What's new

Fountain Pens

What do you guys think about private reserve ink? I was going to order levenger ink but the notbook I wanted to order is out of stock so that will wait. Pendemonium has a wide selection but its all meaningless to me. I need ink and cartridge ink.

I'm waiting for those stupid notebooks to come in also - I have used them for years.

Never tried PR ink. However, you can't go wrong with Noodlers or Waterman inks.

They come in on the 20th of this month....fyi I ask about the PR because in cartridges they have the most selection ive found so far. I talked to the chick at pendemonium and she says that Noodlers is awsome and for a black aurora is fantastic. DECISIONS DECISIONS

Sean,

I do have a bottle of Private Reserve "Orange Crush" and I have been very happy with its performance. It is a nice saturated ink and dries quickly enough for note taking.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but I am not a fan of the Noodler's ink. The colors are great, but I've found that for daily use at work, it just dries too slowly; I wind up smearing it. But the wide array of colors that Noodler's offers attracted me to them, and I can't help but use the inks some times, particularly the Legal Lapis from Pendemonium (which is an exclusive color to Pendemonium). Apparently some dry quicker than others, but after 4 different colors, I've given up until I get a definite recommendation. People do seem to like the waterproof qualities some of the Noodler's inks have.

If I really have to do a lot of note taking, I tend to go with J. Herbin. The colors are more "washed out" than other inks, but in my experience they have dry quickly and there is broad array of colors offered. Waterman also dries quickly in my experience and is not as washed out.

On an different note, if you use a pen with a visible ink window, my understanding is that red inks (or inks with red in them) and more heavily saturated inks, like Noodler's and Private Reserve, can stain the window. But if you are only talking about cartridges, that wouldn't matter.

Of course, this is all just my experience.

Best,
Rich

Since im preety new at this and I bought a Rotring 600 last night on ebay that takes cartridges and converter im going to try both. As far as cartridges I think ive decided on Diamine and PR for there array of colors but pelakin and Visconte seem like something to look into as well. Four a bottle though im going to give the auroua black a go. It seems like most the colors I want are sold out.

Sean:

I have the Aurora black and it's great ink. Flows freely, dries quickly and is a nice deep black. Aurora Havana brown is one of my favorites!

I have Private Reserve Sherwood Green. Beatufiul color but is a thicker ink. I couldn't hardly get it to work in one of my pens but it worked beautifully in another. If your pen is a wet writer, it's a great ink.

I have Noodler's red-black that's very cool also. Pam at Oscarbrauns described it as writing with dried blood!

So many colors, so few pens!

gage0921 said:
I read that the noodlers is not permanet...dried blood sounds awsome.

I think very few of the standard colors are permanent no matter the maker. There are some out now that will say permanent in the name.

Scotto said:
I had a Vanishing point in fine, and the darn thing was so scritchy and stiff that I returned it. Cool pen, though.

Well--here goes my first response/post on this forum. I am a big fountain pen junkie. Wanted to give you a tip about the Namiki pens. The nibs run small so a fine is really and extra fine, medium is pretty fine, and broad is mixture between more conventional medium and broad. The vanishing nib is good with very respectable ink flow but for the way I hold my pen the clip it is cumbersome.

There are many fine pens out there but if I may suggest the three greatest fountain pens are--drum roll please--(1) Pelikan 800--you gotta be able to hold a bigger pen though--since I can it's my daily choice (2) Waterman Edson--a bit heavy though and the result is tiring with prolonger use (3) Parker Duofold. Other favs of mine include Aurora 88 large and yes the piston fill Montblanc LeGrand. Best avoided in my opinion are Caran d'Arche fountain pens, Cartier pens, Waterman Serenity--I've been disappionted.

Oh and by the way--thanks for all the shaving tips. I've been a wet shaver for a maybe 6 months now but don't have much knowledge--I use AOS stuff. Hope to gain more refinement. But when I saw a fountain pen thread--man I'm there.

The best ink IMO is Aurora black--beautiful stuff.

MJB (aka Marc)

Marc:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your input on the fountain pens. I agree with you on the larger pens. I thought my preferences would run the opposite way and my first pen was a Pelikan M200. It was too small for my liking, especially if I'm writing more than just a few sentences. My absolute favorite pen is my Sailor 1911. It's a large pen and a wonderful writer.
Two thumbs up on the Aurora black also!

i never told you guys but i got a sailor 1911 in black. Medium nib with the black ink. It is a very smooth writer. the medium tip allows my flourishes to be expressive and also doubles as a good cartooning pen.

I'm even writing in a small moleskine diary.

tuesday march 7, 2006

I am going to kick tonyespo's butt if he outbids me again on a toggle razor.

mark the shoeshine boy

My Rotring 600 RB broke this morning. I went to pull off the cap and the whole front section came apart. A brass collar on the inside had broken. Does anyone know Rotring's return procedure?

My guess is that if you send the pen to the following adress they will just send you a knew one.

Rotring Pen Repair
c/o Sanford Corp.
2200 Foster Ave
Box 5100
Janesville, WI 53545
800-BEST-PEN

You can call to see if a nominal fee is needed.

MJB

MJB said:
My guess is that if you send the pen to the following adress they will just send you a knew one.

Rotring Pen Repair
c/o Sanford Corp.
2200 Foster Ave
Box 5100
Janesville, WI 53545
800-BEST-PEN

You can call to see if a nominal fee is needed.

MJB

Thanks, MJB. I ended up calling PenCity and they gave me an 800 number. Rotring is sending out a preprinted mailer for me. No questions asked. Classy company.

my first post here:)

I just wanted to chime in on noodlers. It is by far my favorite ink. if you get their permanent inks they are just about indestructible. I use the swisher midnight black at work (made by noodler's for swisher pens only) it dries in about 2-3 seconds, it is the fastest drying ink I have found. and it's a great looking black.
I know Leftys who only use the noodler fast drying inks.
I just got in some "luxury blue" yesterday, I love the color more than the original "legal lapis" the luxury blue is part of their new bulletproof line. it dries pretty fast but not as fast as the midnight black.
I use the midnight black, legal lapis (probably going to use the luxury blue in it's place) and the habenero (journal writing) on a daily basis:thumbup1:

IMHO, Nathan Tardiff makes the best ink out there.
http://members.aol.com/scaupaug/ink/
there is a page with before and after pics of testing his noodlers black.
pretty cool

I recently joined this forum, after finding that the kind of shaving that I have been doing for over 30 years is some kind of sacred act called "wetshaving". Imagine that!

I am also gratified to see that other members of the forum are afflicted with FPAD, besides their SCAD and RBAD!

I am partial to Pelikans, and I have an M800, which I got in a swap for my Parker T-1. My other Pelikans are an M200, an M150, a Pelikano or two, and a Pelikan Steno FP.
I have a 1947 model Parker 51 that is in need of repair (again), a Parker Vector, an Omas, a bunch of Sheaffer cartridge FPs and various and sundry others.

I also like to use dip pens when I can; I have amassed more nibs than I could use up in several lifetimes!

I also have IAD (Ink Acquisition Disorder), and I'm fond of purple inks of all brands, even though I usually use Pelikan Brilliant Black. I am the Adjutant/Quartermaster of our local VFW post, and the Adjutant of the local American Legion post, so I use black ink for ledger entries and checks.
Waterman's Purple is one of the nicest that I have found, a better color than Sheaffer's (new) purple. J. Herbin's Encré Violette Pensée is also an attractive shade. I have purples from Conway-Stewart, Levenger, Pelikan, Noodler's, Private Reserve, and probably others. I suppose that I should try a purple shaving cream, such as Trumper's Violet, to go along with the purple inks.

Ahh, the fountain pens! I too, recently joined the fountain pen craze. I was cleaning out my pen drawer and found an old cheapy A&W Marquis fountain pen that took only cartridges. I started using it until I decided I need something more professional to go showing off in the hospital. After an extensive search I ended up picking up a Pelikan 400 Fine and a bottle of Legal Lapis by Noodler' from Sam at Pendemonium.com. She was great to work with and answered all of my questions without reservation. Now that the Pelikan is flowing, I have started to look around for a second pen to compliment the first. I initially thought about a cheaper pen (~$50), then a Namiki VP Fine, and now I have even kicked around a Sailor 1911 XF. I'll try to add a pic later.

Top Bottom