What's new

In Praise of Japanese Aftershaves

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice stuff, I would spend quite a lot in that place!! :eek:

How's Vintage? I got a bottle on my way...

Luc

Staff member
I got a package today. 3 Japanese aftershaves.

1-MG5 - I already know that one but I figured, I should buy another one for lather
2-Vintage - Smells nice actually, SWMBO said ok but I think it's nice.
3-Lordos - I'm really not sure about that one. It's like a powdery grand-pa and grand-ma. This one might end up on BST. I will try it on Sunday when I don't have to go out...

Luc

Staff member
I wanna try some of that Vintage. It it just, meh? Or are we talking awesome goodiness?

I found the Vintage to be a bit more refined than Bravas or MG5. Lighter, barbershop-ish. I haven't tried it on me yet, I only tried to smell it!

Well, since the Wife nixed most of my recent purchases, I'm now going to have to be only a charter member of the Japanese aftershave fan club:crying:

However, I did use the Lucido unscented aftershave last night, and it is good stuff, as Nid Hog has already said. Surprisingly moisturizing for a AS. It may be listed as "unscented", but it still has an alchohol smell when splashing it on.

Well, since the Wife nixed most of my recent purchases, I'm now going to have to be only a charter member of the Japanese aftershave fan club:crying:

However, I did use the Lucido unscented aftershave last night, and it is good stuff, as Nid Hog has already said. Surprisingly moisturizing for a AS. It may be listed as "unscented", but it still has an alchohol smell when splashing it on.

I like the Lucido so far. I haven't tried any others as of yet but I am looking forward to it.

I think that the Lucido qualifies you as a card carrying member! And at least you got to keep the rest of them for a while. "Tis better to have loved and lost, etc."

I bought a bottle of Auslese at a small pharmacy store in Tokyo last summer when I was there for work. Wanted Mandom, MG5 or something else, but Auslese is all they had. It seems to condition the skin well, but has a very faint scent that fades fast once applied. I like it in the summer time.

I bought a bottle of Auslese at a small pharmacy store in Tokyo last summer when I was there for work. Wanted Mandom, MG5 or something else, but Auslese is all they had. It seems to condition the skin well, but has a very faint scent that fades fast once applied. I like it in the summer time.

I've got to try the Auslese...

Luc

Staff member
I tried the Vintage today. Light scent that doesn't last long. Very nice, works well. However, I'm not sure it's worth versus MG5 or Bravas...

I also saw a Auslese version that said "Calming Aftershave Lotion", looked like it had extra moisturizing stuff in there (cloudy as opposed to clear).

There MAY be a small package of Japanese aftershaves being quietly dropped onto the BST in the next little while....just sayin'. :001_tongu

I bought a bottle of Mandom today at the local Japanese market and I like it. It's like a cross between sweaty hooker and Dunhill 1934. Good stuff.

I strolled through japantown san francisco 2 weeks ago...recession has hit hard here ...the really top notch japanese goods are being replaced by cheap chinese stuff....the very few shave products are astronomically expensive...the quality shops that were there are disappearing also,replaced with shops approaching 99 cent stores...

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I will try to attack some reviews next week and I will probably start with that bottle of Vintage Aftershave!

I strolled through japantown san francisco 2 weeks ago...recession has hit hard here ...the really top notch japanese goods are being replaced by cheap chinese stuff....the very few shave products are astronomically expensive...the quality shops that were there are disappearing also,replaced with shops approaching 99 cent stores...

I find this troubling...

Top Bottom