What's new

GEMini will soon be upon us !

Couldn't even get through the WTG pass with 1912 today before having to use the Slim. Hopefully these are just a few bad blades (although the first one was GREAT!). Will be popping in my last SE blade tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed.

Which Gem blades? I have Blue Stars here that have been just fine so far, but one of them seems to be like the Energizer Bunny -- "Going and Going". All I do is let it dry, out of the razor(s) and it isn't rusting or showing any marks of any kind. It's got about five shaves on it so far, spread out over a couple of weeks or so (I only have a small collection of SEs, and I'm using them a lot, but not exclusively, for June).

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Which Gem blades? I have Blue Stars here that have been just fine so far, but one of them seems to be like the Energizer Bunny -- "Going and Going". All I do is let it dry, out of the razor(s) and it isn't rusting or showing any marks of any kind. It's got about five shaves on it so far, spread out over a couple of weeks or so (I only have a small collection of SEs, and I'm using them a lot, but not exclusively, for June).
They're GEMs and I thought they were PTFEs, but don't know enough to determine whether they are or not. All I know is that Blade-1 lasted for 7 great shaves and blades 2/3/4 gave me 1 shave only. I was rinsing and pat-drying the blades after shaving as well, just to be safe. I have some GEM PTFEs coming from the recent group buy (split an order with another local member, just having fun trying to align schedules for delivery), so I'm eagerly awaiting them for hopeful repeats of my 1st SE experience.

Day 14 and alls well
1924 with gem/personna ss, vdh/portman square/kmf, tgn silver tip.
Figuring out my face, getting CCS, but still not efficient. I could shave all day with this thing, not quite getting bbs, but also not getting irritation either. Not sure what I'm doing different now - few weeks ago I used this I thought I was getting close to the ultimate combination.
2 more shaves then on to the g bar.

Day 15
well I woke up this morning
got stubble on my face
that 1924 may be smoothing
but I got hair all over the place

So I got me a G bar
Palm stropped a fresh pella
A good razorrock lather
now I'm a smooth g bar fella

(sorry, but it was so damn good, the muse of crappy blues hit me)

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
A wonderful shave this morning with the 1912 and my last GEM blade (1st shave). Looking forward to tomorrow's!

Damaskeene + Treet = DFS. Last two mornings and many times before. Thanks to this thread for giving me a reason to go SE for awhile. I didn't realize how much I missed it.

Day 15 (2)
Got in a second shave last night, G Bar, Pella Blade (2), KMF Mint plus Portman Square Orange Vetivier cream.
Not quite as sweet as the first time, but still a pretty damn good shave.

Day 16
fourth shave with gbar and coated blade, with pure unadulterated Arko.
Got in in my head that I had to go bbs, so I did. Lots of buffing, but ended up with bbs and a red neck.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Whee!! Happy to report that my current GEM blade provided an excellent shave this morning in the 1912, much different from my last 3 blades which were 2 shaves at most.

. . . Energizer Bunny -- "Going and Going". All I do is let it dry, out of the razor(s) and it isn't rusting or showing any marks of any kind. It's got about five shaves on it so far, spread out over a couple of weeks or so (I only have a small collection of SEs, and I'm using them a lot, but not exclusively, for June).

I have shaved more with assorted "SE" types than any other, but I saw that my trusty Super Adjustable was looking particularly forlorn, and took pity on it yesterday . .

OK, picking back up with GEMini now. I put things on pause briefly to do a Bob Smith Memorial Tour of some of my favorite heads on the one BRW handle I own.

Today I'm up to the 1914-style Little Lather Catcher -- lot of blade exposure on this guy. Very effective shaver but I have to be extra awake with it.

Day 17
G bar with 5th shave on the Pella blade. still smooth.
mixed some Arko with some Portman Square ans spread with SOC boar.
Flying wing arrived today. Will break it in tomorrow.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Very nice, easy shave today with the GEM(3) in a 1912. Looking forward to restocking my SE blades (which should happen over the wknd) as this is my last one.

Day 18
GEM Flying Wing, fresh GEM/Personna SS blade, Mystic Water Lime with SOC boar, Mystic Water Bay Rum with TGN Silvertip (after the lime was too runny)

As good as the G-bar. Fantastic shave.

Day 19
GEM Flying Wing, GEM/Personna SS blade (2), Mystic Water Lime with SOC boar
Started well but ended up with to much pressure. I could see I was doing it but couldnt make myself stop....
DFS most everywhere, irritationa around Adams apple.
Still enjoying the ride!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Yesterday was day-4 with the GEM PTFE in a 1912. Looks like this blade is restoring my faith after 3 short-lived blades. And as a bonus, I hooked up with mdlgrant (nice fellow!) and picked up 100 blades from the group buy.

Same setup this morning : 1912 with GEM PTFE(5) , and another very nice shave.
My poor old DEs have seen very little love during GEMini.

Day 20
GEM Flying Wing, GEM/Personna SS blade (3), Mystic Water Lime with Vie Long 12705
Got a great lather and boy did it make a difference.
Found that just at pretty much flush, the head almosts sticks to your face, sucking the stubble closer.
3 pass irritation free DFS.
Wonderful.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Same old setup for me : 1912 and a GEM PTFE(6)
I have a few more SEs en route from the BST and fleaBay and looking forward to receiving them. SEs are not only providing me with some great shaves, they're fun to use as well.

I will have to take at least one day off as I need to fly to New Hampshire tonight, back Wednesday.

I may have to use........gulp.......a disposable.

Top Bottom