What's new

How to tell a good deal on an old Gillette

What you're looking at seems to be a great price so far. But, I'd imagine the bidding war will increase significantly during the last hour or two. I guess the best way to determine a fair price is by comparing that particular razor to others like it on the bay. If they're all about the same price, then that's about what it's worth. Does that make any sense?

Giving valuations is frowned upon here, but I will say that razor looks pretty nice to me. Generally, look for razors with all the components straight and true — bent bits can sometimes be straightened, but not always. With tto razors, it's worth asking if the mechanism works properly, because often they are gunked up, although this can very often be fixed. In some ways simpler three-piece designs are better, because you can usually tell if something doesn't look right. And don't worry if a razor looks really dirty, because these ate often cheaper and can invariably be cleaned up.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I will tell you though that a 50's Flair Tip is a wonderful way to start your journey into vintage Gillettes. They are fantastic shavers!

Search completed sales to get a feel for the market. Look at a Buy it Now sale. You should be able to get a nice Tech or Flare Tip for $15-25.

Thanks guys I wasn't sure on the policy on asking for advice on this type of stuff!

While posting links to LIVE auctions are prohibited by the B&B Terms of Service, an item with a Buy It Now price is allowed.

As others have stated, check closed auction listings to get a general feel for the price-range of a given item. Also, factor in shipping to your costs, and evaluate the seller's reputation ratings.

Once you've been at this for a while, you'll have a good feel for the prices on vintage razors. Condition plays a big part in evaluating a razor, as does its rarity. The inclusion of a case, blade bank, instructions and/or the shipper will all increase the value. New Old Stock (never been used or even opened) tend to go for much more, and these are of particular interest to collectors.

Awesome tips guys thanks a bunch!!
Even though I'm a youngster (21) I've not spent a lot of time on eBay so I had no idea you could search closed auctions

And...when you figure shipping, nerves, amount saved, etc, sometimes I think a local purchase for a few dollars more might be worth a look.
I used to buy on eBay and have pretty much just been using it for a benchmark reference lately.
It's always nice to be able to judge items in hand before shelling out money, IMHO...

Check out local flea markets, estate sales, consignment shops, etc... I found a great Gillette New (1930s vintage) for $9.00 at a consignment place a couple of months ago. It's become my favorite DE shaver.

My apologies - I just noticed the thread was "How to tell a good deal..." not "Where to find a good deal..."

It's Friday afternoon, 'nuff said!

Check out local flea markets, estate sales, consignment shops, etc... I found a great Gillette New (1930s vintage) for $9.00 at a consignment place a couple of months ago. It's become my favorite DE shaver.
I think it is important to note that the "good deal" isn't going to be on ebay most of the time. E

bay has a tendency to force prices higher than they should be on a lot of items, leading one to believe that a lower price will not be found. One of the things I have learned is to look at many listings, paying particular attention to photo's, often the description is inaccurate enough that you may think you are looking at one model when the photo is of another. So in addition to condition you are looking for things that confirm actual model/year etc.

One of the best things I did was start by buying "lots" of shaving stuff (soap/brushes etc) that included a razor or two thrown in. Often the razors are thrown in because they are dirty old looking things but as long as the other things you are buying are a good value, the razor is of less concern. I did this so I could pick up some old razors AND learn to clean them and identify them before setting out to buy a razor all by itself. Doing this I got an early model superspeed that cleaned up great AND a box of fantastic old brushes and odd items for $20.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I think it is important to note that the "good deal" isn't going to be on ebay most of the time.

True that many times you may have to pay a bit more, but there are still many great deals on the bay. You will have to work at it a little bit though. I got a whole bunch of nice vintage Gillettes on the bay for under $20 in great condition. I just put in what I want to be my final price, and hope for the best. I dont snipe. And I dont stress over it. If I am at the computer when the auction ends, I may sit and watch for an outbid notice to pop up and play around with it a little more. But most times I just let it ride and see what happens. I do score quite a few great razors though at bargain prices. You just have to get lucky that no one else is looking for that exact razor. there are so many vintage Gillettes on there right now that you can sometime have you pick. But not Fat Boys though. Been trying to score one of those for a while and havent found the right deal yet. The last Flair Tip I got on the Bay was around $13 shipped if I recall correctly.

That is also the most common Gillette vintage. If u start collecting, eventually you will have 20 that come in lots when you're buying other razors.

Top Bottom