What's new

GEMini will soon be upon us !

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Switched over from the OCMM to a GEM gold Push-Button + GEM PTFE(4) for this morning's shave, using VDH+Proraso in the DB scuttle. An excellent shave, right on par with what the 1912 provides. First time using the push-button and, unlike the OCMM, it is VERY easy to use and I don't need to focus-focus-focus on my shave but can relax and enjoy. Thinking that the OCMM might get filed away for a while before finding a new home elsewhere.
So far GEMini has been a blast for me (even with the OCMM "fun").

Day 27 Yesterday, I can hear the DEs calling.

G bar with two blades, a fantastic Razorock lather and SOC boar.

The Carbon Steel, on its 5th outing gave up the ghost on an XTG pass. An uncoated SS, which I had accidentally left in the razor last weekend and which also had 4 previous outings, finished the job with flying colors.
Finding that I do like the SS - coated or uncoated - better than the carbons.

Later today, GEM OCMM that just landed

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Same setup as yesterday .... GEM push-button with GEM PTFE(5) .... and the same excellent results. :thumbup1:

Gents, I have gone through the Clog-Pruf, the 1924, the Push Button, the Open Comb MicroMatic and now the Contour. There was not a bad shave in the bunch, though I do have to say both the Clog-Pruf and OCMM are better shavers than the others.

The Contour this morning knocked off a two day growth in two passes with a slight touch up.

I will be disappointed when GEMini ends but glad we will have SEptember to look forward to!

day 28 yesterday

GEM OCMM with proper blade stops, fresh carbon steel blade, lots of Arko

Went way overboard and caused a bad rash.
First impressions are - bit rough but could be another GEM to fall in love with. Will try SS blade next time, giving up on the carbons.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Switched back to the 1912 + GEM PTFE(6) for this morning's shave.
Great shave just before heading off to visit a customer.

GEM Junior with a well-broken-in carbon.

This was the first "full" shave I've done with this razor as I've been on a straight kick, but man, does this thing sing! It sounds like I'm running a metal leaf rake over asphalt, but when I'm done, it's smooth, irritation-free skin. I'm just about through my bin of carbon blades, then I have a pack of SS to try out and make a decision. I like the shaves I get from the carbon, but the upkeep on them is a bit of a turn off.

I don't understand why the SE's don't get more love, they are head & shoulders above a DE in my opinion, but I guess YMMV (and so far, my sample size is only the Junior and a G-Bar, so I'm no authority by any means). Does anyone know if there are any new production SE's on the market? I'm not sure that I'd buy one as I don't currently own a new razor and I doubt that would be where I'd start, but I'm curious.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Shave-7 on the same PTFE blade, using the 1912 once again. I'm finding this SE to be so easy to use, it's scary!

Day 29
G bar, fresh pella blade, Arko, TGN Silvertip.
Nice shave, but a bit unclose.
Have to shave again this morning to be socially acceptable by dinner tonight.....

Day 30, the Penultimate Shave
G bar, GEM SS PTFE coated blade(2) (still going Arley, thanks! :001_smile), Mystic Water Lime, Vie-Long 12705

Damn fine shave, little irritation on neck that i set off with the OCMM 2 days ago.

Will give the OCMM another chance with the broken in Pella blade tomorrow.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Last day of GEMini. To celebrate the month, I changed...... Nothing! 8th shave from the PTFE in a 1912. Nice and smooth and to boot, my OCMM "bite" from last week is now barely visible :blushing:

Day 31
And now the end is here and so we face the final curtain.

GEM OCMM, GEM PTFE SS (3), MW Lime, SOC Boar

No missing blade stops. No carbon steel blades.
Got a GREAT shave from the OCMM for the first time.
Might be another GEM to fall in love with.

Has been a great month of exclusively SE shaving with Gems and Ever Readys. Wonderful learning experience!

I shaved this morning with a Contour, for the fourth time this week. Still smooth. I've come to the inescapable conclusion that ASR simply did not make a bad razor.

If you consider the disposable single blade razors, are they really nothing more than light weight versions of GEMs and Injectors?

Day 31 (2)

Was practicing face lathering with Arko. Finally got it just about right and thought "Waste not, want not"

GEM OCMM, GEM PTFE SS (4), Arko, Vie Long 12705

Just a fantastic shave. 40% BBS, 60% DFS. Irritation only because of shaving twice today.

The OCMM is nothing to be afraid of!

Top Bottom