What's new

Grip's Journal (and so it has begun....)

Shave #27: (on Friday the 24th. night)

Lathered up and:

First Pass (WTG): Went well. I'm starting to use more slicing motions then guillotine directly below my lip. Results are better cutting but the odd nick or cut. There is really a fine line of how much "slice" to use before you start cutting skin. Rest of pass went well.

Second Pass (WTG): Again my smoothest pass. No problems.

Third Pass (XTG): This pass has improved to where I feel as comfortable with it as my WTG passes.

Touch-up and done.

Not as close as I would like on my chin but closer and little to no irritation. neck is still smooth and getting closer but not quite where I can get it with a DE. I'm adding a bit a ATG here and there but I need to be careful as no matter what razor I use I can easily get super-irritated with a ATG pass.

Shave #28 : (this afternoon)

Wife went out, day-off and little Grips #3 down for a nap. Time for Daddy Grips to enjoy a straight shave. I did cheat a bit since I had 2.5 days of growth I did the first pass with the DE. Went into this shave looking to get closer on the chin.

Second Pass (WTG): Smooth and no problems. Went for max stretch and more aggressive slicing strokes around the chin.

Third Pass (XTG): Went well except for a nick just below my lip.

Partial XTG/ATG on the chin: Looked to get really close. No more cuts but I could tell I was getting some irritation. Definitely got closer though.

Touch-up and done.

Results: Definitely a closer shave around the chin. DFS overall with almost BBS on cheeks. Alum confirmed irritation on the chin. Have to work to keep getting closer on chin but without the irritation. Overall very happy with the last two shaves. Not as "Zen-like" as old shave #26 but enjoyable shaves. It's nice when the razor starts to really feel comfortable in your hand.

Hone/Touch-up #3:

My razor, while still shaving alright, could use a touch-up so here's what I did.

Started with the 5 micron.

5 micron: 100 laps
3 micron: 60 laps
0.5 micron: 80 laps

It was catching the hair but not cutting so I decided to see what the balsa strop would do.

Green (CrOx): 40 laps
The razor was cutting hair now but not across the whole blade. It was consistant after the 0.5 micron but now it wasn't. I looked at the balsa and it seemed level. However, when I placed the razor on it with the heel down there was a VERY tiny gap near the toe. It wasn't big, but big enough that the toe area wasn't touching. I worked at gently flexing the balsa until the razor would lay flat from heel to toe. I then decided to go back to the film just in case the strop caused some uneveness.

0.5 micron: 60 laps (now catching)
Green: 60 laps (Catching and starting to cut)
Red (FeOx): 60 laps
Leather: 60 laps
Now between HHT3 and 4.

I will shave tonight or tomorrow and see how the shave test turns out.

So for all you newbie honers, you might want to check out your balsa to see if it is flat all the way across. I'm considering getting two pieces of balsa, glueing them to some tile and then adding the CrOx to one and Feox to the other. Then I won't have to worry about cupping. That is for down the road. For right now I will be checking for flatness before every use.

Shave #29:

First shave after the touch-up. It was passing ~HHT-3. Hone #2 was passing HHT-4. The razor didn't feel quite as sharp but better than it was. This was overall a smooth, fairly close shave.

First Pass (WTG): Went through a days growth as well as could be expected. This is still my toughest pass. The touch-up definitely helped out. Keeping the touch light and slicing strokes are what I've found I need to focus on in this pass or it ends up being a rough shave.

Second Pass (WTG): No problems. Getting closer on the chin and neck.

Third Pass (XTG): Getting better. Two nicks due to inattention. Getting the stretching/contorting of the lips and tongue down to get the closeness I'm looking for.

Touch-up and done.

Overall I'm happy with the progress of my technique. Wish the razor came out of the touch-up sharper but still keen enough to do the job. I'm sure I'll be on my death bed one day still looking for that perfect combo of sharp and smooth.

Shave #30:

I was hoping 30 would be a break-through shave but it wasn't. It wasn't a bad shave just not very close and a couple of nicks.

First Pass (WTG): Seemed to go all right. Not going through the whiskers as well as I would like but not pulling or tugging.

Second Pass (WTG): Went ok.

Third Pass (XTG): Definitely not as smooth. This is the pass I got the nicks. Mostly from poor blade placement.

Minimal touch-up. A little irritation and not close on the chin. It was midnight at this point so I shut it down.

Might have to go back to the lapping film. I may even do a dozen strokes on the 15 micron before I move to the finer stuff. It is going to be a busy next few days so I might not have time until Saturday night to do any honing.

You're doing great! I suspect that our honing is not that bad at all. I bet if you had that razor honed by a professional, you would have had a similar shave. That has been my experience. :wink2:

You're doing great! I suspect that our honing is not that bad at all. I bet if you had that razor honed by a professional, you would have had a similar shave. That has been my experience. :wink2:

Thanks noah. I appreciate it. I must say there are some really good journals being consistently updated on this forum. Yours is most definitely one of them. I did a rehone/retouch-up tonight with improved results. I will put down my progression tomorrow.

Hone/Touch-Up #4:

I wasn't satisfied with the feel of the razor on the last shave. So I decided to go back to the film.

I decided to go right back to the 15 mic. Here is the progression:

15 micron: ~60 laps. I started with a finger to add pressure. After 20 laps just a light touch. 20 more with no finger.
5 micron: 80 laps.
3 micron: 40 laps
0.5 micron: 80 laps
CrOx (Balsa): 20 laps
FeOx (Balsa): 20 laps
Leather: 60 laps

The razor wasn't cutting on the HHT until after the leather strop. Then it was ~HHT-3. Stropping makes all the difference.

Shave #31:
Did a first pass with a DE.

Second Pass (WTG): Went well no problems. Not quite as keen as after Hone #2 but better than after Hone#3.
Third Pass (XTG): Went well. I'm not totally satisfied with this pass on th echin but the cheeks are no problem.
Touch-up and done.

Overall a keener razor (but not quite where I would like it) and a better shave. Still working to get close on the chin without nicks and irritation. The rest of the face I'm quite satisfied with.

Ditto what Noah writes above! Thanks for keeping up with the journal. It is encouraging for me to see that another is learning to hone and shave at the same time I am.

Ditto what Noah writes above! Thanks for keeping up with the journal. It is encouraging for me to see that another is learning to hone and shave at the same time I am.

Glad you are getting something out of it. It is mostly so I can track what worked and what didn't for future reference. Secondly I hope others may read it and gain something from it. I know I have learned a ton from other's journals. I see it as a win-win. Glad to see you have started your own journal.

Shave#32:

I had two+ days of growth on this one. Given that, I was glad I tried something that Beisler and noahpictures brought up in noah's journal.....glycerine.

I have used pre-shave oil (e-shave's lavender) and Proaso's pre/post shave. I stopped using them with a DE as I felt they didn't make a ton of difference. Never had tried glycerine before tonight.

I put some glycerine on my whiskers and let it sit while I made my lather (e-shave white tea cream). I did not use any glycerine in the lather.

First Pass (WTG): I don't know if the glycerine helped soften the whiskers any better but I noticed a most definite enhanced "glide" to the razor. This was good b/c 2+ days of growth is toughto get through (for me) esp. around the chin.

Second Pass (WTG): Went quite well. I reapplied some glycerine around the chin. Again, definite increase in glide; not sure about softening.

Third Pass(XTG): No problems.
Touch-up and done.

I like the glide the glycerine added. Tough to judge as I usually shave everyday to every second day. Two plus days isn't my most common situation so judging a new "twist" is a little tough. I think next time I'll use the glycerine as I did but only one-days growth. Then try it in the lather. That way I will know what works best.

P.s. Glad to see some more journals pop-up. I encourage any who may be reading to do so. The glycerine I tried tonight came to mind from reading a journal (noah's) with added input by someone else keeping a journal (Beisler). Thank-you gentlemen.

The stuff you put in your journals may be the answer to a problem....someone else's right now....or your own down the road. OK off the soap-box now.:wink2:

That was a 2-day shave, without using a DE for the first pass?

Right on! Good confidence booster.

(personnaly I enjoy axing 2-day growth with a straight. I like to see all that wreckage in the spent lather, even if it's more work.)

That was a 2-day shave, without using a DE for the first pass?

Right on! Good confidence booster.

(personnaly I enjoy axing 2-day growth with a straight. I like to see all that wreckage in the spent lather, even if it's more work.)

Lol. Thanks. I am definitely getting better with that first pass. Wasn't sure how it was going to go with 2.5 days growth. You're right, it is a confidence booster.

The first time I used glycerin as a pre-shave I was wowed by it. I might mix glycerin and pre-shave oil to see how that works.

The first time I used glycerin as a pre-shave I was wowed by it. I might mix glycerin and pre-shave oil to see how that works.

That might turn out to be the magic pre-shave poition. Let me know how it works.

Just don't mix glycerine with Potassium Permanganate (it will ignite). Saw it on Survivorman.

Last edited:
I noticed the ingredientls list on AoS preshave: Grape seed oil, castor oil, fragarance. I've been mixing my own for quite a while, with grape seed and castor oils, super cheap. I doubt it's as slick as glycerine though. Preshave oils.... that's a whole nuther thread....

Glad you found something that works.

Shave#33:

I tried the glycerine in the lather bowl as well as the face. Definitely made for a slicker lather. More glide and no sticking of the blade. I also stropped between passes and I think it helped as well.

First Pass (WTG): Two days growth. It got mowed down alright except for the chin but I think I have steel cable for hair on there so not bad considering.

Second Pass(WTG): No problems. Really noticed the slickness of the lather on this pass.

Third Pass(XTG): Went well except for a cut on my chin. The cuts I still get seem to be on this pass on my chin. Oh well, I'll get it figured out.

Touch-up around chin and moustache went alright. Not as close as I would like but fairly smooth.

I like the glycerine; both on the face as a pre-shave prep and in the lather. Stropping between passes seemed to make a difference. I think I need to try some differnent ways to stretch the chin and moustache areas to get the closeness I'm looking for. I'll try some different stuff on the next shave.

The mix of shaving oil with a little glycerin worked very well for the first time. This is (link) what I do when shaving under the mustache area. Always close and I hardly nick myself no matter what type of razor I am using.

Shave#34:

Tried the glycerine with soap this time...again, a noticeable difference in glide. I also tried noah's suggestion for the moustache area. I used his whisker reduction method both there and on the chin along with more aggressive skin-stretching. Positive results. Thanks noah !!

First Pass(WTG): Went well. Glycerine is definitely helpful in smoothing this pass out.

Second Pass (WTG): Worked the new technique and more stretching. Went well except when the skin slipped as I was stretching it and pulled back into the razor giving me a cut. Stypic did the job.

Third Pass (XTG): No problems. Getting closer.

Touch-up and done. Worked noah's technique here a little more.

Results were as close as I have ever come to on chin and moustache with a straight. I'll keep reining this technique. Hope to get as close with the straight as with the DE. But that took time to get there; I'm sure it will come with the straight.

Top Bottom