What's new

High Proof Half-DE Single Edge Razor

Any tips on getting thinner lather that is still very slick? I just changed my technique to increase slickness, but that makes a thicker lather. Is it just slowly adding more water and agitating less so as not to just foam up? Or is there a better way?

I've seen some people mention they use cremo as a preshave or in their lather? I use cremo all the time by itself and it's pretty darn slick.

Any tips on getting thinner lather that is still very slick? I just changed my technique to increase slickness, but that makes a thicker lather. Is it just slowly adding more water and agitating less so as not to just foam up? Or is there a better way?
I also prefer thinner, slicker lather. I either use Cremo by itself or add it to another cream for additional slickness. Cremo + Speick is probably my favorite. I also sometimes use Stephan Conditioning cream as a "base" for other soaps or creams. It adds slickness and great aftershave feel. These work well for me. YMMV.

I just got mine in today. I bought mine specifically to try on top of my head. So far I haven't found anything I like using better then a Mach3. I haven't shaved the top of the head for 4 days now to give it a challenge I know the Mach3 can handle with ease, no irritation, and no blood letting.
IMG_20230121_145855571.jpg

Cream: Cremo original
Razor/Blade:
Head - High Proof w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - D1 Toggle w/ Astra SP
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Aqua Velva
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20230121_184518447.jpg

10/10 10/10

Neck was irritated all day yesterday. Almost skipped a days shave. But did a quick pass over with the Toggle. Felt good and then switched over to the new High Proof I got in yesterday.

I bought the High Proof specifically for the top of the head and back of my neck. I usually use a Mach3 and past couple of weeks or so I have been using my other razors.

With the Mach3 I am not careful or slow or put any thought into it. I can get through many days of growth. Usually with a few passes. But gets through it with zero irritation. And I do not remember the last time it's ever drawn any blood up top. I can get around the ears fully and quickly. I haven't found anything that checks all of that off.

I did not shave the head for about 4 days to give the High Proof a challenge that I know the Mach3 can handle. I went at my head with the High Proof with the same style and technique as I would the Mach3. The High Proof did not disappoint at all and I was really surprised how well it did.

For not really having much of anything for blade exposure or gap the High Proof easily plowed through the growth. Better then the Mach3 as I'd have to rinse out the blades on the Mach3 mid or sooner on long XTG strokes that I start out with on my sides.

For the first time using the High Proof I was extremely impressed. XTG full of hair no problem. ATG followed with ZERO irritation or weepers. I even messed up the angles here and there getting used to the flatter pivoting head. Which the pivot feels just like there's a spring there.

The only place I did have issues getting to was the very tip of the ear on both sides were a few stragglers and I had to put in some effort figuring out how to get to them with the blade. Really this was the only thing that it didn't do better on the the Mach3 in my first try.

I can definitely recommend very highly the High Proof for head shaving.

Last edited:
I am liking the High Proof so far as well. It does have a positive blade exposure and seems much more efficient than any cartridge I remember. I am getting very close 3-pass shaves.

How are you all handling the pivot? Yesterday I went as light as possible, so light the pivot never engaged. That worked well in general, but in one place on my jawline where the lather was too thin the flat head dragged/skipped and I got a nick. That left me wondering if I should be trying for the lightest possible or if with the High Proof one should have enough pressure so the pivot is engaged and pivoting. What do you do?

I will have to try it on my face next. For the head I didn't feel the blade at all. I didn't give much pressure but maybe a tiny amount and used it like I do the Mach3. Which with the roundness of the head did engage the pivot using long sweeping strokes.

I am liking the High Proof so far as well. It does have a positive blade exposure and seems much more efficient than any cartridge I remember. I am getting very close 3-pass shaves.

How are you all handling the pivot? Yesterday I went as light as possible, so light the pivot never engaged. That worked well in general, but in one place on my jawline where the lather was too thin the flat head dragged/skipped and I got a nick. That left me wondering if I should be trying for the lightest possible or if with the High Proof one should have enough pressure so the pivot is engaged and pivoting. What do you do?

I tried a light touch early on and quickly decided the High Proof definitely requires some pressure.

I think pressure might be required for the High Proof. I did a couple things differently with today's shave and got great results. I held the razor so the blade and bar were off my skin, then applied enough pressure to the back of the head to engage the pivot and put the blade in contact with skin. Then I took longer strokes and let the pivot work. This resulted in a BBS shave with zero nicks/weepers.

These are two things that I have worked hard NOT to do with a DE razor, so I am going to have to make sure I only do this with the High Proof. :) But doing this shows me that the High Proof is a keeper!

Cream: Cremo original
Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck - High Proof w/ Astra SP
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Proraso Green
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20230122_191508969_HDR.jpg

8/10

Honestly, nearly a 10/10 shave. Very impressed by this new razor. I went at my face like I would using the Mach3. I was not careful, not slow, used longer strokes, applied a small amount of pressure, etc.

Ended up with absolutely no irritation and nearly completely smooth. I did get one tiny quick to stop weeper on the neck. Not surprising with how aggressive I was being. But I took a point off for that.

I had one spot I could not get. Right under the nose the very tiny line right up in there. It's not the easiest to hit even with my Mach3. Some razors I have are super easy to hit that spot like my Goodwill. The High Proof is way on the other end of that and I just gave up before I sliced something open and will have to try again another day. Another point off for that.

Take the tiny weeper away and right under the nose difficulty off and it was a 10/10 super smooth shave.

It seems like the High Proof is designed to work pretty much like a cartridge razor. For those who have a Henson I am wondering how they compare, as the Henson seems to have a somewhat similar "usage" goal (easy to use if you're accustomed to a cartridge razor).

So far I like my High Proof and I am also a Henson fan. I didn't shave a lot with a cartridge, I mostly used a rotary electric, but had some experience. There are similarities - both are light and both have a fixed blade angle built into the head. The High Proof has an exposure that is just a hair more than the Henson Medium, for comparison. The pivot is the big difference, of course, which might attract cartridge shavers. With a positive exposure, it feels more aggressive than what I remember from cartridges. The thin Henson head is easier to get under my nose.

Just a few thoughts to share so far.

It seems like the High Proof is designed to work pretty much like a cartridge razor. For those who have a Henson I am wondering how they compare, as the Henson seems to have a somewhat similar "usage" goal (easy to use if you're accustomed to a cartridge razor).

I have both. The High Proof is a little bit like a Henson but not so much that when I use it I think hey this is kinda like a Henson if that makes sense. But yes it is more like a Henson than other "regular" DE razors. Mostly it reminds me of a pivoting cartridge razor but with just one blade.

There is a real difference. You shave with the Henson like a traditional DE razor. Fixed head, light touch, short strokes. The High Proof is much different - pivoting head, add some pressure, longer strokes. All the things that would mess you up with a DE razor are what the High Proof needs.

So in the way you use the razors, the Henson and High Proof are not alike at all.

Interesting...goes to show how much "YMMV" there is in shaving...

When I used the Henson mild, I had to use quite a bit of pressure and at least 3 passes to get something approximating a socially acceptable shave. I wanted a better result and kept going but this led to irritation (unsurprising). Way to inefficient for me. The medium was a little bit more efficient, but not much. (This experience is what led to my assessment that the Henson uses more of a cartridge technique than a DE razor technique.)

I think I am saying closer to what you are than first glance. One might get away with using a tiny bit of pressure for the Henson, especially the Mild, but if you don't use good DE technique you are going to get irritation. I did what you did with the Mild and a dull blade like the RK. But when I moved to the Medium and Aggressive and a very sharp blade, you have to use good DE technique.

The High Proof seems to require long strokes and enough pressure to engage the pivot, which is way more than I would put on any DE. However, it is rewarding me with good shaves! I am excited to hear what more of you think once you shave with yours.

Top Bottom