What's new

Grip's Journal (and so it has begun....)

Thanks Chris. +1000 on the little things. They make all the difference.

How does Mike's compare to MWF in your opinion ? I believe you mentioned using it in your journal at one point.

Grips-

hype is an interesting topic... one that probably has so many facets, it's difficult to discuss without frustration... what razors haven't lived up to the hype for you?

nice razor by the way...

-jon

Thanks on the razor. To be honest it is only the second straight I have. However by reading the boards here (and elsewhere) Le Grelots seem to be held in such high esteem that someone who has not used one might consider it hype. I know I wondered if it was just hype or an accurate reflection of a great razor. While I don't have a lot to compare to, the shaves from the razor have been great. So someone reading this, who has not tried a Le Grelot and wondering if they are just hype or not (as I was) could take my recommendation as coming from a similar mind-set to their own. Not necessarily right....just coming from the same place.

I agree hype is multi-faceted. If the talk is backed up by quality (both in build and performance) it can be considered not hype; or still hype, but justifiable hype. Just depends on what hype means to you as an individual.

Great point. Hopefully my take on it has made sense.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Chris. +1000 on the little things. They make all the difference.

How does Mike's compare to MWF in your opinion ? I believe you mentioned using it in your journal at one point.
I have not used Mike's enough to do a fair comparison yet but first impresions for me are:
Mike's his sents add to the enjoyment and was easy to lather.
MWF is a bit harder to get a good lather but not that much.
both have lanoline so leave my face feeling good after the shave. I like both soaps
if you get the fat without the bowl I think they compare well on price.

Last edited:
Thanks on the razor. To be honest it is only the second straight I have. However by reading the boards here (and elsewhere) Le Grelots seem to be held in such high esteem that someone who has not used one might consider it hype. I know I wondered if it was just hype or an accurate reflection of a great razor. While I don't have a lot to compare to, the shaves from the razor have been great. So someone reading this, who has not tried a Le Grelot and wondering if they are just hype or not (as I was) could take my recommendation as coming from a similar mind-set to their own. Not necessarily right....just coming from the same place.

I agree hype is multi-faceted. If the talk is backed up by quality (both in build and performance) it can be considered not hype; or still hype, but justifiable hype. Just depends on what hype means to you as an individual.

Great point. Hopefully my take on it has made sense.

it is a really nice razor... and i agree and your post makes sense.

Hype means to me publicity and promotion, and I try to forgo the negative aspect of deception in my definition when talking about straights... i don't think deception is typically the intent, although I do have some reservations about why certain people get so enthusiastic about certain brands and it's subsequent effect on the market (not really talking about the specific dubl duck phenomenon here, i am talking about other people)... and no, i hope it should be obvious to you that not talking about you at the moment...

I mean i really really enjoy a certain size/grind of razor, and I really wish no one else did. but it's hard to contain my enthusiasm and keep my mouth quiet about it... it's a double edged sword for me..

Top Bottom