What's new

Handwriting samples, pics! Let us see yours.

Here's my sample for posterity...

$handwriting sample 001.jpg

I'll bet you will find it a lot easier with lined paper, or a piece of lined paper under the one you are using. You're have way to improvement if you already know that speed is a killer.

It's just as bad on lined paper... trust me. :)

The problem with speed is that if I slow down, my naturally shaky hands make it even worse.

I gave a sample of my own writing much earlier in this thread, and nothing has changed there. Reading some of the comments from people who are embarrassed by their handwriting, I wonder if they have unrealistic expectations. There used to be much better instruction in longhand in the schools, certainly, and it was taken for granted that people would be able to read and write it easily. It's not as if everyone wrote in beautiful Spencerian script or copperplate, though. Once out of school, people developed their own individual styles, and half of the skill was in learning to deal with that. Here's a link, just something I found on Wikipedia, of a letter from 1894 which is no better than many of the pictures posted here. Also, from my youth, I remember dealing with the writing of my elders, most of whom had presumably had been trained by the Palmer method or something similar. There was a pretty wide variation, and it wasn't always pretty.

Perhaps because cursive is becoming less common, people look at the models in exercise books, realize they aren't up to that standard, and forget that the real world generally doesn't conform to an ideal. That's not to say that most of us don't have room for improvement, but slowing down and thinking about what you're doing can work wonders. Practice in reading other people's writing may be just as important; we don't have to insist that everything be perfect.

Admittedly, some people really do have amazingly bad writing. A fellow at work has printing which reminds me of Sumerian cuneiform. After working with him for a dozen years, I can just about decipher it most of the time, but I'd still rather he sent me an Email.:lol:

Last edited:
I gave a sample of my own writing much earlier in this thread, and nothing has changed there. Reading some of the comments from people who are embarrassed by their handwriting, I wonder if they have unrealistic expectations. There used to be much better instruction in longhand in the schools, certainly, and it was taken for granted that people would be able to read and write it easily. It's not as if everyone wrote in beautiful Spencerian script or copperplate, though. Once out of school, people developed their own individual styles, and half of the skill was in learning to deal with that. Here's a link, just something I found on Wikipedia, of a letter from 1894 which is no better than many of the pictures posted here. Also, from my youth, I remember dealing with the writing of my elders, most of whom had presumably had been trained by the Palmer method or something similar. There was a pretty wide variation, and it wasn't always pretty.

I am embarrassed by my handwriting not because it doesn't look like the writing samples you find in books, but because I know that I can do better. I don't care if my end result looks like anything you can find in any handwriting textbook anywhere. I only care that it is easier to read and maybe a little flashier than what it is. I just don't like seeing something, knowing that it's hardly my best and that with a little practice it could be much better.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
ok here is mine. done with my current favorite pen: Uni-Ball Signo 207.

the top line is my normal handwriting, middle line is cursive, the bottom line is when i take my time.
I never use cursive and because of it can't remember some of the letters which I'm sure you can tell.

I'd like to improve my handwriting which is why I've been lurking around the NIB.

ok here is mine. done with my current favorite pen: Uni-Ball Signo 207.

the top line is my normal handwriting, middle line is cursive, the bottom line is when i take my time.
I never use cursive and because of it can't remember some of the letters which I'm sure you can tell.

I'd like to improve my handwriting which is why I've been lurking around the NIB.

For what it's worth, your capital 'T' in cursive looks pretty neat. :)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
For what it's worth, your capital 'T' in cursive looks pretty neat. :)
thanks! I blame computers for my terrible handwriting. It's always been more convenient to type a letter than paper and pen. I'm looking to change that.

Mine is worse than Jason's. It's just terrible. My entire family is pretty poor with handwriting, so I guess I can blame genetics.

I did have several hand-writing classes growing up and would hand-write many papers for High School and college. I have looked up and downloaded PDFs of the Palmer Method and the Ames Self-Instruction books but that does seem to be a lot of work. I think I just need to learn to slow down, grasp the pen looser (I usually hold it like Gollum holds the One Ring), and write more.

Here's mine, Noodler's Baystate Blue in a platinum preppy eye droper.

Attachments

• $229721B3-AE33-43EA-B9C4-93E835F2F3AD-5717-00000A07F7BAF3FD.jpg
    $229721B3-AE33-43EA-B9C4-93E835F2F3AD-5717-00000A07F7BAF3FD.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 182
Ooooo I gotta get me some-o-dat blue!

It's a great color. I don't normally use blue, but I like how bright it is & use it at work all the time. I use it at work for 2 reasons: 1) it's bright and I can notice if I've written on something from just a quick glance and 2) my coworkers hate it because it's as bright of a blue as it is.

Ok... so I use it more for reason 2 than 1, but I still use it all the time at work.

It's a great color. I don't normally use blue, but I like how bright it is & use it at work all the time. I use it at work for 2 reasons: 1) it's bright and I can notice if I've written on something from just a quick glance and 2) my coworkers hate it because it's as bright of a blue as it is.

Ok... so I use it more for reason 2 than 1, but I still use it all the time at work.

What more reason does anyone need to do anything!? :lol:

Top Bottom