What's new

I need a paddle strop.

I just joined a wood carving club and they use strops to keep the knives sharp. The one I saw was about 10 inches long by about 3 inches wide and it was recommended that I get one. It had leather on one side and I don't know what on the other side. (I recently found out that it's called a paddle strop).

Given that I trust y'all more than other folks selling stuff, I thought I would ask here before I go a-huntin. I posted a WTB but thought I would ask here for recommendations and perhaps a pointer to some reliable merchants.

thanks

Groan, why did I think this would be easy.

I have been poking around reading threads that have the word "paddle" in them. Cough, cough, there are a few of them.

The knife I am using has at most about a 2" blade and, for now, I use it once a week in class. That will probably change when I get enough skills to be able to practice at home.

While I was sitting in class, other members would make periodic visits to a bench grinder to sharpen something. Maybe their chisels and maybe their knives. I will ask next week.

Would I also need a hone or does this paddle strop have both ?

What about some kind of grinding compound ?

thanks

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=94&cat=102&page=1

Thanks very much Mike, for this valuable info.

I already have a knife that I bought at the class. It seems to be pretty good, a Mike Shipley,and I reckon it will serve me well until I know enough to know the difference.

It seems that the strop I linked to might be overkill, so I bought an Arkansas sharpening stone and some oil. I am thinking that I could sharpen at home and take an inexpensive paddle strop to class for periodic strops.

Legion

Staff member
Thanks very much Mike, for this valuable info.

I already have a knife that I bought at the class. It seems to be pretty good, a Mike Shipley,and I reckon it will serve me well until I know enough to know the difference.

It seems that the strop I linked to might be overkill, so I bought an Arkansas sharpening stone and some oil. I am thinking that I could sharpen at home and take an inexpensive paddle strop to class for periodic strops.

Yes, that is how you would do it. There would be no reason to hone in class. If you feel the edge start to dull just give it a quick strop and go again.

This is the type of paddle I make and use. The board is 2.5" wide maple and the leather is kangaroo. This sort of thing is good for newbie razor guys because you do not have to worry about keeping it flat like you do with a hanging strop. It would work for knives as well.

The smaller green thing is a balsa bench strop and it is impregnated with chromium oxide, which works like a very fine hone.

proxy.php

Yes, that is how you would do it. There would be no reason to hone in class. If you feel the edge start to dull just give it a quick strop and go again.

This is the type of paddle I make and use. The board is 2.5" wide maple and the leather is kangaroo. This sort of thing is good for newbie razor guys because you do not have to worry about keeping it flat like you do with a hanging strop. It would work for knives as well.

The smaller green thing is a balsa bench strop and it is impregnated with chromium oxide, which works like a very fine hone.

proxy.php

Thank you Legion.

Dang, I just noticed that you are in the "Down Under" or I would have bought one of those green thingies.
At least I think that is what I might need for class.

Legion

Staff member
Thank you Legion.

Dang, I just noticed that you are in the "Down Under" or I would have bought one of those green thingies.
At least I think that is what I might need for class.

Ah yes, the eternal problem with proximity :laugh:.

If you need advice on getting one together yourself feel free to PM me.

Top Bottom