What's new

Handground Grinders

Thanks for the additional picture of that Alexanderwerk, a unique looking grinder. I guess that brass ring is mainly for decoration or maybe to provide extra weight for the cover to stay in place while grinding. Looks like an interesting grinder to also pair up with a single cup pourover.

The wooden plug is friction fit and the ring is just a decorative pull handle for removal. It also has a couple of spring steel "fingers" that project down from the burr set to hold the catch-cup. And yes, it will not hold enough ground coffee for much more than a hearty single cup, at least to my strength preference. Maybe 20 grams max.

The OP was not referring to manual hand grinders in the generic sense, but to the brand of manual grinders called Handground.

Amazon.com: Handground Precision Coffee Grinder: Manual Ceramic Burr Mill - White: Kitchen & Dining

Anyone have one?
Yeah, Tex saw mine on another thread and that resulted in this thread I believe. I've been using mine since December and still very pleased. Thus far have used different grind settings for pour over, aeropress, standard drip, french press, and cold brew. They include a suggested grind settings magnet that also includes gram dosing, but I've found that needs a bit of fine tuning for my tastes.

For my purposes this device has worked very well and very happy with it. One little annoyance is that the bean hopper actually holds more than the grounds catcher can hold. Seems like a weird design oversight.

I bought the Hario Skerton with the extra piece to make it more pour over friendly. I've discovered we drink too much coffee to make this thing worth the work.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yeah, Tex saw mine on another thread and that resulted in this thread I believe. I've been using mine since December and still very pleased. Thus far have used different grind settings for pour over, aeropress, standard drip, french press, and cold brew. They include a suggested grind settings magnet that also includes gram dosing, but I've found that needs a bit of fine tuning for my tastes.

For my purposes this device has worked very well and very happy with it. One little annoyance is that the bean hopper actually holds more than the grounds catcher can hold. Seems like a weird design oversight.

Thanks, Sneetch, for checking in.

Frankly, I've found that many "modern" hand grinders ("modern, for lack of a better word) are designed such that the grounds catcher wouldn't come close to holding the results of grinding a full hopper. I don't know if that's for appearance, size constrictions, balance, convenience, or what. However, I suspect it might be a bit of footprint concerns mixed with ergonomics. Shrinking the hopper or expanding the catcher could make the mill awkward to hold. Expanding the catcher could make it trickier to store.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Frankly, I've found that many "modern" hand grinders ("modern, for lack of a better word) are designed such that the grounds catcher wouldn't come close to holding the results of grinding a full hopper. I don't know if that's for appearance, size constrictions, balance, convenience, or what. However, I suspect it might be a bit of footprint concerns mixed with ergonomics. Shrinking the hopper or expanding the catcher could make the mill awkward to hold. Expanding the catcher could make it trickier to store.

Hario Skerton ...

proxy.php

... the one I have. I can report that the hopper holds enough to grind and fill the catcher about half-way. I've never tried it, but I bet I could get two full hoppers ground into the catcher.

For those looking to avoid the problem mentioned by the earlier posters, this could be a good option. I also don't find it awkward to hold.

proxy.php

(Also, my grinder came with a flexible rubber/plastic lid to keep the coffee beans inside the hopper. These photos have it removed.)

proxy.php

... and this guy has an interesting solution to more grinding storage:

proxy.php

Top Bottom