What's new

In Praise of Japanese Aftershaves

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I didn't get to Vintage yet... I got distracted with Denim and Brut...

I will eventually... A tease for now.

Lordos on the left and Vintage on the right.

Lordos is a bit powdery in the scent, not so sure about that one...

Vintage is very nice, there's something fruity in it but I can't put my finger on it yet. It's not too fruity, very mild. There's Menthol in that one but not as strong as Proraso splash, maybe 50%. Someone who finds Proraso to freeze too much, this would be the perfect alternative. Unlike the American Brut that contain menthol but that I can't feel, this is a nice, middle of the road! I will get to it, soon, I hope!

:thumbup:

Last edited:
I just got back from the Hardware store ( Nafco) this evening where I was picking up a small garbage can and a toilet bowl brush. Well anyways, I saw this hair tonic stuff, called Mandom, and I looked at my buddy and said to him "I stared Mandom right in the eye and said NO!"

Funny I just heard of the stuff from this thread. I did look at the shave gear they had there, and although I was genuinely apalled at the size of thier 5 blade razor, i only saw some regular Feather razors (not the platinum) and a bunch of canned foams and three different shave gels. I didn't really notice any aftershaves there, or I would have bought the Mandom.

I did pick up a terrible tasting pre-packaged pastery that I thought would be like a moon-pie while waiting for checkout. Picture is attached.

proxy.php

Let me get this straight. You are in Iwakuni, and you saw something you thought looked like a Moon Pie, and you ate it?

What were you thinking? And where was the RC Cola to go with it?

I made the following post last year. In the intervening year, it doesn't seem to me that much has changed so I thought I'd post it again. Any thoughts?

I make this post to ask why Japanese aftershaves are not more popular among wetshavers. We have a good time joking about Mandom but, to be perfectly honest, it is far from the best of what is available in Japan. Lucido, Auslese, MG5, Valcan and Bravas are all outstanding and I would put them up against any of the other aftershaves that are in use among our members. Plus they're just cool as heck. What's more, they do have genuinely interesting, slightly offbeat aftershaves like Mandom and Eroica for the true seeker.

They are also very reasonably priced. So why is it that none of the fine vendors who offer interesting and obscure (in the US anyway) products from Europe carry these? Why haven't they taken off in popularity like the other esoteric lotions that have been found in Portuguese and Italian barber shops, Austrian haberdasheries, and English men's clubs? Why haven't our members been crying out for the comfort and joy that they provide? I'm sure that there are a few of our members who grew up using Proraso or TOBS, but most saw a review on the boards and decided to find some. Why not more love for Valcan or Bravas?

I have no answer. For me, it's no big deal to resupply my own modest needs. But not everybody else can rely on that regular trip to Tokyo, just like we don't all get to Rome, London, Vienna or Lisbon as often as we might like. What say you, my shaving brethren? Isn't it time to stand up and cry out for aftershaves from the Land of the Rising Sun?

This sounds like a business opportunity to me. If there are great Japanese after-shaves available, and we round-eyes are not aware, well, there is something to be gained. Some enterprising person could just sweep the market with these products.

I'd listen.

I am a big fan of Lucido. I just bought the bottle seen below and I have used almost a third of it since I took the picture.

proxy.php

I am trying to find someone who carries Shiseido Vintage Aftershave at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
I've been using Lucido spiked with Alt Insbruck about 90% of the time the last 3 months. Lucido is nice, but is undcrnted, so I turbocharged it! :thumbup1:

I have three Japanese aftershaves and I like all of them. I just think that their isn't a large enough demand for some of our vendors to bother with importing them. Plus if you live near a large Japanese grocery store like Mitsuwa you can buy the stuff off the shelf.

I think that's a logical argument, but look at the number of members here who own Alt Innsbruck. It isn't like the Austrians are pumping tankers full of it into US harbors. I'm pretty sure that it's even an obscure brand in Europe. But a couple of vendors began to stock it and word of mouth made it popular. But there isn't a single Japanese brand available like that. I'm sure that there are import barriers, but Shiseido isn't an unknown brand in the US. I see it everywhere. I think this would be a cool angle for one of our great vendors to pick up on.

There is a great review on B&B about a Japanese aftershave named 'Kanwa'. I can't post in the review section yet, but this topic has allowed me the opportunity to give some information about it. :thumbup1:

'Kanwa' (緩和)means relief or relaxation in Japanese. This aftershave delivers on its name.

The labels are in Japanese, and some users were wondering whether it had alcohol in it, and yes it does -- エタノール;phonetically: e-ta-no-ru, or ethanol.

The most-likely small amount of alcohol isn't noticeable at all though. It is as soothing as a balm can get, a light-medium consistency with a light scent that dissipates after a few minutes. As I am a complete novice at traditional wet shaving, I can not offer the best advice, but I can promise that 'Kanwa' (manufactured by Feather, the blade company) is a top-notch aftershave. It is presumably available for purchase online, and cost me what would probably be the equivalent of $15 when I was in Japan, well worth the money spent.

Sorry for nerding-out. It isn't often that I can combine Japan and shaving in one conversation. Thumbs up for a more widely available selection of Japanese aftershaves. :thumbup:

I have Mandom, MG5 and Bravas. I rate them highly. I just wish getting them online was possible/easier for me. More of us would definately buy them IMO.

I have Mandom, MG5 and Bravas. I rate them highly. I just wish getting them online was possible/easier for me. More of us would definately buy them IMO.

I also think that sales would go up if they were on a site that targets wetshavers. As it is, you have to dig through a website devoted to Japanese groceries or Asian animation in order to find a bottle of Lucido. In other words, you have to already know what you want. No casual discovery.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Japanese AS are some of the best products I tried. Very nice, most of them old school, except 9 O'clock. I did the compendium not too long ago.

In which to try, I would strongly recommend:
Mandom, Bravas, MG5, Vintage and 9 O'Clock.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Japanese_Aftershave_Compendium

EDIT: I had a quick PM exchange with The Nid Dog and concluded that both threads should be merged to keep the information in one spot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom