What's new

Incoming!

On Tuesday, I could pick up a Nikon D5 ordered back in February. As a part time press photographer covering a lot of events, it was about time to replace a well used D3s with over 400k shutter clicks. I had no time yet to try out the new camera.

On Tuesday, I could pick up a Nikon D5 ordered back in February. As a part time press photographer covering a lot of events, it was about time to replace a well used D3s with over 400k shutter clicks. I had no time yet to try out the new camera.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

I will certainly report about the Nikon D5 when I am experienced enough with it. Just like the D3s, it is the kind of camera where you need to use it in action on location to get a feel for the improvements.

I had the same lens on a D3200 a while back, I found my one to be a little sharper if I didn't go to the full 300mm, above 260-270mm(ish) seemed to be where the sharpness tailed off a little, if you haven't already it might be worth trying that with yours and just cropping a little after. I guess it can vary a little between lens copies though.

Thanks Warren, I will give that a try :thumbsup:

Grabbed a great deal on a Mamiya Rb67 ProS last weekend. Came with a 120 insert in the ProS back and the 90mm 3.8 Sekor C lens. Sourcing some 120 colour negative film now and hope to start shooting with it soon!

It's a fantastic fully mechanical camera. No batteries, no auto anything. At 6x7,it's also double the size of my D750 FX sensor so should provide some great pics... Assuming the photographer doesn't screw them up. :p. I need to learn how to shoot all over again. I've spent too long with too many bells and whistles. I'm super stoked!

Cheers

M.

Legion

Staff member
The order is in. Actually, it is sitting on my desk at work, I just haven't paid the bill yet.

$img_main01.jpg

Grabbed a great deal on a Mamiya Rb67 ProS last weekend. Came with a 120 insert in the ProS back and the 90mm 3.8 Sekor C lens. Sourcing some 120 colour negative film now and hope to start shooting with it soon!

It's a fantastic fully mechanical camera. No batteries, no auto anything. At 6x7,it's also double the size of my D750 FX sensor so should provide some great pics... Assuming the photographer doesn't screw them up. :p. I need to learn how to shoot all over again. I've spent too long with too many bells and whistles. I'm super stoked!

Cheers

M.

Sounds great- have fun! Slowing down the process is always positive for my photography. And BTW... the negative is much more than twice the size of 35mm.

On Friday was my first opportunity to test out the Nikon D5 in sport conditions, as press photographer at a figure ice skating show.

Until now, I used a D3s and D4 to cover sport events. Both cameras had AF modes like 3d-tracking or Auto-AF. Basically, they allowed you to not have to move around the AF points by hand, you could just point the camera towards the subject, half press the shutter so it could acquire it and then, however ou moved the camera or the subject moved, the AF was following the acquired subject. It is a pretty nice feature for more or less static subjects, but for sport events, it never really worked well. The AF remained on the subject for a few seconds but quickly switched to the public on the opposite side, way easier to follow.

I started this figure ice skating show with the D5 in the Auto-AF mode just to find out if it improved... I half-press the shutter, all AF points in the viewfinder covering the skater turned red to show the acquired subject, and whatever the skater was doing, the AF points remained as glued on the skater... Wow, this is simply incredible!

I had the camera set to 12fps and it looks like that in such conditions, with AF-C set to focus priority (on a Sigma 120-300/2.8 Sport), the frame rate reduced to 9-10 fps in order to have enough time to follow the skater and make sure it is in focus.

If interested by the results, the photos are on my flickr page under https://www.flickr.com/photos/dschreckling/albums/72157667510292505

Looked at the link and the pics are great. Camera looks amazing.

I love the 3D tracking on my 750. Makes taking pics of my little one so much easier.

$_DSC0291-copy.jpg

A little late as arrived yesterday, but was out shooting a music festival. Arrived home to find my Sigma 60mm f2.8 Art lens had landed. Works fantastically well with the A6000 eye-af too. Shot with natural light behind me, f2.8.

Carl

Well, I did it! Jumped in after a few YouTube videos and reading some online reviews and decided the 'Nifty Fifty' would be my best bet for an all around 'general purpose' lens. Reviews say it should be a good double sharpness from my kit lens, so hopefully this purchase works out!

$20160601_174331.jpg

Couple of quick test shots I just did in the flower bed:

Congrats on the 50mm, looks like an improvement in the images already.
The majority of the time for me to get pin sharp images with any lens I need a tripod or something to rest the camera against such as a tree, post, wall or anything nearby that will help me keep the camera steady, also a fast shutter speed helps defeat the blur! Keep snapping, looking forward to seeing your images:thumbup1:

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
$flash.jpg

Picked up a flash for the X-Pro2. Not the greatest piece of kit, but inexpensive, and will keep me going until Fuji finally get around to releasing their pro level model.

This baby will soon be on its way towards my doorstep :001_smile

A Sony 100 mm macro lens - photo borrowed from Sonys webpage.

Attachments

• $Sony 100 mm macro.jpg
    $Sony 100 mm macro.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 29
The majority of the time for me to get pin sharp images with any lens I need a tripod or something to rest the camera against such as a tree, post, wall or anything nearby that will help me keep the camera steady, also a fast shutter speed helps defeat the blur! Keep snapping, looking forward to seeing your images:thumbup1:

The standard old joke is that your tripod is the sharpest lens in your bag.

Top Bottom