BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Cherry)

Software
PreStirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherCella Bio [13]
PostPinaud Eau de Portugal

Rating
9 / 10

Notes
Based on this first shave, the Overlander may not be quite as easy or efficient at head shaving as the Henson +, but it does seem to be a sight more comfortable. After I finish with this Astra SP I guess I’ll try the Overlander with one of my more favored blades for a couple weeks, see if it might challenge the Henson long term.

It was the female end of where you screw the head back together after putting in the blades. Not sure if that makes sense but basically the threaded part just gave up when I was tightening it to get ready for a shave.

I didn’t bother with trying to get them to warranty it or anything. I needed to shave the next day so I ordered another one on Amazon so it would get there in time.

And that’s also when I decided to go down the rabbit hole of trying different razors to find the one for me.

As far as the Henson goes…I have all three aggression levels and they are all amazing razors. Even the mild can easily achieve a BBS shave. The aggressive version can be quite spicy but it gets BBS pretty quickly.
Thanks for responding. I'll check out the Henson.

Blessings...

Sunday April 14

Blade - Single Use Feather
Razor - Lupo OC95 driven with a Chiseled Face Pineapple Twist Titanium Handle
Brush - Zenith Boar B35-31x57mm
Soap - SV-Franken - Three combined soaps Felce Aromatica, Tundra Artica, Cosmo

IMG_0494.jpeg

Last month in a half I’ve gotten back to my weekly shaves. Prior to that, from last November I was using the electric with shave intervals anywhere from four to eleven days. I believe shavers with regular shave intervals accomplish best comfort and skin health. ATG single pass shaves continue in efficiency refinement. Enjoying my locked four. Simplicity of the four and single pass shaves have enhanced my skin comfort. Shave enjoyment continues.

I’ve never cared for razors that required me to change my shave style to adapt to their efficiencies. My long run with the Fatip Grande was because it suited my shave style perfectly. My change to the Lupo was possible because the physical dimensions and weight mirrored the Grande’s. A custom handle change required to close the deal. Increased efficiency was the driver for the change. Improved styling, lower head profile also appreciated. I certainly don’t miss fiddling with blade alignment on nine out of ten blade changes. I thought I would just carry on with improved efficiency.

Lupo’s efficiency has driven me to change my shave stroke. Moving away from my quick short triple stroke. Too a hybrid buffing stroke. One quick stroke, backslide and quick forward stroke. Basically a buffing stroke that I have used from my beginnings with DE shaving. Only now I use it exclusively for my full face and head shave. It was very natural and easy for the head shaves because of my choked grip on the handle just under the razor head. The last two face shaves I’ve adapted to that same grip. Over my shave journey I would always think an improvement would be my last. My close shaves are usually 24-36 hrs before full whisker growth is established. I believe I’ve moved it up to 36-48 now. This week’s face shave was my first complete shave with the hybrid stroke. There was a slight warmth on my neck areas with the alum, but no irritation. Great skin comfort was enjoyed with post shave elixirs.

I won’t make any bold efficiency statements about the Lupo. I know better. My journey with the wolf has indeed been short. I do know I love this wolf and believe there are still dark secrets to discover.

IMG_0504.jpeg

Happy Shaves

Henson +
Bic Astor
Parker badger
Tabac
Bartigan and Stark Nil

It’s been a long time since I used this blade for a head shave, but it was on the harsh side last time in a Karve. So I loaded it up in a Henson and wow it was perfect. No harshness at all while it glides it way along, scooping up the hairs as it goes.

IMG_3824.jpeg

Sunday April 14

Blade - Single Use Feather
Razor - Lupo OC95 driven with a Chiseled Face Pineapple Twist Titanium Handle
Brush - Zenith Boar B35-31x57mm
Soap - SV-Franken - Three combined soaps Felce Aromatica, Tundra Artica, Cosmo

IMG_0494.jpeg

Last month in a half I’ve gotten back to my weekly shaves. Prior to that, from last November I was using the electric with shave intervals anywhere from four to eleven days. I believe shavers with regular shave intervals accomplish best comfort and skin health. ATG single pass shaves continue in efficiency refinement. Enjoying my locked four. Simplicity of the four and single pass shaves have enhanced my skin comfort. Shave enjoyment continues.

I’ve never cared for razors that required me to change my shave style to adapt to their efficiencies. My long run with the Fatip Grande was because it suited my shave style perfectly. My change to the Lupo was possible because the physical dimensions and weight mirrored the Grande’s. A custom handle change required to close the deal. Increased efficiency was the driver for the change. Improved styling, lower head profile also appreciated. I certainly don’t miss fiddling with blade alignment on nine out of ten blade changes. I thought I would just carry on with improved efficiency.

Lupo’s efficiency has driven me to change my shave stroke. Moving away from my quick short triple stroke. Too a hybrid buffing stroke. One quick stroke, backslide and quick forward stroke. Basically a buffing stroke that I have used from my beginnings with DE shaving. Only now I use it exclusively for my full face and head shave. It was very natural and easy for the head shaves because of my choked grip on the handle just under the razor head. The last two face shaves I’ve adapted to that same grip. Over my shave journey I would always think an improvement would be my last. My close shaves are usually 24-36 hrs before full whisker growth is established. I believe I’ve moved it up to 36-48 now. This week’s face shave was my first complete shave with the hybrid stroke. There was a slight warmth on my neck areas with the alum, but no irritation. Great skin comfort was enjoyed with post shave elixirs.

I won’t make any bold efficiency statements about the Lupo. I know better. My journey with the wolf has indeed been short. I do know I love this wolf and believe there are still dark secrets to discover.

IMG_0504.jpeg

Happy Shaves

A follow up on Sunday’s shave. Twenty four hour whiskers just broken through skin. Buffing stroke used for complete face and head shave very successful. First shave where both face and head whiskers are at the same length post shave. Uniform whisker growth. Strong argument for consistency in stroke and shave plan. The second backstroke of the triple buffing stroke re-applies lather ensuring good lubrication and skin protection. Only an open comb can do this. My standard triple stroke does not have that re-lather application. My concern for skin irritation especially after alum warmth felt on neck, unwarranted. Post shave skin nourishment delivered elevated skin comfort. Definitely more blade feel with a buffing stroke. Soft touch is critical. Looking forward to next Sundays shave. Exploring new techniques exciting. Expanding efficiency and comfort rewarding.

Henson Medium with second use of the Dorco Prime.

ToBS Eton Cream.. OMG how much I love the scent and the cream performance is amazing; with help from the Thater Badger Brush. Finished with PdP Bergamot & Thyme Balm.

I know I said I chase DFS during the week, but with the Medium it’s so easy to get BBS instead!

11/10 👍🏻

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Hardware
RazorKarve Overlander (AL)
BladeGillette Silver Blue (2)
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
PrePAA Cube
LatherArko [3]
PostClubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum

Rating
7 / 10

Notes
Second try with the Overlander. Again, a fine result that required a bit more work than expected to achieve. The razor clicked immediately for face shaves, but something about the angle doesn't feel quite as intuitive for the head. I'm sure it's just a matter of use, it'll get there.

IMG_1143.jpeg

#14 in 2024 GRUYERE shave sebaticle - Still in

#31 GRUME April 2024 - Still in

Date: 04.16.24

Days growth: 4

Head and face shave

Razor: Gillette Superspeed

Blade: Astra Superior platinum (3)

Brush: Omega Pro 48 boar

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Johnson and Johnson on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: ARKO stick

Passes: 2 WTG ATG plus touchups

Post Shave Routine and products:

1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2

2 - Cold rinse

3 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1

4 - Aftershave: 4711 splash

5 - Balm: 3in1

Notes: This evening’s shave was very enjoyable. I have not used ARKO in a while and I always underestimate its performance and how much I enjoy the scent. The 4711 complimented it perfectly. I did get one pretty good nick right under my nostril, pretty painful. Outside of that, it was a close comfortable shave.

Quality: 9

Comfort: 8

Enjoyment: 9

Overall: 8.6

Top Bottom