What's new

Help me find a new shampoo bar.

Grandpa's Pine Tar works well on my hair/beard, without being too drying or leaving an oily feeling. Seems to work wonders on my skin in the dry winter months, too. Even with a buzzed head (#2/3 guard used), I find that I need to rinse/repeat, though.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Been trying Beauty and the Bees Grass Roots. SLS free, lathers like a beast, and my scalp loves it! Downside is the price and I only get about 2 1/2" weeks out of a bar but I may be over doing it...

I have been using CV Neem and tea tree shampoo bar. Excellent at keeping dandruff away. I have been using this almost three years and no dandruff issues. It is a bit pricey but worth it.

Have been using the Breakaway Bar from Mad Men's Grooming for a couple of years now after a few years of using the Woody's Shampoo bar. Really like both of them, but the Made product is simply awesome. Marketed as a Multipurpose bar that can be used as shampoo, body soap, and shaving. Plenty of cushion by not a ton of glide...not that it matters a ton for a quick shower shave. Also conentiet is that it comes as a big block that can be broken apart into 5 bars (3 shower size and 2 travel size).

I travel with Shea Moisture Utility bad.
Love the scent, and it's a shampoo/ shave bar.
When traveling, it lightens the load to one soap.

DP

I started using shampoo bars from Apple Valley Natural Soap a couple years ago.

They have lots of different varieties, including several for men. (Just like the others, except for the fragrance). Their website is applevalleynaturalsoap.com. Sometimes they have specials; such as pay for 5 bars, get one free; or buy 12, get 14 bars.

I only use these on my hair; but my wife uses them on her body too.

I hope this helps.

I've used Chagrin Valley and Mike's. I prefer Mike's, but as you said it can be hard to get them. I generally buy 4 at a time, and when I start using my last one I start checking Mike's and buy another 4 when a new batch is released.

Chagrin Valley has a lot of different types and I haven't used all of them, so I can't say I've compared them all.

I travel with Shea Moisture Utility bad.
Love the scent, and it's a shampoo/ shave bar.
When traveling, it lightens the load to one soap.

DP
That was the bar that set me to converting to shampoo bars instead of liquid store bought stuff. Sadly for me, the local places that used to carry it on the shelves have stopped now. :(

Mike, while it is much too early to make a solid opinion of it, I used Phoenix Artisan shampoo bar this morning and was well impressed with its easy lathering, and no seeming dryness or itchy scalp after the dry down.

The cake is round and fairly soft but not so much it would mush up in your hand unless you squeezed it. Very dense and creamy feeling in the hand, I suspect this would be easy to over use. I lathered much more lightly on the second pass over the scalp and still had enough lather to feel like I was wasting some of it. Rinsed out very easy and. As noted, no itch or tightness. This was their new Alt Eleven scent and was pretty nice. Like you I have been using Queen Charlotte exclusively and was hard pressed to find a suitable replacement. Matthew ' s dark lavender was a favourite.
I use PAA Sandalwood and really enjoy it. I concur with the positive experience of Todd.
Steve

That was the bar that set me to converting to shampoo bars instead of liquid store bought stuff. Sadly for me, the local places that used to carry it on the shelves have stopped now. :(
Get it at Target online.
Five years ago I bought it for my honey moon trip to Italy (Europe). I only use it when I travel On vacation.
The scent reminds me of great times and vacation.

Good stuff

I started using shampoo bars from Apple Valley Natural Soap a couple years ago.

They have lots of different varieties, including several for men. (Just like the others, except for the fragrance). Their website is applevalleynaturalsoap.com. Sometimes they have specials; such as pay for 5 bars, get one free; or buy 12, get 14 bars.

I only use these on my hair; but my wife uses them on her body too.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for letting me know about Apple Valley - it's a local company for me. Just ordered some samples from them. Always like to support small businesses in my area, so I hope I like them.

I plan on mixing shikakai, amla and neem to create my own but this is a good convenience bar.

Attachments

• GODREJ-SHIKAKAI-SOAP-75GM-12491_1.jpg
    GODREJ-SHIKAKAI-SOAP-75GM-12491_1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 9
No problem! I hope you like them! I think they are kinda nice.
Since this popped up, I figured I'd follow up. The Apple Valley shampoo bars were meh. Didn't think much of either the scents or the shampoo. Not that they were horrible, but I like others more.

Another brand that is available at my (Minnesota) Whole Foods is Sunleaf Naturals. I don't know whether they're available by mail order or not, but I think that they and Chagrin Valley are what I'll be using for the time being. I like the SN CedarMint and Olibanum Spruce the best.

I plan on mixing shikakai, amla and neem to create my own but this is a good convenience bar.
I'm curious on this one.. I just saw on Amazon Prime you can get a dozen bars for $24 shipped. That's sort of crazy inexpensive, if the product is any good.

I just finished using up a shampoo bar of Liggetts Tea Tree/Hemp. It was ok, but I still prefer a Grandpa bar. Whether it's a Liggetts bar, Grandpa bar or H&S Clinical Strength shampoo, a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse (I prefer an ACV with Mother) seems to be more important to my dandruff control than the shampoo.

Top Bottom