What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

Glad you found what works for you! [emoji106]

The lady Gillette is a non-adjustable and about a 3 on an adjustable and has a long handle if that's what you like about the adjustable. The lady Gillette has the same head as the black handle Superspeed if you want an equivalent.

View attachment 719462

I think it's the adjustable that's floating my boat. If I'm having trouble in a spot, crank it down and keep shaving

I've been head shaving for a couple years now. Started with a Mach whatever it was, but found the Headblade shortly after I started. I must admit that I liked the head blade. I tried using my EJ89 once. ONCE. So many weepers and one spot that was worse than the others. Went back to the head blade.
Recently, however, I picked up a long handle Black Beauty and decided to give it a try... Woo Hoo! That thing is the best! Cranked it down to 3 and set to work. Not a single weeper. Barely even any sting from the alum block! I'll never go back to that overpriced two wheeler again.
My advice - Get an adjustable and crank it down to the low side. Much more forgiving than I ever expected!

Welcome to the chrome dome section of the Forum!

Glad you found what works for you. :thumbup1:

How do you compare to the earlier diamond pressed black handle SS?
I don't think I find as much of a difference in Super Speed heads as you do, just really like collecting all the different variations. But, IMHO it can hold it's own against any other Super Speed. I do plan to do some side by side comparisons sometime, but it will have to wait at least until after Fatboy February.

I don't think I find as much of a difference in Super Speed heads as you do, just really like collecting all the different variations. But, IMHO it can hold it's own against any other Super Speed. I do plan to do some side by side comparisons sometime, but it will have to wait at least until after Fatboy February.
I haven't meet a SS that I didn't like, just a few that I like more.

I've been experimenting with my mild razors on my head recently. They don't work at all on the face, but if I load them with a Feather, I can ALMOST, but not quite, get a DFS. I've been trying to find some reasons to thin the den a bit. I think I may need to let the DE89 and the NEW LC go. Neither works well on my face (1-2 passes, both WTG), and they don't quite do the job on the dome.

I've been experimenting with my mild razors on my head recently. They don't work at all on the face, but if I load them with a Feather, I can ALMOST, but not quite, get a DFS. I've been trying to find some reasons to thin the den a bit. I think I may need to let the DE89 and the NEW LC go. Neither works well on my face (1-2 passes, both WTG), and they don't quite do the job on the dome.
If I only shaved WTG, I would probably use razors with more blade exposure. ATG is key with mild razors, such as super speeds and the Postwar Tech.

When I first started shaving my head, ATG didn't work. I only shaved WTG for a while. One day I tried ATG again and all is good, never looked back.

The only razors I will shave my head with is super speeds or my Aristocrat, which is a super speed with a different handle.

If I only shaved WTG, I would probably use razors with more blade exposure. ATG is key with mild razors, such as super speeds and the Postwar Tech.

When I first started shaving my head, ATG didn't work. I only shaved WTG for a while. One day I tried ATG again and all is good, never looked back.

The only razors I will shave my head with is super speeds or my Aristocrat, which is a super speed with a different handle.

Can't do ATG on head or face. It doesn't work, no matter what the razor, or the blade. Been trying it again off and on for the past 2.5 years. My face just gets far too irritated, as my stubble is like wire and grows too parallel to the skin. My head gets razor bumps and folliculitis issues every time.

Can't do ATG on head or face. It doesn't work, no matter what the razor, or the blade. Been trying it again off and on for the past 2.5 years. My face just gets far too irritated, as my stubble is like wire and grows too parallel to the skin. My head gets razor bumps and folliculitis issues every time.
Sorry to hear that, I only had problems with cartridges before I started DE shaving 3 years ago.

Head shaver here ! Just saw this thread.I started about 8 years ago because while I still had a lot of hair, my hair loss pattern was so crazy it just seemed like the best idea. I've heard people say they don't try for BBS on their head, but that's what I'm going for and have good success with it. I like aggressive razors, but I when I head shave with a milder razor, I found that turning the razor diagonally, especially on the sides gives me great results. Anyway, hey everybody!!

Head shaver here ! Just saw this thread.I started about 8 years ago because while I still had a lot of hair, my hair loss pattern was so crazy it just seemed like the best idea. I've heard people say they don't try for BBS on their head, but that's what I'm going for and have good success with it. I like aggressive razors, but I when I head shave with a milder razor, I found that turning the razor diagonally, especially on the sides gives me great results. Anyway, hey everybody!!
Welcome...to the real world!!!

SOTD

Razor - A1 Flare Tip
Blade - Voskhod - (2nd shave)
Brush - Brass Handled Horsehair (?) I got from antique store
Soap - VDH Luxury
AS - Pinaud SR

BBS dome & face! :badger:

NEW SC/Polsilver SI(17)

Face and head shave...

Haven't used an open comb in a while, this blade with 17 shaves on it felt nice. BBS all the way. Should be able to finish February with it.

NEW SC/Polsilver SI(17)

Face and head shave...

Haven't used an open comb in a while, this blade with 17 shaves on it felt nice. BBS all the way. Should be able to finish February with it.

Used my New Improved this morning. The open comb and greater blade exposure make for amazing shaves!

Used my New Improved this morning. The open comb and greater blade exposure make for amazing shaves!
I used the NEW SC for daily face and head shaves(not balding) for about 6 months straight. One day I leveled a bump on my head and didn't want to stop shaving my head until it healed. I switch to a Postwar Tech and never looked back. The Tech is plenty aggressive enough for a lasting BBS shave all day, a little more work. My stubble is pretty coarse, but I do a pretty good job softening it.

My goto now is a 48-50 Aristocrat, which provides the same experience as the Postwar Tech.

I can usually get to 20 shaves before needing to go to a more aggressive razor, if i desired to, but my face lathering experience that I started on January 31 proved otherwise.

I loaded the brush the same way as bowl lathering and went straight to my face. My blade that usually transitioned at around 20, fell off at 9. I went back to the bowl and went with more aggressive razors a little sooner.

The shaves were great while face lathering, but noticed the big change in the blade performance sooner. If I make it through the February Challenge with this blade, looks promising, the next blade will definitely surpass my previous high with this blade of 29 face and head shaves.

Top Bottom