recording of the services and I wouldn't mind playing around with something like the Tascam or other model that had the XLR inputs since I could do either a live recording with a mic or send a signal to it direct from the soundboard through it's input jacks. Either way this is more of a want than a need.

Last edited:
Also our church is interested in digital recording of the services and I wouldn't mind playing around with something like the Tascam or other model that had the XLR inputs since I could do either a live recording with a mic or send a signal to it direct from the soundboard through it's input jacks. Either way this is more of a want than a need.

Unless you just want to record the preacher man, you'll need something with multitrack recording, cause the drums wont come through the sound board (unless you got those mic) and the instruments will over power the vocals. Nothing worse after a Sunday service to plop down and the only thing you can hear is the guitars.

Matt, I hear you about the live stuff. Indeed, something like the Tascam or similar would be appropriate for multiple mic use. The guy who runs the sound board is very good at getting a good mix of sound and choir. Indeed, the drums and piano are not miked up. They produce plenty of sound on their own. We record each sermon to CD and I have noticed unless there is a choir mike open near the piano it washes out in the recording. He keeps any guitar work in line as well. We are not a 'rocking' church but do have some talented members who play some instruments beyond the typical piano or organ. One gent is pretty darned good on trumpet and one younger lady can make her cello nearly weep. Or is the cello making the parishioners weep? And a couple of elderly men are pretty good guitar players. Right now I am thinking more about recording from the sound board just to get a feel for recording levels, etc.

Okay gents, I dug this thread up from page five or six to add one more bump. I found a Sony model that was pretty close to what I would like but it is long discontinued. Even eBay had none. I found a photo with it alongside a TCD-5M cassette recorder. And it does/did have the way cool Vu meters. I know they are sort of passe these days but I always preferred them to the ascending bar graph type displays that you can find on a very few models these days. The photo shows a good size comparison. I would love to find a two channel model that records to wav/pcm and the compressed formats and had a minimal amount of buttons and menus. The PCM-D1 had a nice rotary dial on the right side for scrolling through menus. I will find something eventually that I can live with.

proxy.php

Top Bottom