What's new

How much Essential Oil to use?

So I have decided to make a batch of Bay Rum Aftershave using one of the recipes that is easy to find online.

I had real trouble finding Pimenta Racemosa Bay Leaves anywhere local, so I bought a little bottle of essential oil instead. While I was at it, I picked up Sweet Orange essential oil too because it was really cheap and I wasn't crazy about "zesting" an orange.

My question now is; how much essential oil of each variety should I use in this recipe? Its the common one using 4oz of vodka, 2 tablespoons of rum, etc.

Don't want to over or under do the scent.

Thanks in advance!

:001_smile

when I blend scents I add EO several drops at a time, shake and sniff and just keep adding until I like it.

I was reading another thread here yesterday that said that Fine Aftershaves contain 3-4% fragrance oil and that that amount was greater than most. I assume that it would be similar for essential oils.

I used 6-10 drops of bay EO and 4 of clove and 4 of cinnamon EO to 5 oz of AS base as a starting point and worked from that...

Too much EO can be bad since some kinds will cause skin problems when applied and exposed to sunlight...

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
there are a list of some essential oils, that are extremely phototoxic, so do research on the oils that are selected. I'm not sure if sweet orange or cinnamon is on that list, but I know, Lime, Mandarin Orange, Bitter Orange, Bergamot and a few others are.

there are a list of some essential oils, that are extremely phototoxic, so do research on the oils that are selected. I'm not sure if sweet orange or cinnamon is on that list, but I know, Lime, Mandarin Orange, Bitter Orange, Bergamot and a few others are.
+1, check first. Often fragrance oils have some of these in them too. Plus, each phototoxic oil will have different dilution limits.

In 4 oz I've put in as few as 15 drops and as many as 20 or so. As for the rum alcohol I used white rum. I since omit the rum as it added no scent benefit based on my nose. I use Everclear for the alcohol which has a higher proof than vodka so it bites better, for me anyway. 15 drops of Pimenta Racemosa essential oil, 4 drops of vanilla, 4 drops of orange or sweet orange and 2 drops of cinnamon might be agreeable to you. As for the citrus essential oils I'm no expert in phototoxicity but I've used them all and in the dilution I use I'm OK with, but you will make your own call. I do like adding lime to my Bay Rum aftershave as it's a nice top note. Other items I add to my brews are vitamin E, glycerin, aloe vera sometimes, witch hazel sometimes and now playing with adding alum. A bottle of pimenta racemosa will make a LOT of aftershave so don't be afraid to play around. Typically I believe that Aftershaves have around 3% essential oils or perfume oils in them, but just go my your nose.

M

Member 113878

Do you guys know if Scentoils Bay Rum EO can be safely used in aftershaves?
I only found that brand for Bay Rum EO.
They can be found on eBay.

Thanks!

Top Bottom