What's new

My DIY razor

Ya know...One of my concerns is the flex of the blade. But if ya added a flat plate top and bottom, You'd have something like a Triton Flat Top razor...an open-comb version but, they'd be similar. I have a Triton Flat, it shaves just fine, but ya have to get accustomed to the different angle, so jumping from it to other more typical razors isn't easy but, you definitely can shave with it and get a good shave although, I have the mildest version because that's what I need. However, you'd have to do yer homework on the thickness of the plates and how much blade you want to be exposed.

Al

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hey pitter patter, I think you got blade chatter. Blade on a stick, might as well use a shick. To prevent being a cluts, you better use loctite, or you'll lose your nuts. If your satisfaction, is through sharp levels of aggression, you'll be shedding many a weaper, down the reaper river.

That is about as basic as you can get, other than just holding the blade in your fingers.
Funny you should say this as it wasn't too long ago a guy on YouTube actually did a shave with just a blade and no lather either!! I had to watch the whole thing because I kept waiting for him to slice himself with it but it never happened and it looked like it was a pretty good shave... :out:

Take a couple of used blades, grind the edges off on a rock or something until you have the clearance you want, and sandwich the live blade in between them. Ought to stiffen it up.

Okay, I made something that supposed to look like a baseplate and a top cap. This is how the "razor" looks:

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG

Just like the last time, I took a hot shower and went for it.

First pass: WTG
This "razor" is so freaking aggressive it reminds me of the Roedter, it mowed all those whiskers with ease on my cheeks, neck and jawline. It the diy baseplates it performs much better than without it. It didn't perform well on my chin and stache area.

Second pass: XTG
No issues at all except on the stache and chin area, it didn't matter much because I was planning to do touch ups with my Fatip OC with a Feather blade.

Third pass: ATG
I got a BBS on my cheeks, jawline and neck. On my stache and chin area I had a DFS. I really thought that I would probably slice my whole face open but none of that happened, no cuts, no razor burns.

I'm done with this project, it was fun while it lasted. Maybe in the future I'll get a resin printer and design a real razor :001_rolle

Okay, I made something that supposed to look like a baseplate and a top cap. This is how the "razor" looks:

View attachment 1798954
View attachment 1798956View attachment 1798955

Just like the last time, I took a hot shower and went for it.

This "razor" is so freaking aggressive it reminds me of the Roedter, it mowed all those whiskers with ease on my cheeks, neck and jawline. It the diy baseplates it performs much better than without it. It didn't perform well on my chin and stache area.

No issues at all except on the stache and chin area, it didn't matter much because I was planning to do touch ups with my Fatip OC with a Feather blade.

I got a BBS on my cheeks, jawline and neck. On my stache and chin area I had a DFS. I really thought that I would probably slice my whole face open but none of that happened, no cuts, no razor burns.

I'm done with this project, it was fun while it lasted. Maybe in the future I'll get a resin printer and design a real razor :001_rolle
There are plenty of 3d printed razors, even here.

Today I was bored and decided to make a DIY razor and shave with it. I went to a hardware store and got a threaded rod with the diameter of 4mm and a pack of bolts. I used my angle grinder to cut the rod on size which is 8cm. I screwed all the bolts on the rod to create a handle and ended with something that looks like a DE razor but without the base plate and top cap.

View attachment 1796765
View attachment 1796768
View attachment 1796770

I loaded it with a Wizamet Super Iridium blade and decided to use it, I also had a Fatip OC as a back up razor just in case the DIY razor wouldn't work. Okay, now it was time to use this "thing" that looks like a DE razor. I took a hot shower first then I lathered the Proraso shaving cream in my bowl. The plan was to do 3 passes. I really had no idea what to expect, to be honest I even have no idea why I'm doing this :biggrin1:

It really works even without stretching the skin, but on other areas it was much harder. Often I had the feeling that it wasn't cutting anything. I played with all kind of different angles and tried to find which angle I needed. The hardest part to shave was the stache, chin and jawline. The neck area surprised me because I had no issues at all shaving it. In the beginning I really thought that I would probably cut myself a lot but this wasn't the case, to be honest it shaves very aggressively but in a good way. I had the impression that it was impossible to cut myself.

I had no issues shaving my cheeks, the stache area became a problem I felt like it wasn't cutting anything. Jawline and chin area; same story. I tried different angles and eventually gave up. I had a semi BBS on my cheek and neck area.

ATG was no issue on my cheeks and neck area, I tried to do an ATG on the troublesome areas and I had some success but I wasn't satisfied with them. So I decided to remove the blade and load it into my Fatip and shave the area's I did a bad job on. Thanks to the Fatip I ended up with a full BBS.

Verdict:
Does it shave? Yes it does but you need to find the proper angles which can take quite some time, I believe I could get a full BBS using this "DIY" razor but for me it's not worth the time. Sometimes I noticed that it couldn't cut the whiskers for some unknown reason, maybe I had to use more pressure? Could I improve this "razor"? I think I can by adding a base plate and a cap. I could cut a part of a large plastic tube and see how that would work out. Yeah it is an aggressive tool but not in a bad way, it was very forgiving.
Definitely not a SAFETY razor.

I could tell you it would be terrible without having to experiment. Maybe try taping a razor blade to a rock or something.

:biggrin:
It worked out pretty well.

I'm in on the rock thing, but there is one problem... I need a test subject since you came up with such a brilliant idea, I'm going to use you as a guinea pig :biggrin1: No need to thank me!

DYI Razor could lead to inscription on Tombstone, guy could have avoided his death from bleed out, with vintage cheap tech.
Serious question, did anyone ever die from shaving? Even with this "razor" I find it very hard to cut yourself, unless you're pushing the blade all the way into your skin.

Top Bottom