What's new

GC .68/.84, Blackland Blackbird, or Osprey?

Before pulling the trigger on a new razor, have you tried different blades? I find that when I use my Henson + with a Feather or BIC, I can get as efficient a shave as I get with my Blackbird Lite with a Wizamet or Rapira Platinum Luxe.

I went a similar route as you. I started with a Merkur Slant with a Feather blade and did not love the combo. Switched to a Henson + with the RK blade. Better, but was not in love with it. Switched to a Henson ++ with the RK. Better still.

Then I started messing with blades. The Henson + with a Feather, BIC or PermaSharp is amazing - for me. In the ++, I really liked the PermaSharps, Nacets and 7'oclock Blacks. I went back to the Merkur with a Wizamet. Excellent shave.

Don't get me wrong, I love having a nice stable of razors, brushes, blades, soaps, et. al., but...with the right blade, you may be able to get an outstanding and efficient shave with an AL-13.

That said, my fourth razor was a Blackbird Lite. While there was a learning curve, it wasn't a painful one and I was getting great shaves with it on day 1. With that razor, I really like the German Personnas

I also picked up a Blackbird with SB and OC plates. The TiBird with OC plate and a Wizamet blade is probably my favorite DE shaving combo.

But that's just my experience...
I've toyed around with different blades but haven't noticed TOO much of a difference. I will say that I haven't tried a lot of the "higher" tier samples I have yet, but I did enjoy the Feather, Voskhod, and Derby premium seemed decent. The RK blades that came with the razor are decent on the first shave, but they don't seem to like me too well.

I've toyed around with different blades but haven't noticed TOO much of a difference. I will say that I haven't tried a lot of the "higher" tier samples I have yet, but I did enjoy the Feather, Voskhod, and Derby premium seemed decent. The RK blades that came with the razor are decent on the first shave, but they don't seem to like me too well.
If you use Kais, you'll probably note a step up in aggression. It's literally micrometric, but the Kais are a bit wider than most blades.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If you use Kais, you'll probably note a step up in aggression. It's literally micrometric, but the Kais are a bit wider than most blades.
I agree... I can feel the difference immediately. They do boost the efficiency up maybe half a step... though "half a step" is subjective, of course.

I agree... I can feel the difference immediately. They do boost the efficiency up maybe half a step... though "half a step" is subjective, of course.
I love the Kais as well. What makes me wonder is that i read a post from a few years back where someone measured the sharpness of each of a wide range of blades. On the first shave, as an example, the sharpest bkade was a Feather. It had a sharpness measurement of 33 (some measure of the force needed for the blade to cut through a particular wire). The testing put Feather, BIC, PermaSharps, Nacets and 7'oclock Blacks as the sharpest with force measurements across three shaves of under "40". The guy measured the Kais and they repeatedly tested our around 50. He was so surprised with the result that he ran the test a second time. Same result.

That said, they seem sharp,smooth and almost chatter free for me. They are my go to in the Timeless .95 scalloped head as well as in my Muramasa. They almost remind me of an AC shave.

I have a SS Blackbird SB and I also have the Lite plate. Even the Lite is a bit much for me. I have the .68, .76. and .84 SB Game Changers. They are all very smooth, more efficient than the Henson and I could shave with either every day, but I like the .68 and .76 the best. Wonderful shaves.

I wouldn't ignore the members advising you to look at the Overlander either.

I vote Karve Overlander or Bison (just note they take a while for him to make and ship).

I went from the Game Changer 68 to the Overlander (and then Bison).
I liked the GC 68, but one shave with the Overlander and I knew I wouldn’t be going back to the GC.
Both Karve razors are more efficient while somehow also managing to be smoother.

My GC .68P is the mildest razor I own, and that includes two Techs and a Merkur 34C. Others say the .68P is more aggressive than the Tech, but I haven't found that to be the case.

You'd probably want to try the .84P if you want to go the GC route. I have that plate, too, and it's an amazing shave. Only moderately aggressive and absolutely smooth and comfortable. Too aggressive to be my regular shave, but I have some skin issues that most don't.

I got a Rockwell 6S, and used it for a long time. I liked the R4 plate, but the R5 plate (0.69mm) was my long-term favourite. R6 felt more uncomfortable, yet it didn't get me a better shave.

I bought the GC-68P in the hope it would be an exact but more agile version of the Rockwell R5 experience. OK, I was naive then... :D

It was more agile, but felt more like the Rockwell R4 or maybe the too tame R3 plate.

There was no GC-76P option then, so I bought the .84 — and at first I hated it! It bit me every chance it got, so I put it aside.

After a while, I made a serious effort to get on with it, and about 3 weeks later, I did. It's now my favourite.

Don't be too quick to assume it's the razor that's bitey, it might be your technique.

Last edited:
Top Bottom