What's new

Geocachers?

Yep I'm one too wife and I love it. Use a garmin etrex10 on a side note I randomly bumped into the guy that hid the 2,000,000th cache. He was looking for a cache hidden near my work (a jail) and our patrols made it difficult for him not to look out of place. I let him know I'm one of him and we got talking. He told me he just hid the 2,000,000th cache, checked it out and yep. Made my day.

Hey chaps. I looked into this a couple of years ago but have never gotten round to it. I think I have my daughter and wife on board. I have learned to quit asking what is "best" for anything anymore. Much depends upon the way you interact with it. Saying that I have two friends who work at Garmin corporate(about 25 miles from my home) and they can usually put me on to some deep discounts. However, I simply have no idea what I actually need to do this. I suppose it is like anything. You can put as much as you bloody well want into it. I do not mind spending a bit of money but want to make sure any unit I buy is VERY user friendly. I do not want it to be more of a chore to use it than find a cache.

Cheers, Todd

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Todd, I think there's less YMMV with the GPSr's but certainly enough to go around. I started with a decade old Magellan, pretty quickly upgraded to an ETrex Garmin 20 .. there are smart phone apps that supposedly work also, there were none available for my rotary dial though ..

After about 500 finds, mostly alone, but sometimes with some super-cachers, it comes down less to the technology than developing an "eye" for possible hiding spots, and what they call "geo-sense". My old GPS got me just as close, and I found a bunch with it, but it didn't allow the paperless stuff like the new ones.

Hey chaps. I looked into this a couple of years ago but have never gotten round to it. I think I have my daughter and wife on board. I have learned to quit asking what is "best" for anything anymore. Much depends upon the way you interact with it. Saying that I have two friends who work at Garmin corporate(about 25 miles from my home) and they can usually put me on to some deep discounts. However, I simply have no idea what I actually need to do this. I suppose it is like anything. You can put as much as you bloody well want into it. I do not mind spending a bit of money but want to make sure any unit I buy is VERY user friendly. I do not want it to be more of a chore to use it than find a cache.

Todd, I think there's less YMMV with the GPSr's but certainly enough to go around. I started with a decade old Magellan, pretty quickly upgraded to an ETrex Garmin 20 .. there are smart phone apps that supposedly work also, there were none available for my rotary dial though ..

After about 500 finds, mostly alone, but sometimes with some super-cachers, it comes down less to the technology than developing an "eye" for possible hiding spots, and what they call "geo-sense". My old GPS got me just as close, and I found a bunch with it, but it didn't allow the paperless stuff like the new ones.

Cheers, Todd

Yeah I agree with you completely. Mine was designed pretty much specifically for Geocaching, so it has paperless. It's a Magellan, but I think I would be pretty much ok with any one that allows you to download geocaches to it. I don't think I would ever get out if I had to print out the listings for the caches I was going to.

Gary and Alex, thank you for the nice responses. Now can I ask a really silly question? What is this paperless thing I see all the time? I mean, surely to goodness you are not printing out maps with a non-paperless unit? I suspect this has more to do with listings of caches than the maps themselves. Yes/no? Anyroad, from what little I have gathered from your posts it is worthwhile to go with a paperless unit.

Cheers Todd

garyg

Todd, an old non-paperless GPS will lead you to the approximate same spot (subject to tree cover, volcanic ash, etc) as a brand new whiz kid. Paperless units though will allow you to see the cache description, some prior finders' logs, clues, etc., while you are in the woods, and have better/faster/painless cache downloads than typing something like N 42° 27.541 W 083° 26.710 digit by digit into your device, then naming it. With non-paperless, like my old one, you missed the GeoCaching.com stuff unless you printed it out & stuffed it in ya pocket.

Either will work, around here some practice what is known as "Dirty Caching", where they look it up then go afield without their device (works better on urban caches, believe me), though I have found a couple/three that way ..

It is a fun activity, keep us posted

paperless also allows you to make notes in each Find, so when you upload your finds/Not Found, it displays you notes and you can leave as it or add to it.

I started out with a etrek, printed off all the notes, description etc and had no issues. but it was a hassle. the paperless GPS's are much nicer to use, but don't get you any closer to the cache.

it has saved us from looking for a "non-existent" cache. ie) you don't have printouts, have your GPS and decide to stop for a cache. only to discover it has 10 DNF's in the past week and you were looking for nothing.

time to get back out and Geocache this year...i took a year or so off, but am getting the bug again and now the kids are a bit older and able to hike thru the muck and terrain a bit better

paperless also allows you to make notes in each Find, so when you upload your finds/Not Found, it displays you notes and you can leave as it or add to it.

I started out with a etrek, printed off all the notes, description etc and had no issues. but it was a hassle. the paperless GPS's are much nicer to use, but don't get you any closer to the cache.

it has saved us from looking for a "non-existent" cache. ie) you don't have printouts, have your GPS and decide to stop for a cache. only to discover it has 10 DNF's in the past week and you were looking for nothing.

time to get back out and Geocache this year...i took a year or so off, but am getting the bug again and now the kids are a bit older and able to hike thru the muck and terrain a bit better

Exactly. My first (and only) GPS allows me to download the caches to it. So I've never really had to experience printing out or writing down co-ordinates, and I just don't think that I would really get out much without the luxury of just downloading everything to my GPS.

Just a little thread necromancy, any of our newer members Geocachers?

My GPSr of choice is now the Garmin GPSMap 62s, anyone recently upgraded?

It's been a while since we've been out too It's winter here, and I just can't seem to get into winter caching.
Yup, it's been a rough winter here too (probably not as bad as Ontario!)so we haven't cached in a couple of months. There are two kinds of caches near me, the usual neighborhood caches and then the ones deep in the local state park. The state park ones I do solo as they can get a little strenuous and I've been thinking about snow shoes. That might be fun and good exercise too.

Glad to see some other geocachers on here. I have a GPSMAP62s. Love spending a few hours outside now and then, especially with my kids.

Glad to see some other geocachers on here. I have a GPSMAP62s. Love spending a few hours outside now and then, especially with my kids.

The 62s is a great unit, upgraded to one myself last year.
Electronic compass makes things much easier :thumbsup:

garyg

Got a new one about 700 yards from me porch last week, a new hide in one of our pocket parks .. at one point I went knee deep in a snow hole, tripped over snow covered branches, etc.

Hoping to get out more this year and finally get to 500

Top Bottom