What's new

High Proof Half-DE Single Edge Razor

So I had my first shave with the High Proof razor and it was just okay. I will admit to poor prep as I was excited to just shave with it so I quickly wet my face and slathered it with conditioner. I also used a new to me blade that I hadn’t tried before so I probably need to remove that from the equation.

What I liked:

Design and finish of the razor.

That it feels like it would be impossible to cut yourself although I did wind up with a weeper.

What I disliked:

It was hard to reach up under the nose as others have reported.

The way the blade is held in place is not confidence inspiring.

Appears to clog easily in the center of the blade due to the way the head is attached to the handle.

I’ll keep at it with good prep and a blade I’m more familiar with and see how it goes.

Some further thoughts after using the High Proof for a bit:
  • Don't shave with it like a normal DE razor, use the pivot and take longer strokes
  • I put the back of the head on my skin, then press the razor until the blade reaches the skin. If I put the head flat against my skin without adding a bit of pressure and engaging the pivot, I had the razor skip, which gave me a nick.
  • This razor can have a some drag at times, think of that as a feature, not a bug. When there was a bit of drag I felt like it was doing the skin stretching for me and cutting very closely. If you hate drag, this is probably not the razor for you.
  • A thin coat of slick lather works well
It is able to deliver great, drama-free shaves.

Hmmmm, I wonder what we will hear on Thursday...

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 10.10.14 PM.png

I agree and also am a bit relieved. I always hate it when I am an early adopter and then a second version is released quickly after that obviates the original.
It's still going to be as good a shaver as it had been when released.
Besides, a new version might have something that you wouldn't like.

For anyone interested in this razor:
Update on the High Proof (I don't own one but have been looking at it!)
I just read on another site that High Proof is working right now on an updated version!
Figured I'd post that here since not many talk about this razor.

The new version I’d on their site now though it is already sold out.

The new version I’d on their site now though it is already sold out.
Wow! That was a surprise release. Lets see when they have more in stock!
I wonder what they did with all the old models?
I had asked them before if they would discount one because of the upcoming new model and they
said no. They had plenty of those in different colors and now they don't show up on the website.

I had asked them before if they would discount one because of the upcoming new model and they
said no. They had plenty of those in different colors and now they don't show up on the website.
Probably just sold all the V1

New design is interesting, using a spring instead of magnets for the swivel.
New version has stronger magnets holding the head top cap.
Longer more solid handle
Bigger slots to aid in clearing
And a ridged cap for less suction effect.

I'm interested but not committed. I still prefer my old Gillette Sensor to anything. The major difference between the Proof razor, yes they dropped the "high", and my Sensor is that the head is constantly driven full forward and can swivel back from there. The Sensor head is held centered and can swivel forward and back from there. Not sure how that will affect/differ the shaving technique but it seems like it would be different.

For what's it worth, the original didn't have the strongest magnets, but it still shaves fine - the top cap doesn't go anywhere.
It is a bit more aggressive for me than e.g. the Leaf with a single blade, and not quite as smooth, but the somewhat smaller head makes me prefer it over the Leaf these days.

I'm rather disappointed that the new Broman II turned out to be such a crap shoot.

And the new Shavent Compact suffers from the same issue its older relative does - the head's even bulkier than that of the Leaf.

Lately, I'm finding that I prefer razors without a pivot but a built-in guide, like the Henson, Yaqi Tile or The Razor Company's aluminium and steel razors.
Would like to try an Overlander at some point, just need to see an aluminium one either available on Karve's website or on BST.

And then there's Yaqi Ghost. Stando Weles might be redundantly aggressive, but the Morana looks very nice and from what I've read/heard so far, it's fairly mild, so in the zone I'm looking for.

@LRod Have you tried any of the above?

For what's it worth, the original didn't have the strongest magnets, but it still shaves fine - the top cap doesn't go anywhere.
It is a bit more aggressive for me than e.g. the Leaf with a single blade, and not quite as smooth, but the somewhat smaller head makes me prefer it over the Leaf these days.

I'm rather disappointed that the new Broman II turned out to be such a crap shoot.

And the new Shavent Compact suffers from the same issue its older relative does - the head's even bulkier than that of the Leaf.

Lately, I'm finding that I prefer razors without a pivot but a built-in guide, like the Henson, Yaqi Tile or The Razor Company's aluminium and steel razors.
Would like to try an Overlander at some point, just need to see an aluminium one either available on Karve's website or on BST.

And then there's Yaqi Ghost. Stando Weles might be redundantly aggressive, but the Morana looks very nice and from what I've read/heard so far, it's fairly mild, so in the zone I'm looking for.

@LRod Have you tried any of the above?
I have the Henson aggressive +++ in both aluminum and titanium. Excellent razor!
And I have two Stando's, the Chors and the Cat Claw OC. Also excelent!
I haven't tried any of the others you listed.

Back in stock!
$120

If anyone tries the new version please boost a review.

Listed as the best razor ever on the site. End of discussion. Everyone buy one of these and shut down the website.

I looked for the overall length and weight. No luck. I checked the about us page and there is no way to contact them to ask.

Listed as the best razor ever on the site. End of discussion. Everyone buy one of these and shut down the website.

I looked for the overall length and weight. No luck. I checked the about us page and there is no way to contact them to ask.
The site wasn't working well earlier, here is the first thing I saw on the site:
I_Home_Page_2_Mobile.jpg

To add. The head geometry reminds me of a Bic Sensitive. Also, besides no razor length or weight, there is no blade gap or exposure either. It mentions aluminum so it can't be too heavy and it's unclear to me at least if it's 100% aluminum besides the magnets. Also if there is another evolution of this razor, I doubt this one would still be the world's best anymore. It would also be nice to have an option to opt out of the razor stand included that's not even pictured and get it for $20-$25 less.

Top Bottom