What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

Head shave 111/366
First ever use of an Israeli blade. DFS+ with no irritation.
Thursday April 18, 2024
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Brush: Simpson X3
Lather: TOBS Sandalwood
Razor: Henson +
Blade: Crystal Israeli (1)

IMG_6818.jpg

Thursday, April 18, 2024

Hardware
RazorKarve Overlander (AL)
BladeGillette Silver Blue [5]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
PrePAA Cube
LatherVitos Extra Super Coco (Kilo) [7]
PostLustray Blue Spice

Rating
8 / 10

Notes
Vitos plus Blue Spice makes for a very nice start to the night.

20240418_190821.jpg

Razor: Gem Junior lather catcher
Blade: Gem Personna SS Coated blade
Brush: Vintage Eveready 200 Boar
Soap: Vintage Colgate Cup Soap
After: Vintage Avon Artic King
Notes: A very nice lather catcher head shave! 3 days growth on the Dome, no cuts almost BBs at a 8.5 out of 10. No irritation. The Vintage Colgate performed awesome! This is the fourth head shave I've had with this lather catcher without one Nick or cut.

Couple of updates.

I shaved last Sunday using my Henson mild and a Perma-Sharp blade. Due to another post I tried out a new shaving cream, Geo F Trumper almond shaving cream. All I can say about that shaving cream is that it is absolutely amazing. It’s easily my favorite over Proraso and TOBS now. Very quick to build up a great lather that is super slick. If I could use only one brand of shaving cream this is it for sure.

Now back to the rest of that shave….it was terrible. I think it was a mistake shaving on last Saturday after using the Henson +++ for the first time that Thursday night. It was just too much for my scalp. I need to stay away from the aggressive version unless I plan on giving it a few days in between.

Tonight’s shave was with the Henson + and a fresh Feather blade. It was a wonderful and comfortable shave. I really like a super sharp blade with the Henson…it just mows through 5 days of growth like it’s nothing. So smooth and comfortable. Achieved BBS with very little effort. Two passes (XTG and ATG) and some minor cleanup and I was good to go.

I think my next shave on Sunday will be with my Henson ++. I think I’m going to experiment with it and different blades, for fun.

Saturday, April 20, 2024

Hardware
RazorRazoRock Game Changer 0.68P
BladeGillette Silver Blue [8]
BrushSemogue Torga C5 Boar

Software
PrePAA Cube
LatherCella Red [12]
PostLustray Spice

Rating
7 / 10

Notes
Cella makes for a very nice morning. I’ve got more soap than I know what to do with, but once I trim down the stash I think I see a kilo of Cella in my future, to complement my kilo of Vitos.

Lots of post about TOBS Sandalwood not being "true sandalwood"...I don't care, it is my favorite Sandalwood, and one of my top scents. It's nice. 🙂
Same here! The scent of the soap is so good and in my opinion the scent of the aftershave takes it to even higher levels. I'm heading out for the evening but before I do I will be shaving and TOBS Sandalwoods will figure prominently. :)

This afternoon’s shave was using my Henson ++ and a fresh Bic Chrome Platinum and all I can say is….my oh my! What a great shave. Easily my best shave so far with any of my Henson razors.

It was soooo smooth and comfortable. I couldn’t believe how nice that shave was. Another thread here got me thinking about the Bic CP blade again and since I decided the other night that I was going to use my ++ again I figured I might as well try it out.

I haven’t liked this blade in any razor I’ve tried so far, so I was expecting more of the same. In the Henson + it was comfortable but it just didn’t get nearly close enough and required a ton of blade buffing which ended up causing some irritation. I think the combo was just too mild.

I had none of that today. I think I’m going to roll with this combination for my next few shaves and see how it goes.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
This afternoon’s shave was using my Henson ++ and a fresh Bic Chrome Platinum and all I can say is….my oh my! What a great shave. Easily my best shave so far with any of my Henson razors.

It was soooo smooth and comfortable. I couldn’t believe how nice that shave was. Another thread here got me thinking about the Bic CP blade again and since I decided the other night that I was going to use my ++ again I figured I might as well try it out.

I haven’t liked this blade in any razor I’ve tried so far, so I was expecting more of the same. In the Henson + it was comfortable but it just didn’t get nearly close enough and required a ton of blade buffing which ended up causing some irritation. I think the combo was just too mild.

I had none of that today. I think I’m going to roll with this combination for my next few shaves and see how it goes.
Very happy to hear that, sir. :thumbsup:

@1e4 passed along to me a Yates Winning v2 and also included a Stirling soap which I look forward to using soon, thank you. This shave was with Tabac soap and a new GSB blade, since I know how both perform for me.

Compared to my Henson + the Yates feels more aggressive and efficient. The shave angle was easy to find and after the first pass the closeness felt similar to what it does after two passes with the Henson.

Final results were a subpar shave and not on the comfort level of the Henson. Where the Henson glides smoothly over the skin, the Yates felt like it is plowing. And yes, I used only enough pressure to keep the blade in contact with the skin.

I could tell my scalp wasn’t happy so I skipped the aftershave and applied some Thayers witch hazel.

As the saying goes, life is too short for bad shaves so I will pass it on to anyone who wants to give it a try.
looking to upgrade my king c after face shaving with it for 6 months. would appreciate giving Yates a try. may have to start head shaving soon

Top Bottom