What's new

Why Did You Start SR Shaving?

About twelve years ago, when I purchased my own wet shaving gear after using my grandfather's setup when I was a teen, I thought I would eventually start straight razor shaving. Now, with a dozen or more vintage Gillette DE razors and a couple of SE artist club razors, I still haven't tried straight razor shaving. Recently, I watched some straight razor tutorials and videos of people shaving with SRs, and it looks just as intimidating as ever! Strops, honing, finishing stones, and the razors themselves seem like an entirely different and deep rabbit hole. I have sharpened knives with stone and steel for decades, and maintaining an SR isn't entirely intimidating, but it is undoubtedly more skill and time than replacing a DE or SE blade in my current razors.

My question is more about temperament and personality than the physical act of SR shaving. I am primarily a one-pass shaver, with occasional buffing or a partial re-lather for the trickier parts of my neck. However, even with a re-lather, I work quickly and efficiently. I very much enjoy the process, but I wouldn't say I like spending too much time. To be candid, I like the idea of having the skill to straight razor-shave more than what it entails. Similar to how I appreciate the skill of playing guitar, but anytime I tried to pick it up, I got frustrated, and the myriad other things I enjoy took over.

I do not doubt that a skilled SR shaver can be quick and efficient. I'm unsure if I have the patience to take it on. I also have a relatively angular face and neck and am nervous about the potential bloodletting.

What drew you to straight razor shaving? I think it is an elegant and amazing way to shave. I'm just concerned it isn't for me. On a side note, would starting with a shavette and the SE blades I currently use be a good way to dip my toe in the waters?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Congratulations on a well thought out post. I can tell you that there is a post on here probably 17 years ago where I stated I would NEVER become a straight razor shaver. Ironically within months after that post I picked up an old Wade & Butcher 5/8 straight at an antique store along with a PUMA 89 and sent the W&B to Josh Earl to hone for me. I vividly remember my first shave with it to this day.

DE razors are very cool but the King of Shaving is the straight razor. Once proficient with it you’ll wish you’d started earlier. The good news is there are some absolutely great gentlemen here at B&B who will help guide you.

The key is at minimum a quality vintage razor (in my opinion) properly honed. A quality strop. And patience.

I do not doubt that a skilled SR shaver can be quick and efficient.
They can be. Or, they can be terribly slow and inefficient, or both or either depending on the day.
I'm unsure if I have the patience to take it on.
Then you might not; I believe people instinctively know their limits.
I also have a relatively angular face and neck and am nervous about the potential bloodletting.
Most people get cut along the way. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
What drew you to straight razor shaving? I think it is an elegant and amazing way to shave.
Lots of things about it interest me. One thing is that I can get a good shave without it being shrouded a lot of fanfare, plastic packaging, hoopla and phoney advertising gimmicks. But if you are attracted to perceived elegance and amazing aspects, then that is what really matters. There are sooo many threads like this on B&B, the search engine might yield a ton of info to help you see the big picture.
I'm just concerned it isn't for me.
Then it might not be. Seems to me the majority of those who start off with heavy doubt don't stick around. The good news is that sticking with it, or not, is irrelevant. It's just shaving. If you try it and it isn't for you, then you can just stop and do something else.
On a side note, would starting with a shavette and the SE blades I currently use be a good way to dip my toe in the waters?
I personally do not see shavettes emulating a straight well enough to be useful 'training wheels'. The form factor is similar but there is no honing, no stropping, the angles, weights and balance are all very different. But they can be fun to use. No harm in trying them out and some people prefer them over real straights.

A few different reasons/circumstances came together. I used to watch my grandfather shave with a straight when I was very young, so I was naturally curious. One of my motivations for starting wetshaving in around 2002 was to cut down on the amount of plastic and waste, so straights seemed the logical endpoint.

Then, when I found this place, I foolishly started lurking in this thread:

Looking back, it was only a matter of time before I succumbed! :p

To your points:
  • It is a lot easier to learn than playing an instrument
  • The bloodletting is pretty minor, really. The fear on the other hand, is real!
  • I have an angular face: prominent jaw line and chin, and it did take a while to get close shaves
  • My straight shaves now take the same time as a DE shave (pass for pass)
  • For me, straight shaves are much more enjoyable than DE shaves; both the actual shave and the feeling afterwards.
Rather than a shavette, I'd recommend you grab a well honed straight from someone here as a loner and give it a shot. You'll know pretty quickly whether it is going to stick or not.

Started in high-school, grandma told me to try it out because I was complaining about cartridge razors. Obviously high school me thought it was cool so I was hooked. I think it can be easier than people think it is shaving wise. Maintenance wise though you will need to put some money in for a good strop and something to maintain the razor edge. Will also be a decent time sink with finding what your preferred edge is and the best way to get there.

Wouldn't suggest it to anyone trying to save money or time. Very relaxing and rewarding though. If you like the idea of sharpening then it can be real fun. I shave after work/gym in the evening - but would DE shave if I had to shave every morning quickly. Another positive is you might end up with all the stones you need to keep your knives sharp!

A few different reasons/circumstances came together. I used to watch my grandfather shave with a straight when I was very young, so I was naturally curious. One of my motivations for starting wetshaving in around 2002 was to cut down on the amount of plastic and waste, so straights seemed the logical endpoint.

Then, when I found this place, I foolishly started lurking in this thread:

Looking back, it was only a matter of time before I succumbed! :p

To your points:
  • It is a lot easier to learn than playing an instrument
  • The bloodletting is pretty minor, really. The fear on the other hand, is real!
  • I have an angular face: prominent jaw line and chin, and it did take a while to get close shaves
  • My straight shaves now take the same time as a DE shave (pass for pass)
  • For me, straight shaves are much more enjoyable than DE shaves; both the actual shave and the feeling afterwards.
Rather than a shavette, I'd recommend you grab a well honed straight from someone here as a loner and give it a shot. You'll know pretty quickly whether it is going to stick or not.
Is there any particular reason to avoid a shavette? I am close to pulling the trigger on a Feather DX and some guarded blades. Since I am using single-edge artist club razors already, I have plenty around, and it seems like I would be mimicking a straight razor in most ways. I understand the edge and performance may differ, and if a shavette works out, I imagine a real SR would be the next step. To my uneducated way of looking at this, a shavette with guarded blades gives me a chance to learn some basic techniques with slightly less risk. If I buy an SR, I will also buy a strop, etc., and it becomes a whole other thing. Picking up a shavette helps to minimize my educational and skill investment to a degree. I fully accept I may be completely wrong, I am just curious.

A shavette looks like a straight, but it doesn't necessarily shave like one. That's why I suggested getting a loner; no real investment (other than postage) and you can then work out if it resonates with you.

As far as what drew me to using a SR in the first place, I really don't know; I just know that it's had an appeal to me for years and I finally decided to stop fighting it. I'm still a beginner, having been using what looks like a SR for about a month and a half, but it's turned a chore that I'd take on every week or two into something I enjoy doing daily. And, if you're worried about cuts, get yourself a styptic pencil in the local drug store and use that on any nicks or weapers; it stings a little, but is very good at stopping the bleeding.

Is there any particular reason to avoid a shavette? I am close to pulling the trigger on a Feather DX and some guarded blades. Since I am using single-edge artist club razors already, I have plenty around, and it seems like I would be mimicking a straight razor in most ways. I understand the edge and performance may differ, and if a shavette works out, I imagine a real SR would be the next step. To my uneducated way of looking at this, a shavette with guarded blades gives me a chance to learn some basic techniques with slightly less risk. If I buy an SR, I will also buy a strop, etc., and it becomes a whole other thing. Picking up a shavette helps to minimize my educational and skill investment to a degree. I fully accept I may be completely wrong, I am just curious.

I have a few straights and a Feather DX. I've been using the DX almost exclusively for the last several months. I think that it's a great way to see what it's about, without giving yourself a part time job maintaining straights. You don't even have to dry the DX when you're done, it's stainless. And there's a lot of carryover from it to straights.

I'd skip the guarded blades though. Just start out shaving the easy parts with the DX and do the trickier stuff with whatever you're comfortable with. You won't have to rush the process; you'll naturally find yourself shaving more and more of your face/neck with the DX.

You'll most likely get a few cuts, but they'll almost certainly be very shallow. You'll naturally use a very light touch, and that just doesn't usually lead to bad cuts.

I love my DX. It gives me at least as good of a shave as any other tool I own, and there's practically zero maintenance.

I started at the end of 2023 and have to say, a SR provides the closest shave I’ve ever had. No irritation whatsoever, plus it’s fun putting a blade to my face. I started off slowly and cautiously. One needs to respect the steel. It took a month of daily shaving to feel comfortable and no longer fear the blade. I cut myself twice early on, mostly due to carelessness and a lack of dexterity. I recommend giving it a shot if you’re so inclined. I look forward to the ritual every day. It’s a steep learning curve but like all things in life, the worthwhile things demand application and attention and reward in return - in spades.

UPDATE: I ordered a Ralf Aust 5/8 round point with bone scales from Maggard's and a Roughout Horsehide Strop from Jim Miller. Maggard's providing a honed razor was appealing, and I figure I can keep it going with the strop until I either need it re-honed or decide to buy stones. While I am intrigued by the Feather DX on Amazon, it was the same price as the Ralf Aust SR from Maggard's, so I figured I would go with a real SR immediately. I've been watching videos and reading through the shaving instructions for beginners in the sticky, so my preparation for the first shave has begun! Watching videos and reading about B&B has made me less nervous, but I am still nervous! This should be fun. I already have a styptic pencil and alum block, so I should be set for a while other than stones at some point in the future.

I ended up adding Naniwa S1 stones in 8k and 12k. For now, I plan to do my best not to mess up the edge and learn to maintain between sending the razor off to be honed. If I can figure out how to shave with a straight razor without slicing my face off, I'll probably pick up another razor to rotate and use while a pro hones the other. If this becomes a regular part of my shaving routine, I might try coarser stones to hone myself more.

You are very well set. The 12k will refresh your edge all by itself. Remember the Superstones are 'splash and go' and do not soak them. Just add a little water as needed. The guys who complain about S1 hones warping I suspect of soaking.

Eventually you may want a method to flatten your hones. No rush. You should be using a very light touch and just a few laps to refresh your edge.

I am a pasted balsa strop believer (diamonds in my case) and seldom even go back to the 12k.

Everything else I have (a lot) is to support my SR restoration hobby or to satisfy my natural stone curiosity.

You are very well set. The 12k will refresh your edge all by itself. Remember the Superstones are 'splash and go' and do not soak them. Just add a little water as needed. The guys who complain about S1 hones warping I suspect of soaking.

Eventually you may want a method to flatten your hones. No rush. You should be using a very light touch and just a few laps to refresh your edge.

I am a pasted balsa strop believer (diamonds in my case) and seldom even go back to the 12k.

Everything else I have (a lot) is to support my SR restoration hobby or to satisfy my natural stone curiosity.
Haha! I freaked out about the warping that someone mentioned, canceled the Naniwa order, and placed an order for Shapton Kuromaku 8 and 12k stones. I'll calm down now! I've read about the pasted balsa and may eventually add something along those lines. But if I take my time and don't do anything silly, I should be in good shape with what I have for a while.

Haha! I freaked out about the warping that someone mentioned, canceled the Naniwa order, and placed an order for Shapton Kuromaku 8 and 12k stones. I'll calm down now! I've read about the pasted balsa and may eventually add something along those lines. But if I take my time and don't do anything silly, I should be in good shape with what I have for a while.
My Superstones are all S2, no warping to report. I'm sure the Shaptons will be excellent.

You will be way ahead of most of the SR shavers over the last two centuries. They made do with pasted leather and linen strops, small barber hones of wildly varying quality, and a few, usually small, natural rocks. We are now spoiled and have the time/resources to get the closest, most comfortable (and most obsessive) SR shaves in human history.

My Superstones are all S2, no warping to report. I'm sure the Shaptons will be excellent.

You will be way ahead of most of the SR shavers over the last two centuries. They made do with pasted leather and linen strops, small barber hones of wildly varying quality, and a few, usually small, natural rocks. We are now spoiled and have the time/resources to get the closest, most comfortable (and most obsessive) SR shaves in human history.
I have obsessive down to a fine science. In all seriousness, I've found it is far easier to maintain an edge than to rebuild one with knives, chainsaws, etc. With the delicate edge of a straight razor, I'm sure that is even more true.

Another update. I picked up a Solingen Paul Drees Sistrum NOS that will be opened and honed by Griffith Shaving. Two razors, one new and one vintage, should keep me rolling for quite a while. At this point, I have no choice but to learn SR shaving and embrace it! Also, my strop is from Tony Miller, not "Jim" for clarification.
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 8.55.43 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 9.01.22 AM.png

Top Bottom