What's new

I think Gillette is on to us

At this point I'm guessing that Gillette did some focus groups, some internal R&D and manufacturing testing, but it seems to me they have dropped it. I'll be surprised if a new Gillette DE makes it to market in the US.

Shame, really. I love my Gillette brass and gold fat handle tech. I wish everyone had the chance to easily own one like mine, even if it is inferior in some ways to the one I own. :)

They probably ran a focus group of millenials run by millenials.
Dragged the razors over their faces with the handles parallel to their faces (like one holds a Mach3) and chocked their epic failure up to the massive Improvements made in shaving technology in the last 20 years.
Project cancelation.

They probably ran a focus group of millenials run by millenials.
Dragged the razors over their faces with the handles parallel to their faces (like one holds a Mach3) and chocked their epic failure up to the massive Improvements made in shaving technology in the last 20 years.
Project cancelation.

As someone who is labeled "millennial" by the ignorant now old angry conservatives who previously where draft dodging hippies... I take complete offense to that considering I:
1- have never even touched a mach 3, let alone shaved with one
2- have been de wet shaving for longer then cartridge shaving and I am only 27
3- have a de razor collection that could put a few people here to shame
And
4- I can get a BBS headshave with a single edge shavette and no weepers.

As a matter of fact... Doesn't the AOS ad show a stereotypical "middle aged business man" holding the cartridge while the stereotypical "tattooed hipster" is holding the double edge?

I am flabbergasted at the thought of people assuming us "millennials" are so focused technological advances over everything else in life.

At 27 I'd bet you'd never think I own (and use) an oldschool ribbon ink typewriter? That I don't have cable? That my cell phone only makes phone calls and doesn't go on the internet? I, sir, am living, breathing proof that the common ignorant misconceptions about "millennials" are exactly that.

Rant over, let's get back to relevant razor talk and not dismissing an entire generation because of what you heard on Fox news... Shall we gentlemen?

Last edited:
slybrewguy - as one who has been labeled "Generation X" because apparently there is NO distinguishing feature for my generation (I would have called us the Video Arcade Generation), I will say that the stereotypical 'millennial' _does exist_. That is, people that don't know a time where there wasn't a cellular phone in almost everyone's hand, that likely didn't know dial-up internet (or a time without Facebook/MySpace), and simply can't conceive of doing without all of the various 'extras' in life.

However - keep in mind that all of those groups are just that. rough groups, including outliers. Gen X and Gen Y have the same issues when it comes to razors. Disposables were King when we were growing up (and electrics). I'm one of the rare ones that decided that I wanted a DE when I was 14, and stuck with it.

I argue with my brother what generation I am. I was born in the late 60's, ...... but I don't want to be a Generation X!!!! :w00t: The name just sounds bad. I was 30 before I had a cellphone.

It wasn't focus groups but rather Gillette's legal dept that killed this project. They feared being hit with McDonald's "scalding hot coffee" type lawsuits from people who might cut themselves changing the blade in a 3 piece razor.

I suspect that Gillette wouldn't be too worried about the legal aspect. It should be reasonably easy to quash any lawsuits like that. "We've made these razors for 100 years, and someone is NOW trying to claim that they can't figure it out?"

As someone who is labeled "millennial" by the ignorant now old angry conservatives who previously where draft dodging hippies... I take complete offense to that considering I:
1- have never even touched a mach 3, let alone shaved with one
2- have been de wet shaving for longer then cartridge shaving and I am only 27
3- have a de razor collection that could put a few people here to shame
And
4- I can get a BBS headshave with a single edge shavette and no weepers.

As a matter of fact... Doesn't the AOS ad show a stereotypical "middle aged business man" holding the cartridge while the stereotypical "tattooed hipster" is holding the double edge?

I am flabbergasted at the thought of people assuming us "millennials" are so focused technological advances over everything else in life.

At 27 I'd bet you'd never think I own (and use) an oldschool ribbon ink typewriter? That I don't have cable? That my cell phone only makes phone calls and doesn't go on the internet? I, sir, am living, breathing proof that the common ignorant misconceptions about "millennials" are exactly that.

Rant over, let's get back to relevant razor talk and not dismissing an entire generation because of what you heard on Fox news... Shall we gentlemen?

It's not just Fox news. Such liberal publications such as Time magazine

proxy.php

What is interesting is that you object to being classified as characteristics of the millenniums and then do the very same thing with your saying conservative, draft dodging former hippies who watch Fox news. Kind of destroys your own argument.

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... you object to being classified as characteristics of the millenniums and then do the very same thing with your saying conservative, draft dodging former hippies who watch Fox news. Kind of destroys your own argument.

Can't agree more. Do be careful when you lump people into categories and make a judgement on the whole lot. And there's a difference between then and than.

It seems you're confusing hipsters and millennials. If you use a typewriter because you HAVE to use one, say for typing on pre-existing cards or things that can't be scanned and printed, fine. If you use a typewriter because it's "old school" and no other purpose, you're a hipster. Millennials *CAN* be the things you mentioned but not all are. But for some reason *ALL* hipsters are annoying for a myriad of reasons.

FYI, I'm a YOUNG (well, maybe not as young as I once was), non-angry conservative. There is such a thing.

Mod Note

Gentlemen, if you wish to discuss razors, please return to doing so. Should you wish to discuss politics in the current climate please feel free to open a new browser tab and head off to another website to do so.

Mod Note

Gentlemen, if you wish to discuss razors, please return to doing so. Should you wish to discuss politics in the current climate please feel free to open a new browser tab and head off to another website to do so.

Thank you!

So I have to agree that I doubt Gillette would scrap the project over fears of a lawsuit. As a previous poster said, they invented the safety razor so I'm pretty sure they have covered their bases some time ago as well as with the size and value of their organization I would assume their team of lawyers is such that most people could not even touch them. I could see them being concerned over the fact that they would produce these "new" razors, sell them for probably $50+ a piece, then have most people complain that they are no where near the quality of the vintage. Also, Gillette strikes me as the type of company who cares more about moving forward then back, even if they should have stopped re-inventing the wheel with every product after the atra.

But for some reason *ALL* hipsters are annoying for a myriad of reasons.

Truer words were never spoken.

Anyway, Gillette is truly being silly if it killed a DE project for liablility reasons. After all, it still sells a variety of DEs in various markets. If it's the case, then it's essentially saying that the average American can't handle something so complex as a DE razor. Insulting is what that is.

Last edited:
Thank you!

So I have to agree that I doubt Gillette would scrap the project over fears of a lawsuit. As a previous poster said, they invented the safety razor so I'm pretty sure they have covered their bases some time ago as well as with the size and value of their organization I would assume their team of lawyers is such that most people could not even touch them. I could see them being concerned over the fact that they would produce these "new" razors, sell them for probably $50+ a piece, then have most people complain that they are no where near the quality of the vintage. Also, Gillette strikes me as the type of company who cares more about moving forward then back, even if they should have stopped re-inventing the wheel with every product after the atra.

Completely agree. All Gillette would have to do is have a warning disclosure on the packaging to avoid lawsuits.

As far as producing new DE's, I'll be very surprised if they do. They are way too big and too smart of a company to produce a product that will compete with their current fortune maker. Besides, why now? us wet shavers are just a small population and we're living in a time where beards are common. To try to convert a cartidge shaver to a DE shaver takes something more than just stocking them at the stores.
How many of us wet shavers ran to our local store to buy a Micro Touch? Probably very few. If wet shavers want a razor, we buy online most of the time for a razor we do research on. If Gillette produced a safety razor, the very few wet shavers of the world would be the only ones buying.

I just ran into someone today that the only reason that he _hasn't_ been using a DE is that he didn't know where to get one. He wasn't even aware of the VDH ones at Kroger/Wal-mart nowadays. He thought the only ones around were "Go to the Galleria" at the high dollar stores, and pay excessive amounts of money. I'll be passing him a 40's Super Speed, a stick of Arko, and some Derby/Shark/Astra blades, I think.

I just ran into someone today that the only reason that he _hasn't_ been using a DE is that he didn't know where to get one. He wasn't even aware of the VDH ones at Kroger/Wal-mart nowadays. He thought the only ones around were "Go to the Galleria" at the high dollar stores, and pay excessive amounts of money. I'll be passing him a 40's Super Speed, a stick of Arko, and some Derby/Shark/Astra blades, I think.

Awesome! I wish I knew someone who would have helped me with a solid starter den!

We are a few weeks away from another new member curious on blade angle lol

Top Bottom