What's new

Help with forum view

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looking at a couple of online auction sites to how they are set up.
Ebay has a preview photo brief listing details and appears to be user friendly and popular. Slightly different in layout but same principle. Never heard any complaint about it's layout or people saying it will make the buy less from there but have heard other reasons to not buy from there.
I'd drop a picture but I'm sure you gents know it well enough.

There's a local for me auction site here in NZ, Trade Me. It's closer to what is being trialed here. I've used it and never given the layout a thought. I do find it easy to use and the photos in the preview helpful in deciding if I want a closer look at something.

Both seem to be well used and the layout has worked for them.

Fair comment however, the difference for me, on my phone, is that the eBay previews are uniform. Here some post previews are MUCH larger than others.

Looking at a couple of online auction sites to how they are set up.
Ebay has a preview photo brief listing details and appears to be user friendly and popular. Slightly different in layout but same principle. Never heard any complaint about it's layout or people saying it will make the buy less from there but have heard other reasons to not buy from there.
I'd drop a picture but I'm sure you gents know it well enough.

There's a local for me auction site here in NZ, Trade Me. It's closer to what is being trialed here. I've used it and never given the layout a thought. I do find it easy to use and the photos in the preview helpful in deciding if I want a closer look at something.

Both seem to be well used and the layout has worked for them.

Prefer the prior format. Drill down to things that have interest. An image and the heading or a line or two of text in a compact way (to fit 10 or a dozen on a phone screen) might be okay.

Also agree that having to scroll through the three header threads is annoying.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Prefer the prior format. Drill down to things that have interest. An image and the heading or a line or two of text in a compact way (to fit 10 or a dozen on a phone screen) might be okay.

Also agree that having to scroll through the three header threads is annoying.
That's a manifestation of the way "article format" handles sticky threads.
Definitely a drawback. I edited the stickies to at least make the visible portion smaller and less obtrusive.

The other “glitch” I’m noticing is that the OP’s full profile signature is showing and taking up space at the bottom of the listing. So for example I was just looking at a listing for an item who’s seller has a whole bunch of their shave den items listed in their profile sig, so it’s creating a huge chunk of additional text that you have to scroll past to get to any follow-up posts.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The other “glitch” I’m noticing is that the OP’s full profile signature is showing and taking up space at the bottom of the listing. So for example I was just looking at a listing for an item who’s seller has a whole bunch of their shave den items listed in their profile sig, so it’s creating a huge chunk of additional text that you have to scroll past to get to any follow-up posts.
Thanks. These kinds of specific points are helpful.
If they can be fixed, it will help the situation.
If they can't be fixed, that's a check mark in the other column.

I'll chime in and say I liked the old layout better, especially on mobile, for all the reasons that others have mentioned. I haven't had a chance to look at it on desktop.

Without knowing what's involved from a coding perspective, one site I am on a lot has an option to toggle between list view and article preview on their main page in the mobile browser. Screenshots below:
Screenshot_20221002-171934_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-172013_Chrome.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'll chime in and say I liked the old layout better, especially on mobile, for all the reasons that others have mentioned. I haven't had a chance to look at it on desktop.

Without knowing what's involved from a coding perspective, one site I am on a lot has an option to toggle between list view and article preview on their main page in the mobile browser. Screenshots below:
View attachment 1532461
View attachment 1532462
Thanks! Looking at possible options.

That's a manifestation of the way "article format" handles sticky threads.
Definitely a drawback. I edited the stickies to at least make the visible portion smaller and less obtrusive.

Adding that it’s a great to try new things. They can’t all be winners and some of them will be winners. Or will get changed and refined until they are. Test and learn. I support the idea and the effort the mod team puts into this and many many other things.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Adding that it’s a great to try new things. They can’t all be winners and some of them will be winners. Or will get changed and refined until they are. Test and learn. I support the idea and the effort the mod team puts into this and many many other things.
We've shifted to the traditional forum view in the Thread Index, while leaving the threads themselves in article format.
Not sure that makes any sense, so we'll look at this and try to continue to work towards what works well, is innovative, and improves the experience.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'll say in conclusion here that reasoned responses are helpful, whether they are pro or con on a subject.
Just repeatedly posting I hate it doesn't move us downline.
Thanks for all your responses, it's appreciated.

We've shifted to the traditional forum view in the Thread Index, while leaving the threads themselves in article format.
Not sure that makes any sense, so we'll look at this and try to continue to work towards what works well, is innovative, and improves the experience.

I think this is a good compromise between the two. There's still a little bit of jankiness with the article view, to my eyes, such as the aforementioned massive signature about field*, but that is something that can be refined.

*EDIT: I checked, and it's the About section of the user profile that's shared at the bottom of the article, not the signature.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
With the Article format the about section is standard as that is the author of the article. So the About section is a sort of “about the author”. For the BST some might find it useful to know just how long someone has been a member and how many posts they have before doing business with them.

With the Article format the about section is standard as that is the author of the article. So the About section is a sort of “about the author”. For the BST some might find it useful to know just how long someone has been a member and how many posts they have before doing business with them.

Join date and post history numbers make sense for that, yeah. The self-written bio entry can be less directly useful, hehe. Is it possible to set a maximum size for displaying that section? That would help in cases where someone has an About section than their post is.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Join date and post history numbers make sense for that, yeah. The self-written bio entry can be less directly useful, hehe. Is it possible to set a maximum size for displaying that section? That would help in cases where someone has an About section than their post is.
Nope.

Top Bottom