How many shaves do you get on your SE GEM PTFE blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razor Blades' started by turtle, May 9, 2012.

How many shaves are you getting with your GEM PTFE group buy Blade?

1. 1 Shave - I always toss a blade after 1 use

2. 2 Shaves - never more then 2 shaves with any blade

3. 3 Shaves - I got a lot so not stretching them

4. 4 Shaves - about like my DE blades

5. 5 Shaves - a full work week's worth of shaves

6. 6 Shaves - starting to show its age

7. 7 Shaves - good value for the money

8. 8 Shaves - boy am I gonna save some money now

9. 9 Shaves - wow this thing is incredible

10. 10 Shaves - the superman of blades

11. MORE than 10 Shaves - it will last forever

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. brianw

brianw Moderator Emeritus

Just had a 10th shave... Ever Ready 1912, showing no signs of getting tossed yet. In all fairness this blade was from last years Group Buy

3. I have not voted yet as I am still using it. I am on my 9th full shave, and 4th partial shave (where I had only used a SE for one or two passes).

I guess technically I could say right now 10 plus, but I will wait until I toss the first blade.

4. Sullybob

Sullybob Contributor

I get around seven shaves from each blade.

5. Havent voted yet; Im on shave number 5 and its still going. GEM 1912

6. Gam

Gam Contributor

I've been using a OCMM and with head and face shaves I get at least 7 shaves per blade,not bad when you count in the head shave too.

7. I get about 7 shaves!

8. TCP

TCP

7 Shaves and counting. Believe that it will be 10+, these are great blades.

9. I usually toss them after about five shaves, but could easily see them going more. I voted on the blade, of which I have many, although I did not do the group buy.

10. I finally tossed my first blade. 11 shaves and the few partial ones. I hand strop 30 times per side before each shave, not sure if that made any difference at all.

I think I pushed this blade to the limit, and will probably not go past 9 shaves unless I must. Still got a DFS from the last shave but felt a little tugging.

11. I regularly do 3 shaves and change - left over from my DE days .. I have gone 5 or 6 SE shaves - but really, why push it at all?

Gee, my SE razors with coated SE blades just goes right through the whiskers ... LOSER & Proud!

12. i usually toss these after 15 shaves. they just keep on going.

13. I don't usually get more than 4 or 5 shaves from a blade. But I don't throw them out 'cause we use them here at work and even if they're too dull to shave with, they'll still cut foam core just fine. :001_tongu

Anybody here use one of the stropping tools they used to ship with the Streamline sets?

14. I use these blades- though not from the group purchase- and usually toss them at 7 shaves- not because they are dull but only from fear they will become dull. the blades are just magnificent in My Gem Damaskeene!

15. Wow, around 45% use them 7 times or more. I thought I was alone in stretching them out that long.

I am a complete cheapskate don't ya know.

16. Realized that I was using a regular walgreens SS blade. switched to a GEM PTFE Blade from the group buy and just finished shave 4. fresh as new still. Will vote when I toss it.

17. ackvil

ackvil Moderator Contributor

I have so many of these blades from individual purchases as well as the group buy so I toss after 4 shaves rather than stretch it out any further.

18. I usually go four shaves with a SE blade (generally go three with a SE blade). However, when on vacation, I have gone as many as seven shaves with an SE blade and could have possibly gone a couple more. I like a good sharp blade so probably give up on them sooner than I need to.

DD

19. Several times (same blade & packaging, but not this particular buy) I've compared a blade that I thought ought to be dull by now against a new blade stored in another razor...and concluded there still wasn't a perceptible difference after 8 or 9 shaves. To my surprise.

Mine seem to go 8-11 with 10 being typical for me. This is using them at a pretty low angle, as low as possible. When I've gone back to experiment with higher angle, the go downhill faster.

20. one face & head shave for me.... i like the feel of a new blade..