What's new

Gillette New Short Comb question

I have two New Short Comb razors. One that I found locally, with a common bar handle, the other (generously gifted to me) with a Tech handle.

I thought I might be able to find an original handle to replace the Tech handle, and went to Mr. Razor to determine which handle would be correct...ball-end, common bar, either?

I didn't see a Short Comb with a ball-end handle at Mr. Razor, but when I tried my common bar handle on the razor with the Tech handle (still with me?), it didn't fit into the cut-out on the bottom of the base plate.

So, my question to the experts:

Was the Short Comb available with either the ball-end handle or the common bar handle?...and if so, why won't my common bar handle fit only one of my Short Comb razor heads?...were the base plates different?

Make sense?

Last edited:
I took a look at my open combs.

My short comb has a bar handle
and the bottle neck at the top of the handle
is smaller than the one at the top of the bar handle for my Goodwill 160.

I found that the ball handles don't all have the same size bottle neck also.

The space milled into the bottom of the base plate for my short comb
is smaller than the one on my long comb.

The ball handle from my pre war tech also fit my short comb.

It seems that regardless of bar or ball,
it's the bottle neck at the top of the handle which matters.

Last edited:
A small nylon washer will allow you to fit the larger handle and has the benefit of keeping the handle more securely screwed on. I've noticed with my New SC the handle sometimes likes to get loose while shaving.

I took a look at my open combs.

My short comb has a bar handle
and the bottle neck at the top of the handle
is smaller than the one at the top of the bar handle for my Goodwill 160.

I found that the ball handles don't all have the same size bottle neck also.

The space milled into the bottom of the base plate for my short comb
is smaller than the one on my long comb.

The ball handle from my pre war tech also fit my short comb.

It seems that regardless of bar or ball,
it's the bottle neck at the top of the handle which matters.

Thanks for checking your razors. 🙂

I know for certain that the short comb was sold with bar handles, though I can't seem to find any info on whether they were ever sold with ball handles.

The milling on my two short comb base plates is different - one is smaller - so my assumption is that they must have made bar handles with different neck diameters to fit different base plates.

A small nylon washer will allow you to fit the larger handle and has the benefit of keeping the handle more securely screwed on. I've noticed with my New SC the handle sometimes likes to get loose while shaving.

I have another bit of info that I didn't include in my original post:

I found a spare bar handle on the 'bay, and it arrived yesterday. It fit one of my short comb base plates, but the plate I wanted to use it with was not machined wide enough to screw the handle down completely so I carefully ground the neck of the handle and sanded it smooth and polished it.

It fit, and looked great, so I re-plated the entire razor in nickel. It's a "Franken-razor" but it came out ok, and works.

So, yesterday evening, I turned this:

20231010_091044.jpg

...into this:

20231010_090403.jpg
20231010_090434.jpg

The milling on my two short comb base plates is different - one is smaller - so my assumption is that they must have made bar handles with different neck diameters to fit different base plates.
That's my understanding. I most likely read it here, but couldn't find it. My SC NEW came with a bar handle that fit.

I know for certain that the short comb was sold with bar handles, though I can't seem to find any info on whether they were ever sold with ball handles.

I found a spare bar handle on the 'bay, and it arrived yesterday. It fit one of my short comb base plates, but the plate I wanted to use it with was not machined wide enough to screw the handle down completely so I carefully ground the neck of the handle and sanded it smooth and polished it.

It fit, and looked great, so I re-plated the entire razor in nickel. It's a "Franken-razor" but it came out ok, and works.

View attachment 1730645

...into this:

View attachment 1730647View attachment 1730650
Nice work! That looks great.

View attachment 1730645

...into this:

View attachment 1730647View attachment 1730650

If I recall correctly, someone, at sometime, somewhere on B&B,
mentioned that there seem to be two varieties of New Short Comb,
one shaving closer than the other.

The one that I have, shaves the least close of all my razors.

Just checked the 2 new SCs I own both have the narrow cut and bar handles. My new LC has a bar handle but has the large cut and this handle doesn't fit on the SCs. Standard nylon washers are to big to be used on the SCs, so I haven't used them. Pulled out a few different old type ball end handles and one fit and 1 was too large, they look the similar.

SC with a standard 10mm washer, SC bar that fits, balls end fits, and ball end that doesn't. Measured the milled hole for the handled and it's 8.8mm on this baseplate.
20231010_202348.jpg

Just checked the 2 new SCs I own both have the narrow cut and bar handles. My new LC has a bar handle but has the large cut and this handle doesn't fit on the SCs. Standard nylon washers are to big to be used on the SCs, so I haven't used them. Pulled out a few different old type ball end handles and one fit and 1 was too large, they look the similar.

SC with a standard 10mm washer, SC bar that fits, balls end fits, and ball end that doesn't. Measured the milled hole for the handled and it's 8.8mm on this baseplate.
View attachment 1730913

My head is spinning. 😄

One thing seems near certain from your info (if I'm reading and interpreting correctly) is that the bar handles used for the LC have a larger diameter at the end of the ferrule and won't fit a SC base plate.

So, it appears that the bar handle I purchased was from a LC, and therefore wouldn't fit my SC.

Messing with my 3 SCs.

Two are 25/64" at the top of the handle.
The third is 21/64".

Base plate aperture/flats are milled to closely match.

That's a whole 1/16".

My head is spinning. 😄

One thing seems near certain from your info (if I'm reading and interpreting correctly) is that the bar handles used for the LC have a larger diameter at the end of the ferrule and won't fit a SC base plate.

So, it appears that the bar handle I purchased was from a LC, and therefore wouldn't fit my SC.
Yes, you interpreted my incoherent thoughts perfectly!

I noticed this when trying to use a washer on my SC and it wouldn't fit. Also checked the RR thick bar won't fit the SC but the RR thin bar replica will, just to make it a tad more confusing.

LC on left, patterns on handle slightly different. Not sure if that made any difference.

20231010_232326.jpg

Dear gents in this thread,

I have been looking for a Giellette OC for a long awhile.
However, beacuse there are so many variants (such as old/new and SC/LC), I almost abadon it.
Could you please recommend me a efficient Gillette OC razor?
I love the efficiency of ATT R2/RR GC84 Jaws very much, even though the former one seems a bit harsh.
Thank you all.

lasta

Blade Biter
Dear gents in this thread,

I have been looking for a Giellette OC for a long awhile.
However, beacuse there are so many variants (such as old/new and SC/LC), I almost abadon it.
Could you please recommend me a efficient Gillette OC razor?
I love the efficiency of ATT R2/RR GC84 Jaws very much, even though the former one seems a bit harsh.
Thank you all.
New Improved and Old Types are amongst Gillette's most aggressive, but even they are only medium+ on the modern scale.

New Deluxe is worth looking into as well if you come across it.

If I recall correctly, someone, at sometime, somewhere on B&B,
mentioned that there seem to be two varieties of New Short Comb,
one shaving closer than the other.

The one that I have, shaves the least close of all my razors.
Indeed. I only have one Short Comb and it is the one with the negative exposure. BBS is impossible with my whiskers.

Top Bottom