What's new

GEMini will soon be upon us !

someone somewhere may have packed his Razorock Alum, a sample of Mystic Waters Bay Rum, a disposable razor, some Nivea asb and a GEM Flying Wing, which may or may not have accidentally been left with a GEM/Personna SS with 3 uses on it, and which may have made it through the airport with no detection.
Oopsie.

Not that I'm going to shave today since the %@$!##*#@! flight is 3 hours late.

This is the GEM I've been shaving with most often this month.
$SOTD May 27, 2012 CCBob SE 028.jpg
$SOTD May 27, 2012 CCBob SE 044.jpg
$SOTD May 27, 2012 CCBob SE 026.jpg
$SOTD May 27, 2012 CCBob SE 023.jpg
This is the last work I received from Cooncat Bob. I sent him the razor head (it is a Zinn GEM lather-catcher that had a good deal of brassing but was mechanically good) and he made the handle for me and had it all replated. It is definitely my favorite razor. Shaves like a dream with a good GEM Personna blade from Walgreens or GEM Blue Star carbon blade. He built these handles according to the same design of the short wooden handles on many of the old lather catchers, but made it longer and solid brass so it's good and heavy. He mailed this one to me on March 31, 2012. I was going to ask him to make me one just like it out of the pink ivory wood that he made some of my Psycho razor keys out of, unfortunately, that won't happen. Blessings to his memory and his family.

Day 22 (2)Flying Wing, GEM SS (5), MW Bay Rum, Vie Long 12705. Long luxurious shave produced nice DFS, near BBS. Blade shows little sign of stopping but sacrificed it to avoid TSA difficulties. Loving the results from this razor.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
OCMM and a Push-Button came in yesterday from the BST. Whee!
Popped the GEM PTFE(8) into the OCMM and you can definitely feel the blade in it compared to the 1912. The shave was a little rougher than the 1912, but I think that has more to do with the blade being on shave #8 than the razor. End result was very nice, but at least the OCMM let me know my alum block still works :blushing:

SOTD Wednesday June 13, 2012
proxy.php

Prep: Tepid Water Shower, Brush soaking in cold water.
Razor: GEM Junior
Blade: Blue Star GEM Carbon
Brush: 1950's Stanley Badger Hair Brush
Soap: VDH
Cream: Kiss My Face Unscented
AS: Pinuad Clubam
Post: Cold Water Rinse, Naturally Fresh Alum, Second Cold Water Rinse, Bath of Clubman :biggrin:

I decided to use the GEM Junior from Brian...the shave was excellent, three passes, a DFS and I am ready to take on the day.

Day 23
changing it up a bit down the home stretch. Using a carbon steel blade in different razors each day.

Last night was a Gem Cutlery 1912 Damaskeene, carbon steel blade, MW lime, SOC boar
everything good except ATG. Still too much tugging.

G-Bar, carbon blade, MWF, and a hefty splash of Ogallala Bay Rum.

I shaved my cheeks/jawline for the first time in almost six years earlier this week (with a straight), but today was the first time with a safety razor of any kind - 99% BBS, with a tiny hint of ATG stubble hiding at the corner of my jaw.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
OCMM with a GEM PTFE(2).
A much more comfortable shave than yesterday (see post #136), but still a little bit of razor burn, which I think might be carry-over from that shave. :blushing:

Day 24
ER 1912 with carbon steel blade (2), MW lime, SOC boar
irritation free DFS

just feels that bit easier than the Gem Damaskeene. Still have a tugging feeling, especially ATG, but still damn good results.

Day 25 (less than a week to go!)
ER 1914 with GEM carbon steel (3), MW Lime, TGN Silvertip

A fine, fine shave. Less tuggy than the 1912, ATG still a little problematic.
Got 90% of face to BBS without major irritation.
1914 still a very good year.

cpool222.....

that's real purty. Never seen anything like it before.
Do you have to modify the blades?

No, the injector blades work just as they are. I've heard that you can modify SE & DE blades to fit it, but I haven't had a chance to try that yet... if anyone has had experience with doing that, please tell me how.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Tried a different grip with the OCMM + GEM PTFE(3) for this morning. Used the two-finger neck pinch rather than the "let the razor handle butt rest on your pinky" grip. A pretty good shave even though I was still feeling the blade; much better than my previous OCMM experiences, but the 1912 is much more intuitive and easier to use.

Day 26 Down the home stretch
Ever Ready 1924 with GEM carbon steel (4), MW sandalwood, SOC Boar
May have been a weaker lather but felt smoothness in between 1914 and 1912
ATG more problematic than 1914. Still got to minor irritation DFS, with BBS in most places

Gbar, Flying wing, OCMM left to go with the carbon steel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom