What's new

Geocachers?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Have been doing it for a couple of years now. The daughters and I really enjoy it.

Just discovered both geocaching & this thread, and made a first find just today. My GPS goes back to the Clinton years, my eyes back to Harry Trumans'

Pretty neat to find a film can sized object just off a trail I've walked for a long time

Another Cacher, checking in. The eTrex 20 is my weapon of choice.

I'm terrible at finding urban caches, though. Give me something the size of an ammo box out in the forest over a bison tube hanging from a bush in a Wal-Mart parking lot any day of the week.

My wife and I did it a lot last year. My gps broke in early spring and now I just use the iPhone app. I hate having to use my phone and haven't been motivated to do it as much as I would otherwise. I need to buckle down and get another gps. Its cool to see so many of us here do it!

I'm terrible at finding urban caches, though. Give me something the size of an ammo box out in the forest over a bison tube hanging from a bush in a Wal-Mart parking lot any day of the week.

I generally keep away from urban caches, too many muggles around.
I like caches where I can take my time to find them without raising looks from passing vehicles, people, etc.

I generally keep away from urban caches, too many muggles around.
I like caches where I can take my time to find them without raising looks from passing vehicles, people, etc.

I completely agree, I'm not a big fan of looking super-sketchy while doing it. I found out there's a couple around the mall my wife and I work in though, so tomorrow after I drop her off to work, I'm gonna go find them. The mall should be dead because it's Canada Day (July 1st) here, and while it is a holiday for us when it falls on a Sunday stores (weirdly) have to stay open on it and get to close the Monday. Also no-one knows about this stupid rule.

I totally agree. Pennsylvania Geocacher here.

Delorme P90 is my GPS of choice.

I greatly enjoy Geocaching. Only use my iPhone. It's amazing the things I've found in my own home town that I never knew existed, including an entire abandoned railway line complete with abandoned Civil War era coal mine.

Yup Been one for about 3ish years. I have a Garmin Etrex. My wife son and I go out every once in a while. My wife is afraid of snakes so she usually lets me and the kid do the bushwacking!

TFTF!

Hahaha, I have a terrible habit that makes geocaching alot harder than it has to be. I get something like 50m away from a cache and start bushwacking and often end up right back on the same trail which I didn't realise lead right to the cache anyway.

My geocaching trips usually end up happening at 2am when me and my friends get home after a night out. Only found one cache so far though! We usually just see what's around and go from there

Been a cacher for about 6 years. I started with an Etrex Legend and never had a problem. My in-laws got me a new Etrex 10 with a caching bundle for Christmas, but I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, too much snow on the ground.

Been a cacher for about 6 years. I started with an Etrex Legend and never had a problem. My in-laws got me a new Etrex 10 with a caching bundle for Christmas, but I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, too much snow on the ground.

The etrex 10 is my weapon on choice, a great unit.
The only downside (that I have found) is that it can only show the closest 18 caches, however I have found that on occasions it fails to show the closest caches and thinks that the closest is a couple of Kms (or Miles) away.
Generally I don't have an issue with it, as my caching trips are always planned and I load the GPS with the needed caches beforehand and then remove when returning home.

Howdy! Elde checking in from the Great Pacific Northwet. After seven years of caching, I've only got 250 caches, but I concentrate on quality over quantity.

I use Garmin GPS Map 60 CSx, and we've gone paperless with the Geocaching iPhone app. (It really has changed our game for the better.)

Hahaha, I have a terrible habit that makes geocaching alot harder than it has to be. I get something like 50m away from a cache and start bushwacking and often end up right back on the same trail which I didn't realise lead right to the cache anyway.

Yup me too. If there is a more difficult way to get there, I'll find it.

Top Bottom