What's new

Help me find a new shampoo bar.

For the past several years, I've used Queen Charlotte Soaps shampoo bars every day. Once I tried it, I never went back to traditional shampoos. I have about half a dozen bars left, but figured I'd stock up today. Although their web site remains up, when I went to check out, I was stopped by a message saying they are out of business.

Now, I have to find something to replace it. I've heard good things about Mike's, but everything I've read says it is rarely available. I went to their site, and all of their shampoo bars are out of stock. If anyone has found a top-notch shampoo bar, let me know what it is and where to find it.

Mike, while it is much too early to make a solid opinion of it, I used Phoenix Artisan shampoo bar this morning and was well impressed with its easy lathering, and no seeming dryness or itchy scalp after the dry down.

The cake is round and fairly soft but not so much it would mush up in your hand unless you squeezed it. Very dense and creamy feeling in the hand, I suspect this would be easy to over use. I lathered much more lightly on the second pass over the scalp and still had enough lather to feel like I was wasting some of it. Rinsed out very easy and. As noted, no itch or tightness. This was their new Alt Eleven scent and was pretty nice. Like you I have been using Queen Charlotte exclusively and was hard pressed to find a suitable replacement. Matthew ' s dark lavender was a favourite.

Three possible sources:

Wet shaving products

Mystic Waters

I used MW but decided to stop using it for reasons I don't remember. Don' take that as a negative as it was 3-4 years ago.

I am currently using a Dr Bronners bar as a shampoo and so far so good. It is the unscented "baby" bar but it seems ok so far. Considering that you can get a bar for <$3, you don't lose much.

I believe Mickey Lee makes them as well, though I have not tried them.

Mike, while it is much too early to make a solid opinion of it, I used Phoenix Artisan shampoo bar this morning and was well impressed with its easy lathering, and no seeming dryness or itchy scalp after the dry down.

The cake is round and fairly soft but not so much it would mush up in your hand unless you squeezed it. Very dense and creamy feeling in the hand, I suspect this would be easy to over use. I lathered much more lightly on the second pass over the scalp and still had enough lather to feel like I was wasting some of it. Rinsed out very easy and. As noted, no itch or tightness. This was their new Alt Eleven scent and was pretty nice. Like you I have been using Queen Charlotte exclusively and was hard pressed to find a suitable replacement. Matthew ' s dark lavender was a favourite.

Three possible sources:

Wet shaving products

Mystic Waters

I used MW but decided to stop using it for reasons I don't remember. Don' take that as a negative as it was 3-4 years ago.

I am currently using a Dr Bronners bar as a shampoo and so far so good. It is the unscented "baby" bar but it seems ok so far. Considering that you can get a bar for <$3, you don't lose much.

Thanks, guys. I tried MW several years ago, but preferred QCS. I'll keep PAA in mind, although I think I'd prefer a harder soap.

I currently use Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. I've used Mystic Waters in the past, and Mike's. MW is good, but I find CV to be a bit better. Mike's, as you've noted, is so rarely available it's almost not even worth the effort to try it.

I've used CV in the past but for several years I've been using bars of Grandpa's Pine Tar soap for shower and shampoo.

My favorite - with everything else nowhere even in view - are the ones from PAA. I have oily hair but have a very flaky scalp. I'm very sensitive to a lot of things. These bars don't leave my hair an oily mess and they don't irritate my scalp. Favorite shampoo ever.

I currently use Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. I've used Mystic Waters in the past, and Mike's. MW is good, but I find CV to be a bit better. Mike's, as you've noted, is so rarely available it's almost not even worth the effort to try it.

This. I've been using CVf for a couple of years and it is the best of several I have tried. Really like the Extra Honey Beer.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I use Grandpa's old fashioned Pine Tar soap for hair and body. rinse and use apple cider vinegar mixed with water as a cream rinse. Towl dry and massage 3 drops of beard oil into my scalp before combing.

Soft, shiny and flake free.

My favorite - with everything else nowhere even in view - are the ones from PAA. I have oily hair but have a very flaky scalp. I'm very sensitive to a lot of things. These bars don't leave my hair an oily mess and they don't irritate my scalp. Favorite shampoo ever.

I've only used mine for a week or so but am quickly coming to the same conclusion. I was sure something as strongly scented as the Alt Eleven would have some residual issues with irritation or just being overwhelming as a hair scent. Happily this was not the case. I like the entire experience using this shampoo bar. I don't even feel like I need a vinegar rinse with this one. I just wish they had it in an unscented version or something really mild like lavender. Great stuff.

Thanks, guys. I tried MW several years ago, but preferred QCS. I'll keep PAA in mind, although I think I'd prefer a harder soap.

I was going to sayMW also, that's what I am using right now. But I guess you were less than impressed. I hope you find your shampoo bar.

I've only used mine for a week or so but am quickly coming to the same conclusion. I was sure something as strongly scented as the Alt Eleven would have some residual issues with irritation or just being overwhelming as a hair scent. Happily this was not the case. I like the entire experience using this shampoo bar. I don't even feel like I need a vinegar rinse with this one. I just wish they had it in an unscented version or something really mild like lavender. Great stuff.

The Lime Ginger Tea Tree is very lightly scented. It's gone as soon as you rinse. It smells clean.

I actually fell into using the Lush Cosmetics shampoo bars, and have great luck with them. Yeah, a bar is pricey vs other ones you can find, but a bar lasts me a good 4 months or so. They lather darned effectively, so a little goes a long way.

I am also tempted to pick up and try JR Liggetts shampoo bars at some point, since they seem to be an old school formula shampoo bar.

I actually fell into using the Lush Cosmetics shampoo bars, and have great luck with them. Yeah, a bar is pricey vs other ones you can find, but a bar lasts me a good 4 months or so. They lather darned effectively, so a little goes a long way.

I am also tempted to pick up and try JR Liggetts shampoo bars at some point, since they seem to be an old school formula shampoo bar.

The problem with the Lush soap, in addition to price, is that they contain SLSs, the avoidance of which is the reason why many users have switched to shampoo bars in the first place...

The problem with the Lush soap, in addition to price, is that they contain SLSs, the avoidance of which is the reason why many users have switched to shampoo bars in the first place...

The debate seems to rage on as to if SLS in a shampoo bar has nearly (or any) of the same effect as they do in liquid shampoos. If your goal was to avoid that ingredient, Lush bars are definitely out of the running. :(

Dustin, back when I started looking at shampoo bars Liggetts was one of the first that came up. In fact, other than Chagrin farms and a couple of others it was the most recommended. It was okay but not for me. Now, saying that I have come to the conclusion that hair products are more YMMV than even aftershaves. And I thought finding one of them that was perfect for my skin was the Holy Grail. Hair soap and dressings are even more finicky. In other words, try the Liggetts. It may be your best ever.

Similar situation to the OP. Used QCS shampoo bar for a long time, successfully eliminating my itchy scalp problem. And now it is gone! Tried Chagrin Valley when I decided to switch to the bar, but preferred QCS. Now am looking at CV again, considering Liggett's from what I read here, and wondering if there are others I ought to try.

Top Bottom